Defensive Buildings in Puppets/City States

psparky

King
There have been a few threads and changes relating to defensive buildings in puppets and city-states, especially liberated CS, the issue being that captured cities are so weak and defensive buildings are not sufficiently prioritized. I had an idea and am wondering if it has any merit.

What if defensive buildings, at least walls and castles, were not destroyed upon city capture?

Also, If this were adopted, what could be changed to rebalance the game so that war and city capture don't become even stronger?

Last edited:
In my opinion, war is strong enough as-is and this isn't necessary. Liberated CS were buffed a while back to gain a free garrison upon liberation.

This isn't an outright buff to war since it also makes cities harder to capture.

I agree that it's just weird for cities to fall so easily immediately after conquest. A particularly weird interaction is that a unit which conquered the city is much more vulnerable to attacks inside the city compared to outside.

This isn't an outright buff to war since it also makes cities harder to capture.

I agree that it's just weird for cities to fall so easily immediately after conquest. A particularly weird interaction is that a unit which conquered the city is much more vulnerable to attacks inside the city compared to outside.

A good point.

I’ve thought that perhaps a city in revolt should have its defense increased by, say, double the population of the city? Since the people are in revolt their very presence would be a form of defense.

But that is countered by the fact that the city would lose a lot of its organized defense dealing with the revolts. No way a city under internal siege is going to be harder to take than a well organized city with all forces committed to the defense.

I’ve thought that perhaps a city in revolt should have its defense increased by, say, double the population of the city? Since the people are in revolt their very presence would be a form of defense.

This is probably too gamable by using Inquisitors to keep ticking a city to revolt while it's under heavy attack, especially if you're waiting for reinforcements to arrive.

Top Bottom