1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Detailed Worlds 2.12

Re-worked climates, rivers and custom map scripts with additional details.

1. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Did either of you try it out with low sea level? If so, was that closer?

I don't play the island maps much myself, not until we can properly adjust the AI to handle them better anyway. But, if the low sea level doesn't get you closer to what you want I'll make a new map called "Many Islands" to do just that.

2. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

Took a quick diff of updated files concerning this mod (and Larger Worlds). Looks like the only changes in map utilities were to MapEnums.lua, NaturalWonderGenerator.lua, and ResourceGenerator.lua. The last file is the only obvious conflict, and the change is minor...

In the initialization routine @ line 104, this...
    Code:
        elseif self.resources == 5 then
            self.resources = TerrainBuilder.GetRandomNumber(13, "Random Resources - Lua") - 6;
    is now...
    Code:
        elseif self.resources == 4 then
            self.resources = TerrainBuilder.GetRandomNumber(13, "Random Resources - Lua") - 6;
    Looks like the 'random' resource setting was probably being ignored.

No idea yet whether there are any indirect conflicts resulting from changes to the other files.

3. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Thanks for that, my internet was freaking out last night and my modem kept cycling so I couldn't actually download the whole update until tonight. I'll incorporate that fix really quick for anybody that uses that setting.

4. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

5. petemcpete

petemcpete Chieftain

Love your Mod, thanks very much for all the hard work so far.

I seem to recall you mentioning a Terra map before, do you still plan to do one? (Its my favourite type of map by far :) )

6. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Thanks! And I do plan on adding the ability to control "old world" and "new world" settings as well as the Terra style. I just have to wait until after the holidays, between my job and the Italian in-laws I don't have much free time right now but it will quiet down after the new year. :)

BrokenSky and petemcpete like this.
  7. Fierro

Fierro Warlord

Unfortunately, it crashes when I'm starting new game.

8. Preußens_Gloria

Preußens_Gloria Chieftain

Is there a possibility to change the amount of plains and mountains on continents? It seems when I play small continents the landscape is more interesting. There are more longer mountain chains dividing the map and create narrow mountain passes if you set the amount on "New". But if I play a normal continent with the same setting, I always get very vast plains and only punctural mountains. I would like to have more longer mountain chains on continent maps as well and more grassland than these boring vast plains. Also it seems that small contient map create more stone coasts while the normal contients tend to more "beaches".

9. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Anything else you can add would be a big help, I can launch it without any issues so if you have any other mods active we'll probably need to check those first.

I will see what I can do, do you have the map seed for an ugly map? If so, I can use that to better test the results of my changes without having to generate as many maps.

10. Fierro

Fierro Warlord

Well, it seems i'm just unlucky :( I had no other mods enabled except yours, but it is still crashing during game loading (probably when map is being generated). When I uncheck mod everything works fine. I've downloaded newest version few days ago.

11. Preußens_Gloria

@Seven05

Thank you. Unfortunatly not because I only see it in the settings. But I can ensure you, that I am sitting several hours restarting the map (Thank God for the "Restart Buttom"-Mod) until I finally find a nice start position.

If I use a normal continents it seems to last between never and days until I find one. If I use small continents it only needs a few restarts. I am not a programmer unfortunatly. But it looks like that the algorithm on smaller land masses tends to pull everything togther so mountain chains occur more often and plains seldom or in smaller scale. While on large land masses to algorithm tends to pull everything apart.

And I have a question. Do the values in the settings influence eachother? Which means, if I set the value for mountains hight and also the value for rainfall, does the algorithm reduce the actual amount of mountains in the final map to create more woods and rivers?

12. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

I'm sorry I don't have more time right now to help you dig into the issue more, if you can hold out until after the new year I won't be so busy. If you can sort out how to enable logging and dig through the mod logs and lua logs I can help you figure it out. I'd offer more but I'm doing this on my phone and it's tough for me to type long messages on this thing with my fat fingers :)

If you enable logging you can pull the map seed out of the lua log for the last map you generated, or just try typing something in there (and remembering what you type) or copy the seed when you start a new game that will make it easier to see exactly what you see and improve it.

The settings can have some impact on each other but only indirectly.

Plot types (waters, land, hills and mountains) are determined first followed by terrain types (grass, plains, desert, etc) and then finally features (forest, floodplains, etc). World age adjusts plot types, temperature adjusts terrain types and rainfall adjusts features. So a young world will have more mountains which may leave less land for specific terrain types and a hot world may have larger deserts which can reduce the number of forests but generally the impact isn't very significant.

But, the whole thing is random and there is a virtually limitless combination of possible results. There are some rules in place to encourage things like mountain ridges or to discourage things like mountains completely dividing a landmass but it's still random so getting a bad result is very hard to prevent. You'll see different results in small continents because the world is generated with more "noise" in the base fractal and more plates & ridges used to calculate tectonics but those same attributes are what break the continents up. Don't be afraid to try things like small continents with low sea level to get larger landmasses, combined with adjusting the number of players you should be able to get something you like.

I also don't know if the "Restart Button" mod is more prone to streaks with the game's random number generator or how well Civ 6 even handles that with regards to map generation.

13. Preußens_Gloria

@Seven05

"Don't be afraid to try things like small continents with low sea level to get larger landmasses, combined with adjusting the number of players you should be able to get something you like."

Yes, this is what I try the most time. Also the fractal-type seems to create more interesting and nice landscapes. But I still miss something like a mountain lake or rivers connected with lakes and than run unto ocean. The lakes mostly look like puddles. :) And sometimes the rivers have very odd runs, I have never seen in nature. Rivers, e.g. tend to unite into one greater one and not unite and than spread again to some "H"- oder "X"-form. :D

A touch of realism would be, if every border between continents would either be a sea or a mountain chain. Do not know whether this is programmable.

Unfortunatly, the last settings you have used are not saved. So you have to set everything new, if you want a new map. Therefore the restart is very convenient. In my experience, 50% of all mods are heavily buggy. I could run mad if in the middle of the game I have to quit because a mod prevents me from playing any further. I had some of them. So there is always a high chance to mess up with the game.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  14. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

So it seems like both this mod and your other mod (larger worlds) cause a crash on my new laptop (which is in every way superior to my old one, so it isn't specs or something like that). I've tried shutting down mods to see when I came across the problem, and the game works fine with everything except your mods turned on (I got the DLC's and 3 other player-made mods, namely AI+, Delnar's AI and thecrazyscotsman's omnibus mod). I also tried activating just one of your mods, and it crashed with both. The crash happens a short while after it starts loading, and the crash report looks like this:

upload_2016-12-28_14-51-57.png

Fierro likes this.
  15. Fierro

Fierro Warlord

I finally made your mod working! The problem was in user directory, there were cyrillic letters in folders' names. I already fixed that and now testing your mod.

16. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Sorry about the delays recently, December is always crazy for me at work so it's been tough to put time into Civ.

I can't duplicate any crashes or errors with the folders on either of my PCs that I have available to test on using the downloaded version of the mod. I wish I could offer some help but I really don't have a clue what it could be since I have no issues running it. Corrupted downloads or failed decompression of the zip files are possible but I don't see any issues with either.

17. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I think I'll just wait for the next update on both and then try again. Alternatively, I could copy the files from my old PC to my new one and remove the ones I downloaded, and see if that works. Maybe that's what I'll try out tomorrow.

18. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I tried with copying the files from my old pc, but it didn't fix the problem. Also, I can now confirm that it happens still with everything other than these mods disabled (I even disabled the DLCs).

19. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Another update, the same crash happens when I try to play with YnAMP, so it seems to be a crash in the world creating process when mods alter it. Can that information be of help in identifying where the problem lies?

20. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Update: Problem is caused by windows username having a special character in it. You can fix the problem by either making a new account or by following the instructions in the YnAMP-thread, where you have to add the files to the game files directly.