Deposed Cities

TheAlakazam

Chieftain
Hi~

I was playing COnquest when one of my cities deposed us to join my opponent. Soon one of their city deposed their government to join our civ.

I want to know what other concept can cause this to happen other than the espionage mission. I know that the culture does not affect this since one of my cities deposed when the last city of my opponent was about to fall under my control.

Many thnx!! :)

P=[(F+T)*Cc*H*(Cte/Cty) - G]/D

where:
P = probability that it will flip this turn
F = # foreignors, with resistors counting double
T = # working tiles under foreign control (out of the max of 21, no matter what the cultural boundaries are atm)
Cc = 2 if foreign civ has more local culture than you, 1 otherwise
H = .5 for WLTKD, 2 for disorder, 1 otherwise
Cte = Total culture of the foreign civ
Cty = Total culture of your civ
G = # garrison units
D = factor based on relative distance to capitals (1000 * the relative distance to capitals, ranging from 0.25 to 4)

Now reorganizing this gives the required garrison as:
G = (F+T)*Cc*H*(Cte/Cty)

As you can see there is a nice set of extra factors there. Now when you take a city Cc is likely to be 2 for a long while. And then there is the culture ratio. And this is a true ratio so it could be 1.1:1, 2:1, 5:1 depending on how much culture each of you has.

Here is a thread for a flip calculator; it may better explain the above formula.

So to avoid a culture flip, you just attack the enemy and burn their high culture cities. And, avoid building a city really close to the enemy capital without attacking the capital.

Kinda, but i mostly risk it anyway.
As long as you build your OWN cities, garrison (tops one or two) units and rush a cultural building (only in long-term cities)... they seldom flip, but instead act as a military stepping-stone.

There are two culture battles that goes on when determining culture flips -- the battle between two cities, and the battle between two nations.

The city battle is the most important, because the city that is winning this battle, which means this city owns all the contested tiles between the two battling cities, has zero chance of flipping. Mean while, the national culture battle only determines the likelyhood of flipping.

To put it in another way, the culture ratio between two cities determines who flips to whom, while the culture ratio between the two nations determines how likely that flip is to occur.

According to that formula, capitals can flip? The "times distance from capitals number thing number" will never be zero, and there isn't another special thing for capitals...

SJ Frank said:
The city battle is the most important, because the city that is winning this battle, which means this city owns all the contested tiles between the two battling cities, has zero chance of flipping.

this would mean of course that if a civ is reduced to nothing but a "settler on a boat" then none of my cities can culture flip to him. so why did i lose 4 cities to the germans on one turn when all they started the turn with was one lost settler?

maybe i should be asking the question "what exactly is a "contested tile""?

Nope, there's still a chance of flip if all of your tiles are in your territory and there's foreigners in the city. The only chances of NO flip are if 1) there's no foreigners or tiles in foreign territory, or 2) if you have a large enough garrison.

Hmm. I thought you were safe from flips if the only foreigners in the city belonged to a destroyed civ AND you had no tiles in foreign lands.

rysingsun said:
this would mean of course that if a civ is reduced to nothing but a "settler on a boat" then none of my cities can culture flip to him. so why did i lose 4 cities to the germans on one turn when all they started the turn with was one lost settler?

maybe i should be asking the question "what exactly is a "contested tile""?

I guess I shouldn't have said 'zero". Even if there are no contested tiles, if your cities contain german citizens, then they can still flip (see TimBently's post).

Dreadnought said:
I don't think so

Begs the question then: Who would it flip to? It can't flip to the destroyed civ.

Personally, I've never experienced a flip when the only foreigners are from a defunct AI (and no contested tiles). In fact, I don't even bother to starve down the citizens when I'm about to conquer their last few cities. Once their last city has been taken, their previous cities have always been flip-free for me.

2 items worth a validation
- I thought the a city in total resistance (only resistors in it) could not flip. I left them empty without units
- Also a city can't flip the turn you capture it.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom