[GS] Deity Shuffle Map with Dido

Fluphen Azine

What is Fluphen Azine?
So... I go into the game, this time, a little hyped up after watching some videos and reading strategy as I often do. I decide to try a Shuffle Map and All Random Deity Standard Game. No Mods and Disaster Level 2 as my usual. Although I usually only play Pangaea or Continents.

At first I see Dido and think ok this might be fun. I was just reading about Coastal Cities and all the buffs they just got. I was reading that building the MoH is even more powerful than before so I was thinking I could try that. The game is ready and I click that button to see my starting location and now I just wonder if I should re-roll or not??

Instead of re-rolling I am going to play it out but I wanted to share it here first. I am notorious for not providing a turn 1 save but I remembered this time and I have no knowledge of the map whatsoever as I have the game on pause and haven't made a move. Below is the starting location and turn 1 save if you have interest.

Even if you do not play this game or only play a little bit perhaps you can share your strategy or theory on what you would do or what is most important in this type of start??

Spoiler Turn 1 Dido Shuffle Standard :
Dido Turn 1 Shuffle Map.jpg

Attachments

• DIDO 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save
    665.9 KB · Views: 36
They may not admit it but on random deity I'm pretty sure 99/100 people on this board would reroll with a tundra heavy start when they aren't russia or canada. Even for a tundra start, the fact that you have crabs instead of fish means only the salt is a 2 food tile. There's no growth here. You could shoot to sailing and get 2 fishing boats out, because that is quite literally the only option for 2 food tiles.

The most important thing is to have cities not in the tundra. Fortunately you are dido so you can pump settler with cothon, but if you get ANY AI aggression towards you, you are toast. There's nothing redeeming about this save.

They may not admit it but on random deity I'm pretty sure 99/100 people on this board would reroll with a tundra heavy start when they aren't russia or canada. Even for a tundra start, the fact that you have crabs instead of fish means only the salt is a 2 food tile. There's no growth here. You could shoot to sailing and get 2 fishing boats out, because that is quite literally the only option for 2 food tiles.

The most important thing is to have cities not in the tundra. Fortunately you are dido so you can pump settler with cothon, but if you get ANY AI aggression towards you, you are toast. There's nothing redeeming about this save.

That is exactly what I did.
Sailing First with +1 Boat Pantheon.
Turns out the game was easier than I thought.
NW nearby and the AI didn't do so well on this map.
I find that if it isn't a Pangaea Map the AI doesn't tech as well usually.
Sorta fun game till it wasn't but I guess abusing Trade and War makes things easier compared to Rules.
I was generating 200gpt very early, which was nice, IMO.
The start made it very slow with 5 cities hard built.
I settled on the Snow Tile to get closer to the Crabs and other reasons.
Turns out the Ice Locked me in so I wasn't able too explore too much with the Special Ship.
@Sostratus There is no redemption for me anyways so why bother :)

Last edited:
They may not admit it but on random deity I'm pretty sure 99/100 people on this board would reroll with a tundra heavy start when they aren't russia or canada.

Im one of those. No shame. If the spawn I get is not at least slightly on theme with my civ, I reroll. Until I get tired with the 6th plains start and just settle and begrudgingly start building and kill everyone I meet out of spite.

If that settler spawned on plains/grasland just one tile away from tundra, or spawn on tundra but decent coast in sight, I would take it tho, I dont mind settling a 2nd city that is not going to be optimal in the immediate future, Ill just start building units/infrastructure that I will need 20-25 turns in while it grows a bit, and keep the capital busy working on another setller or military, campus, whatever.

In any case, my way to approach this would be; Settle where the warrior is, go for a harbor, (maybe settle to the left of the warrior, so I can get the +3 harbor right away) and if I can grab a religion, make it so I can build the food buildings, plus preferably Tundra pantheon for crazy faith generation. Then go for St Basils Cathedral.

All while praying to Odin that an ai wont find me 5 turns in and come say hi with their eyes lit with rage.

Last edited:
Even if you do not play this game or only play a little bit perhaps you can share your strategy or theory on what you would do or what is most important in this type of start??

My strategy : :cry: followed by hoping to find someone I can take out, city states included. Failing that, hard build, hope I can survive to airports and then start taking people out....or battleships depending on the map.

Sorta fun game till it wasn't but I guess abusing Trade and War makes things easier compared to Rules.

What happened ?

What happened ?

Long Game still playing actually. I took out Gitarja around turn 180 or so.
I have a serious problem of building all the Districts and Buildings instead of just Troops.
I also tend to Hard Build everything as well because I am too lazy to move Magnus around and figure out proper chopping technique.
I tried to take out Greece but they had some serious defensive position against my troops.
So I started in on Egypt who was a really good ally and I took out the Faith CS near her and Greece.
Her Defense was far less troublesome compared to Greece.
I'm at turn 246 and basically have to wait for Rocket Artillery.
I am ahead in Science and Diplo but I am not sure if I can finish pre turn 300 because of my poor play and late push.
Since you have interest I can play it out further.
I have played 1000s of games like this and think "oh I might lose" so I better play it out but I usually shoehorn an SV or Domination.
I find it hard to lose the game if you survive the Early Game.
All of my Civ VI loses are from getting rolled in the Early Game from poor play and not understanding Combat.

I have things to do today and probably going to the Knights/Sharks hockey game but I will mess with it some more tomorrow.
For me the AI is combating each other so I don't have to fight many troops but breaking the walls is a problem for the moment.
Finally Faith bought a Great General so that should make things easier.
Of course I am abusing Trade and the AI with all the normal tricks so I feel a little guilty but not much as I like that sort of thing.

I went back and it seems I am at turn 246 and here is the screenshots.
Not doing very good but I figure once I get Rocket Artillery I will take out Greece and Egypt and that should be game over.
I would either keep up with the Domination or go SV depending on which one is faster.

Spoiler Turn 246 :
CS Turn 246.jpg
Turn 246.jpg
Capital Turn 246.jpg
Dido Turn 246.jpg

Last edited:
Dance of Aurora to buy workers and settlers from faith. Getting a class. era golden age can be a pain in the ass though but it can work later for medieval era dedication.

EDIT: Oh already finished? That's my boy!

Not sure why I didn't take DoA when my Pantheon popped up.
Probably just miserable thinking about how awful this start is and why am I playing it :)
I think I took the builder and 10% growth because I wasn't thinking long term.
I was thinking something like... I need a freaking builder!!

Edit: Ooops oh yeah I took the boat pantheon in this game... forgot... still no excuse for not taking DoA Pantheon but I was panicking like I have no Food or Production lol.

Last edited:
Ended up with all sorts of problems and a Shoehorned SV at turn 316.
Turns out being unhappy and oil problems along with 3 emergencies, makes it difficult on your Army.
First time I was ever at phase 5 in climate change.
Flood Barrier seems to solve any problems with that.
Ended with 15 cities and razed one that flipped on me.
Another city was in the middle of the tundra snow but still contributed with Science and Gold Districts.
I could of bombed Greece 20 turns ago but figured it wasn't worth it even if I was sore at him.
Kind of a fun game and taught me some things about tundra land/starts but not sure its worth the bother for most players.
If your looking at it and asking why did he build that wonder/district or why in that place?
The simple answer is I just click stuff that seems fun or easy to build.

Spoiler Turn 316 SV :
Dido SV 316.jpg

Last edited:
Global warming worked in favour of your capital :D now it looks like at least you can sail around

Long Game still playing actually. I took out Gitarja around turn 180 or so.

I have a serious problem of building all the Districts and Buildings instead of just Troops.
I also tend to Hard Build everything as well because I am too lazy to move Magnus around and figure out proper chopping technique.
I tried to take out Greece but they had some serious defensive position against my troops.

Same, only thing that fixes my lazy builder tendency is necessity.

So I started in on Egypt who was a really good ally and I took out the Faith CS near her and Greece.
Her Defense was far less troublesome compared to Greece.

Made short work of Indonesia. Guess more cities are always better but, talk about marginal payoffs, not only is your start terrible but your nearest neighbors start is bad.

I am ahead in Science and Diplo but I am not sure if I can finish pre turn 300 because of my poor play and late push.
Since you have interest I can play it out further.
I have played 1000s of games like this and think "oh I might lose" so I better play it out but I usually shoehorn an SV or Domination.
I find it hard to lose the game if you survive the Early Game.
All of my Civ VI loses are from getting rolled in the Early Game from poor play and not understanding Combat.

Clearly your are too disciplined and effective in your playstyle. I've lost sub 300 culture and religion to AI, I ignored all the warnings thinking it was way too early for the AI. Some of the reasons (other than early war) :

Ignoring diplomacy in the early game and getting declared on by multiple AI in close proximity. I ultimately win the battles but make wrong choices (I'm shooting for religious victory, the cities I eventually take over are no help) and end up severely crippled. Why was I fixated on religious victory when I had two early wars to deal with ? No idea, but I did find that trying to balance a religious victory with tech necessary to "win" an early war can be difficult. They get to crossbows so quickly.

Well, now that I think about it, most of the losses were due to early wars that didn't finish me but were enough to set me off course. Maybe not as diverse as I thought. May have to play some more at deity.

Of course I am abusing Trade and the AI with all the normal tricks so I feel a little guilty but not much as I like that sort of thing.

If I enjoy it I don't feel any guilt, except the enjoyable kind.

I went back and it seems I am at turn 246 and here is the screenshots.
Not doing very good but I figure once I get Rocket Artillery I will take out Greece and Egypt and that should be game over.
I would either keep up with the Domination or go SV depending on which one is faster.

Really is a terrible start. If you're winning these kind of starts this easily I'm not sure there is much hope for you.

Ended up with all sorts of problems and a Shoehorned SV at turn 316.
Turns out being unhappy and oil problems along with 3 emergencies, makes it difficult on your Army.
First time I was every at phase 5 in climate change.
Flood Barrier seems to solve any problems with that.
Ended with 15 cities and razed one that flipped on me.
Another city was in the middle of the tundra snow but still contributed with Science and Gold Districts.
I could of bombed Greece 20 turns ago but figured it wasn't worth it even if I was sore at him.
Kind of a fun game and taught me some things about tundra land/starts but not sure its worth the bother for most players.
If your looking at it and asking why did he build that wonder/district or why in that place?
The simple answer is I just click stuff that seems fun or easy to build.

Yeah, lot of the mechanics are interesting but rarely come into play if you are playing too effectively. Very early I had a tundra start with Germany that turned into a "too easy, abandon" game. Was emperor and believe it was prior to Germany/production nerfs of some sort so didn't think it would really translate to a deity tundra start as bad as this.

Well played, thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom