Declaring war while the troops already in target land?

LukaSlovenia29

Emperor
Hi.

I've recently noticed that if a civ A has troops in civ B's territory and A declares war on B (or B on A), the troops remain within that territory. How long has that been in place? What was the reason behind this? It seems very exploitable...

Thanks for the replies.

Hi.

I've recently noticed that if a civ A has troops in civ B's territory and A declares war on B (or B on A), the troops remain within that territory. How long has that been in place? What was the reason behind this? It seems very exploitable...

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I have seen that too. I thought that the army should be teleported outside of the territory.

But if they are the one declaring war, their troops will be pushed out. So it is not very exploitable.

While when enemies troop in your land, and you suddenly DOW, lets say that you suggested the troops to be pushed out. It will totally break their formation and their troops will be scattered. It will be far easier to exploit IMO.

But if they are the one declaring war, their troops will be pushed out. So it is not very exploitable.

While when enemies troop in your land, and you suddenly DOW, lets say that you suggested the troops to be pushed out. It will totally break their formation and their troops will be scattered. It will be far easier to exploit IMO.
I had situation that a civ had open borders with me, went under my cities, DOW me and HADN'T been teleported out. Now that is exploitable.

It does seem exploitable if you're not expelled, though. I could just get an Open Borders deal and then put a ring of troops around a key AI city. Now I'd know that I can get away with anything like spying, stealing land with Citadels, etc. because if the AI declares war on me then I'll have a huge strategic advantage when the war starts. The troops need to be expelled to make it fair.

It's funny that reminds me of Civ 1, the original game. There were no borders so there was nothing stopping you from just fortifying multiple units around whichever city you wanted, and the other player couldn't work the tiles. It was very annoying.

I had situation that a civ had open borders with me, went under my cities, DOW me and HADN'T been teleported out. Now that is exploitable.

Tried the last beta yesterday, surprised and 'scared' when it happened.
Had exchanged open borders with unfriendly neighbor civ, in few turns his units swarmed into my not-well-defended territories (I mostly keep the bulk of my units next to the borders), then suddenly he DOWed me, his units remained there and I shat my pants. The war ended with me getting one of his cities and PTSD.

If before I was already hardly inclined to concede open borders to the AI, now I think I will never give it, only request it from civs I intend to conquer by exploiting this feature.

Hi.

Thanks for the replies.
I think this is a drawback with civ5 one unit per tile, in civ4 open borders work better.
Its even worse w/o vp because you can mess with ai using missionaries that dont need open borders.

I never never never give open borders to ai... in civ 5 or vp.

I think it's a feature: it forces you to think before opening your borders. Otherwise the only downside are missionaries (who can be a pain, of course - don't want to minimize that!).

That said, I agree it's easier for the player to abuse it than the AI. But it's also easy to avoid abusing it - which is what I tend to do.

I think the main issue that’s already been mentioned is there is very little incentive to open my borders. If I’m not going for CV there is really no point

I think the main issue that’s already been mentioned is there is very little incentive to open my borders. If I’m not going for CV there is really no point
I don't remember in which mod I've found it (probably the CEP, but not sure), but there was a cool feature of "For each shared open border, you have +2% to gold generation".
(I suppose a boost to trade routes when you have open border would also be a meaningfull feature)

Probably more a modmod things than a things to add in VP, but I quite liked the idea.

I don't remember in which mod I've found it (probably the CEP, but not sure), but there was a cool feature of "For each shared open border, you have +2% to gold generation".
(I suppose a boost to trade routes when you have open border would also be a meaningfull feature)

Probably more a modmod things than a things to add in VP, but I quite liked the idea.
or, probably easier and more sensible: trade routes to open borders generate more yields.

or, probably easier and more sensible: trade routes to open borders generate more yields.
This is already the case.

20%, if I remember. It should show up in the tooltip when you try to establish a trade route.

And of course it's also helpful for tourism, which is important even if you aren't going for a CV. I give away OB whenever it's not an obvious threat.

And you have no issues with units cluttering and preventing your stuff moving around?

Top Bottom