DCM/RTW balance

CaptainKoloth

Chieftain
This question is probably about 11 years late, but heck, better late than never.

I’ve been getting back into Civ IV recently with the intent of getting to some of the mods I’d never gotten around to. One of these is Road to War. Having grown up on the Civ II WWII scenario, I was really excited to play this.

... so is it just me, or is this scenario totally broken and unbalanced? The problem I’m having, and it seems to be related to the DCM mod incorporated in RTW, is that as far as I can tell, DCM can be easily broken by spamming artillery stacks. Because of whatever’s happening with the combined arms combat resolution employed by DCM, just combining lots of artillery pieces seems to totally annihilate any other unit in the battlefield. And not in a “that’s because it’s powerful” way, but in a “this appears to be a bug or exploit in the mechanic” way.

Has anyone else noticed this? Apologies if this is super well known, as you can tell by my timing I may be just a bit behind the times here. Don’t suppose there were ever any fixes for this issue?

Do you play the Road to War scenario that shipped with BtS or the improved and updated version by kiwitt you can find in the mod forum here?

I don't know much about the mod/scenarios, but it appears the mod forum is still somewhat active, including the creator. I recommend posting this over in that subforum in C&C here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-road-to-war.265/

The folks there likely have more experience with this issue and maybe it has been addressed in some way but later updates or a modmod.

You can can also request that the thread be moved to that forum by clicking the "Report" link at the bottom left of the OP.

Top Bottom