• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Deity Challenge - Honorable Germany

RedRover57

Emperor
Since there has been much discussion around this lately I offer up this challenge. The settings are Germany - Deity - Standard Pangaea map - Raging Barbarians - all DLC.

Not a particularly difficult looking map. However, here is the challenge:

Challenge

No Tradition policies allowed
No Liberty policies allowed
Honor tree must be completed first before taking any other policies
Domination VC

Link to opening screenshot in the spoiler:

Spoiler :

Good luck!

Attachments

• AutoSave_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    625.1 KB · Views: 320
you can reset the hot key for taking screenshots in Steam settings.

Do you mean honor must be completed first as in the first to be completed before another one is even begun or is it possible to take a few other policies before finishing honor ?

Cant play it anyway, requires a map dlc i dont have

Do you mean honor must be completed first as in the first to be completed before another one is even begun or is it possible to take a few other policies before finishing honor ?

Cant play it anyway, requires a map dlc i dont have

i think the rules are very clear: you can pick other policies before finishing honor (except in trad and liberty) but you cannot finish any other tree before finishing honor.

The rules were not clear - must finish Honor first implies that you must do only all of Honor policies first (as in you get this done before doing something else).

The OP said:

Honor tree must be completed first​

This would allow you to take some policies in Piety, Patronage, etc. before finishing Honor. Doesn't require that you open Honor first.

Screenshot start position:
Spoiler :
I'm having issues with screenshots in-game (the game reloads when I try) therefore if someone else wants to post the starting screen then have at it.
F12 has been picked by Steam for screenshots, but also by Civ 5 for reloading the last autosave, that's the conflict. However, Steam allows you to change the shortcut key; Steam > settings > in-game > screenshots.
But Steam often refuses to take screenshots altogether, for me at least. I had to use an external screenshot taker for the above screenshot.
I recommend you copy my link to the screenshot and add it to the first post.

At least the title is clear. So I think it means Honor should be taken and completed first.

By the way, the starting location is ......very dry.

The OP said:

Honor tree must be completed first​

This would allow you to take some policies in Piety, Patronage, etc. before finishing Honor. Doesn't require that you open Honor first.

That's right strictly speak, but not what was intended, I think.

I'm sorry about the confusion. Didn't seem ambiguous to me. Anyway, please complete Honor before taking ANY other policies. After completing Honor (I had it completed well before turn 100 due to all of the barbs) feel free to choose any other policy trees except for Tradition and Liberty, which are off-limits for the entire game. I will update on my first 120 or so turns shortly. Interesting game so far.

I read it as "complete honor before taking any other policy" too. Btw, sounds interesting - will give a try.

gah,
Just when I was actually considering taking crogmagnus' challenge from another thread to play a generic civ with honor...
raging barbs? I freaking hate Deity barbs...
might try it anyway

Interesting challenge. I must say that if we are surrounded by close AIs the barbs might be cleaned up fasdetr than we think and reduce the effectiveness of Germany. But we also might get more workers. So i guess that a no self built workers and lot of early units is necessarily a strong opening.

Settling on the gem seems attractive. Fast 2nd city+granary to send a food caravan to cap can help too.

My first 120 turns:

Spoiler :
I settled one tile SW near the mountain, which unfortunately put the granary resources in ring 3. Luckily, another deer opened up in ring 2 and I bought the tile ASAP. Starting build order was Scout - Monument - Scout - Granary - Archers/Spears. My initial warrior went N, upgraded to spear from a ruin and found America quickly who had settled city 2 toward me. I DoWed him before T10 and stole a worker (I eventually captured a settler as well for a second worker). In between building units I settled another city to the NE on the mountain/river near the wine. NC was built around T85 as I side-tracked to Construction first (and BW).

I was pretty lucky with ruins. I think the AI has a hard time with raging barbs so there were quite a few ruins found while exploring with 2 scouts. One of them was faith and I got an early pantheon (food from camps) without building a shrine, but didn't bother with a religion as Babylon's spread quickly. His pantheon is Desert Folklore (not useful to me), but he also has happiness from shrines and temples which are both good.

During the first 60-70 turns I farmed barbs since there were plenty of camps that kept popping up in the fog to the south. Didn't get too much from the UA as I generally tried to keep the camps alive for farming culture. I think I ended up with one each of brute, horseman and pike from the UA so far, with one failure.

Washington eventually sent some troops at me but I had upgraded my archers to comp bows by that time and pushed him back easily. My early DoW forced him into Honor as well and he was nice enough to build the Statue of Zeus for me. I puppeted 3 cities from him in total (including his capital), leaving him with one, and made peace around T105. After taking the third city I was DoWed by both France (who had settled a city near Washington) and Indonesia (who is clear across the map!). A few turns later I was DoWed by Poland (also clear across the map). This really points out how broken the game is after the patch as the AI chain DoWs after you take a couple of cities, even if you don't completely wipe out the civ.

At T120 I have fought off the initial push of Napoleon. My current army consists of 7 crossbows (all with Logistics and soon to have Range - I lost one in the war with America), 5 pikes, 3 horsemen (soon to be knights). I need to keep a few of these units in the south for barb duty. The rest will take Nappy's closest city easily then push toward his capital. He built the Great Wall so it will be my heavily promoted bows vs. his GW and musketeers. Luckily I have 4 GG's already for potential citadel bombing. I'm not sure if I will see any troops from the other blockheads to the west, but I have some CS allies as buffers.

I took Commerce opener after finishing Honor but wonder if Patronage would be better. The biggest issue will be happiness as I go forward as my trading partners will completely dry up (and without Monarchy or Meritocracy to help). Currently I have no trade routes either, but making money from the Honor finisher as long as there are enemy troops to kill. I am also lagging a bit in Science as Education has been delayed to go for crossbows and knights first.

10+ cleared Barb camps - net result: 1 Brute. Ragequit, Turn 150.

Spoiler :
I sent my Warrior the sweet spot direction to the West. Woo hoo, 2 ruins! 1st one 20 Culture! I'm going to get my 1st SP on Turn 7! Honor....woo hoo...:( Next one is upgrade to Spearman though, which is sweet. Swoop in on another Ruin Turn 20, thank goodness I can choose Camp Food pantheon. Nope, rough map for me.

I built/bought two Settlers and dropped them right around Turn 60, one on Stable Acres to the West and one on the River/Hill/Mountain/Wine/Ivory/Other stuff you would get if your borders expanded at a Traditional pace but Honorman loses to his neighbors spot. Gold was never a concern, because of so much Ivory, but Food was hard found.

Washington covets my lands right up until Turn 50 when he asks for a DoF. Yeah, sure. Then he wants help roughing up Nebuchadnezzar. Yeah, sure. Hey, neat, France wants to pick a fight with Neb too. Walk, walk, walk, walk, surround Dur-Kurisomething, double-peace deal and Germany is sitting there 1000 klicks from home looking stupid with no allies against the tech and point leader. Awesome.

Hmm I'm getting an error about a DLC missing which I haven't seen in a long time. I have pretty much every DLC I can think of. Downloaded the scrambled continents map pack to see if that would but no dice.

Bummer :(

Hmm I'm getting an error about a DLC missing which I haven't seen in a long time. I have pretty much every DLC I can think of. Downloaded the scrambled continents map pack to see if that would but no dice.

Bummer :(

Me too.

Top Bottom