Denying their right to self-determination

StJude1

Grand High Poobah
Been getting some really weird requests in my current game (BtS, Noble, Terra, Huge, Epic), which I'll paraphrase as follows:

The citizens of this city on a separate continent I am colonizing are rightly requesting to join some puny civilization that has never actually set foot on this continent and whose closest city is on the other side of the world, despite this city being surrounded on all sides by my cities and culture.

or

The citizens of this city I conquered over 20 turns ago are rightly requesting to rejoin their former civilization, again despite being entirely surrounded by my cities and culture, and despite the fact that I entirely cleaned that civ off the continent (leaving them a few islands far far away).

or

The citizens of this former capital that I conquered (again at least 20 turns ago) are rightly requesting to join some unrelated, puny, backwards, 2-city civ that is on the island next to me.

This is getting rather annoying. Any ideas as to the cause and or a solution? Culture slider is already on 20%, and I'm really loathe to give up my cities. And is there a penalty when I tell them to bugger off cos I'm the one in charge here?

It's a ******ed bug introduced by BTS. Just ignore it.

Even if you have 100% culture in the city, it pops up occasionally.

It was intended, but works very badly ( they can even ask to be part of a civ you haven't met yet, since it basically measures the distance to other capitals compared with yours if there are any culture issues ).

Well as long as there's no major penalty involved with not liberating them, I'll turn off the pop-ups and hang on to the cities. Does work rather badly imho, needs some tuning to make it intuitive...

I know that BTS used to have a problem with the game constantly asking for a city to join X civ, and you kept having to say no over and over again, ad nauseum.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that fixed in Dresden's patch? I usually use BetterAI, so it never happens to me anymore, but I thought that the bad implementation had been fixed...

Well, yes it does. But sometimes the pop-ups are useful. To me at least.

I forget what they actually do, to be honest :p. IIRC it's reminders like that though, they're often belated or misleading. The ultimate reason I disabled them though was just to have to click slightly less. I never actually read them anyway.

I never really got why you'd want to give up cities like that. Sure it has been possible through diplomacy screen like gifting resources, just increasing relations boost for city gifting would've been enough without advisor pop-ups.

And anyway, the measly one point diplomacy boost regardless of city size/infrastructure seems a bit skewed. I do occasionally "liberate" really dodgy cities that I regret not razing, but that's about it.

Top Bottom