Dear Firaxis, your game is crashing on almost every platform

I stopped playing for about a year. Coming back, I am much troubled with crashes, always on loading a save. Never happened before. I had to uninstall my favourite mod (Warfare Expanded) which always used never to cause any trouble. So the game is much less stable now. (Steam, Win 10)

Sorry, but that sounds like a simple case of "update broke the mod, mod was never made compatible". You can't blame the developer for not taking into account individual mods when updating their game.

Sorry, but that sounds like a simple case of "update broke the mod, mod was never made compatible". You can't blame the developer for not taking into account individual mods when updating their game.

Yes but it still crashes WITHOUT the mod! There is actually a thread about this on Steam. Actually, with the mod, the game crashes after 200 turns or so; without the mod it just crashes on loading saves..

Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error reading address 0xd56e0000

Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0

... whenever trying to load a game.

Yes but it still crashes WITHOUT the mod! There is actually a thread about this on Steam. Actually, with the mod, the game crashes after 200 turns or so; without the mod it just crashes on loading saves..
Agreed whole heartedly.
It matters not one iota to me what mods may be broken - the only mods I ever use are QOL ones verified for the GS pack & the NFP.
I have also tried wiping all mods altogether, verifiying the install & even uninstalling everything & reinstalling it - makes zero difference.
Yet on the same system both Humankind & Old World run flawlessly

Well Civ 6 ran flawlessly a year ago with all the mods I normally use.

NOW here is a challenge. Explain this one. I start up the game - Single player - Resume -> CRASH EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Try again - load last save from current game -> CRASH EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Try again - load last autosave -> CRASH EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Try again - load a save from a previous game -> it works!
Now load last save from current game -> it works!

What in heaven causes this? It seems to be the only way to continue playing.

It's likely your graphics card is overheating, causing crashes. The minimum requirements are way too low.

It's likely your graphics card is overheating, causing crashes. The minimum requirements are way too low.
Graphics card is the same as ever it was (RTX2080). I might add that another necessity is to restart Windows before running Civ 6. It takes about 10 mins all told to get the game running, which is a big disincentive to playing.

I play on Xbox one X. Have been playing for almost 2 years now. Everything was fine up until a couple of weeks ago.
Now it crashes in about every 5 turns. Constantly have to reload the game. It really sucks.
Have tried clearing the cashe, uninstalling reinstalling game. This is the only game on Xbox with such a crashing problem.

I play on Xbox one X. Have been playing for almost 2 years now. Everything was fine up until a couple of weeks ago.
Now it crashes in about every 5 turns. Constantly have to reload the game. It really sucks.
Have tried clearing the cashe, uninstalling reinstalling game. This is the only game on Xbox with such a crashing problem.

Oh No, it worked well on xbox one X for a long time

Hilariously on my iPhone it works really well

Yesterday I had Civ 6 on Linux run pretty decently, although I had to change or disable a lot of the mods (not a big deal) I use on macOS or Windows to get past the civ selection screen. I played a game to Turn 217 without any crashes, while only a few weeks ago it was likely for it to crash within 10 turns after starting a game, along with Steam at the same time. Maybe I was lucky, or Proton saved that one. CK3 is natively supported but it crashes more often and more suddenly most of the time. Civ at least has the courtesy to freeze.

Of course the performance was terrible because it isn't optimised for Linux, and especially not for my distribution, but it was playable on Strategic mode. I think it might be faster with my macbook but I wouldn't play any games on it.

The last thing I have to mention is that I was only playing Rise and Fall and had a lot of DLC turned off, like Gathering Storm and most of the New Frontiers Pack.

Oh No, it worked well on xbox one X for a long time

Hilariously on my iPhone it works really well
Hey, it worked on my laptop also and it didn't require all the Alienware technology that most computers have nowaday.

Have you checked the Steam forums for settings adjustments? I was having a lot of issues on Warhammer: TW 2 with it chunking out, but I found a settings thread there and it was like night and day, fixed everything.

I play on a laptop that is just slightly above the min reqs, and it runs hotter than the pavement in Phoenix. I have to take breaks every half hour or so and let it cool, and yes, it sits on a fan.

Late last night I had a flash of inspiraration. I disabled the Civ 5 environment skin mod. Cured! No more crashes since.

It's ironic, since IIRC, that mod originiated within Firaxis.

Late last night I had a flash of inspiraration. I disabled the Civ 5 environment skin mod. Cured! No more crashes since.

It's ironic, since IIRC, that mod originiated within Firaxis.

Glad to hear… but… is that a typo, or do you REALLY mean a civ 5 mod impacted your civ 6 game ?

never heard of an environment skin mod, so not sure whatgame it applies to and what game caused you trouble

anyways… happy to hear you sorted it out

Glad to hear… but… is that a typo, or do you REALLY mean a civ 5 mod impacted your civ 6 game ?

never heard of an environment skin mod, so not sure whatgame it applies to and what game caused you trouble

I think s/he means that it was a mod for Civ 6 that made the graphics look like Civ 5 graphics.

There already is a complete edition of Civ 6, it's called Anthology.

Oh, my bad then. I'm wondering how likely it is for such an anthology to be patched now. :mischief:

I'm also unsure what a 2 year old post by Gedemon has to do with anything?

The age of the post doesn't matter, since it's still there and pinned. It has to do with crashes reports, like it seems to have a lot in this thread. But since nobody knows if it would be useful to report crashes, i'm not sure anymore it is really useful anymore... could be handy for optimistic people though I guess. ;)

The age of the post doesn't matter, since it's still there and pinned. It has to do with crashes reports, like it seems to have a lot in this thread. But since nobody knows if it would be useful to report crashes, i'm not sure anymore it is really useful anymore... could be handy for optimistic people though I guess. ;)
Ah right, O just wasn't sure what your were trying to get at. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom