Day and night cycle - feature or speculation?

Actually, I thought it looked quite good in the videos shown today.

My point exactly. It LOOKED good. It adds absolutely nothing relevant to the game content. If it is already a feature... then fine; but leave it alone and worry about other things.

Um... day night cycle? How does that make any sense when each turn represents anywhere from months to centuries? Please... lets not focus on irrelevant eye candy when there are much bigger concerns.
Uhm... Leaders that represent Civilizations? How does that make any sense when the game lasts for 6000 years? Not everything has to be "realistic" to be fun.

Also, why exactly do you even enter the thread that, as the title suggests, is about the day and night circle if you already know you're not interested? If you want to focus on other things then guess what - there's tons of threads that focus on other things. But don't tell other people what they should or should not care about.

I for one still hope they add an ongoing day and night circle to the game, and I care a lot about that.

My point exactly. It LOOKED good. It adds absolutely nothing relevant to the game content. If it is already a feature... then fine; but leave it alone and worry about other things.

Well, they seem to have the cycle down pretty well and the game still has 5 months to go. Plenty of time to work on other stuff.

Also can I please point out that the Day/Night was only designed for certain wonders, but given that the engine already supports that all they have to do is add a button that fires a script that slowly and incrementally changes lightining. It's not rocket science and an easy to debug and CHEAP feature to add.

It's there, so why not add it for flavor if they can afford it.

Well, they seem to have the cycle down pretty well and the game still has 5 months to go. Plenty of time to work on other stuff.

What matters to me is that they even considered wasting the time on this and that it matters to anyone. It is rather telling about the priorities of our culture. If you want to play in the dark... I suppose that is your cup of tea but a day night cycle doesn't even make sense in this game. Someone using up their own time on a mod that accomplishes this (because they like playing in the dark) is really the only way this should even enter the picture.

This is a toggle issue now
Even if its not in the base game, expect someone to mod it in within the first week.

IMHO. There will be a day night toggle options in the final game. Under graphics settings. :p

Primem0ver: I take good features and A.I. over graphical effects every day, you are right about that.

It's just that, extra, but very very cool one in my opinion.. besides it's all abstract, the battle between spearmen takes decades to finish.

That's a good catch. Doesn't move in the preview-footage, so it's probably not implemented yet, but given that they have an UI-Element I'd say that pretty much confirms that we will have a day-night cycle. Which is great.

I guess the most obvious assumption is that the game will swap between day and night every 6 turns?

do you think certain buildings or units will get bonus for night or day? example - unique unit warrior gets +15% strength when attacking at night.

I assume they'd probably add the ability to toggle the cycle off, so I find that to be unlikely.

Game art doesn't really detract from other areas of game development, because they're worked on by different people. If Firaxis hired fewer artists, then they might have more of a budget to invest in e.g. AI programmers, but other than at that very general level, it's not like the artists are going to be able to cut short what they're doing and instead work the AI.

Game art doesn't really detract from other areas of game development, because they're worked on by different people. If Firaxis hired fewer artists, then they might have more of a budget to invest in e.g. AI programmers, but other than at that very general level, it's not like the artists are going to be able to cut short what they're doing and instead work the AI.

I see your point. However, if Firaxis would get a handle on some map improvements that should be made (such as a greater variety of features - trees in particular and terrains; ocean terrains in particular along with accompanying resources and terrain improvements) so that that maps are more diverse and scientifically accurate, the artists would have their hands full.

Top Bottom