Dear Firaxis, your game is crashing on almost every platform

A few weeks ago I completely uninstalled the game and then re-installed it. The frequency of the crashes was a little lower after that but still no complete game without several crashes possible. So annoying.

I really wonder what causes this, because i really don’t experience this at all… wonder if it happens more often with one video card builder than the other ? That HAS happened before on some games like watchdog or cyberpunk

edit: I have a nvidia gtx 1060 btw… great card if a little old… on a -5 year old alienware desktop

Last edited:
I really wonder what causes this, because i really don’t experience this at all… wonder if it happens more often with one video card builder than the other ? That HAS happened before on some games like watchdog or cyberpunk

edit: I have a nvidia gtx 1060 btw… great card if a little old… on a -5 year old alienware desktop

Agreed with this. I don't know my exact specs, but I'm playing this game on a laptop, and I've also played the full game including NFP and all that on my old laptop, which dates to late 2016. I'd say I get at most one crash every three full games at normal game speed with a normal map size and everything. And half of the time it's that bug where it crashes if you click at the exact wrong time before your turn begins.

Edit: What's the possibility that destabilizing mods are involved?

Agreed with this. I don't know my exact specs, but I'm playing this game on a laptop, and I've also played the full game including NFP and all that on my old laptop, which dates to late 2016. I'd say I get at most one crash every three full games at normal game speed with a normal map size and everything. And half of the time it's that bug where it crashes if you click at the exact wrong time before your turn begins.

I think that since the very beginning, the game has crashed for me about 3-4 times overall !

Except for a small window where it crashed in just about every game, and yes, THAT was due to a mod… Found out which one by trial and error, reloading game that crashed and activating/deactivating my mods in order…

But I get a feeling that what the people are mentioning here goes beyond mod bug honestly.

Not using any mods. Got a couple of turns in today and it went again.
Laptop is about 1 year old.

Not using any mods. Got a couple of turns in today and it went again.
Laptop is about 1 year old.

Strange.

Have you attempted verifying files or, failing that, a full re-install?

In my case I did a full re-install of the base game on both machines and didn't get any crashes. I then installed the five mods I like to use and still no crashes. Then I installed Rise and Fall and almost immediately the game became unplayable on both machines. Removed Rise and Fall and the game has been rock solid ever since. I have no doubt that on both of my machines the crashes are a direct result of installing Rise and Fall.

In my case I did a full re-install of the base game on both machines and didn't get any crashes. I then installed the five mods I like to use and still no crashes. Then I installed Rise and Fall and almost immediately the game became unplayable on both machines. Removed Rise and Fall and the game has been rock solid ever since. I have no doubt that on both of my machines the crashes are a direct result of installing Rise and Fall.

Did you still have those mods active when installing Rise and Fall? They might be incompatible with the expansion.

No I haven't. I just want to use the product I bought. I don't want to be screwing around.
Unfortunately, that comes with the territory of playing games on a PC. Consoles are for plug and play, PC games not infrequently require mucking around with to get them to work properly. If you're on Steam, verifying files is simple and easy, just a few clicks and it does it for you. Or you can try reinstalling it which should in theory also work.

That it's not happening to everyone suggests that it's a problem with your specific setup and not the game in general. The easiest thing to fix is if it's a bad install - verifying files and/or reinstalling the game should fix that. Otherwise, the problem is with your gear (not that its necessarily broken, but it might not like Civ 6 for whatever reason). That's a lot more complicated to fix, so verifying files is much better if we can fix it that way.

No I haven't. I just want to use the product I bought. I don't want to be screwing around.

The entire purpose of both verifying files and reinstalling is to ensure that the product you bought is functioning correctly.

Sometimes, something in a computer just goes wrong. Verifying files and reinstalling are both methods you can use to fix this.

The entire purpose of both verifying files and reinstalling is to ensure that the product you bought is functioning correctly.

Sometimes, something in a computer just goes wrong. Verifying files and reinstalling are both methods you can use to fix this.
Unfortunately, that comes with the territory of playing games on a PC. Consoles are for plug and play, PC games not infrequently require mucking around with to get them to work properly. If you're on Steam, verifying files is simple and easy, just a few clicks and it does it for you. Or you can try reinstalling it which should in theory also work.

That it's not happening to everyone suggests that it's a problem with your specific setup and not the game in general. The easiest thing to fix is if it's a bad install - verifying files and/or reinstalling the game should fix that. Otherwise, the problem is with your gear (not that its necessarily broken, but it might not like Civ 6 for whatever reason). That's a lot more complicated to fix, so verifying files is much better if we can fix it that way.
:hmm:
Ok. How do I 'verify?

Did you still have those mods active when installing Rise and Fall? They might be incompatible with the expansion.

I did have those mods installed when R&F was crashing so today I downloaded and installed R&F again and disabled all five of my mods. I started a new game and I'm currently at turn 307 WITHOUT A SINGLE CRASH :) I'm thinking you might be right and one or more of those mods is not compatible with R&F.

Thanks very much for your help.

Hover over the game in your library.
Right click.
Select 'Properties'.
Go to 'Local Files'.
Select 'Verify integrity of game files'.
If there are any, follow the instructions from there.

From memory, it tends to take only a few minutes unless there's something wrong.

Right click.
Select 'Properties'.
Go to 'Local Files'.

From memory, it tends to take only a few minutes unless there's something wrong.
Thanks. I was going to do it, but a few things cropped up and so it had to wait, so thanks for doing it!

Right click.
Select 'Properties'.
Go to 'Local Files'.

Thanks. I've bookmarked this in case I need it.

It could be that I've just reached the processing power limit of my average Laptop. I just played 3 hours without a problem and without having a dozen tabs open on the browser at the same time.

I'd verify anyway. It doesn't take long, it's easy and may make things run better if there is actually an issue. But yeah, if you're having issues, having other programs running won't help and browsers take a surprising amount of resources.

I stopped playing for about a year. Coming back, I am much troubled with crashes, always on loading a save. Never happened before. I had to uninstall my favourite mod (Warfare Expanded) which always used never to cause any trouble. So the game is much less stable now. (Steam, Win 10)

Top Bottom