Deth McBone’s ‘Galactic Epic’ creation thread

Wow, I'm slipping. Still not done yet.
Anyway, just finished some graphics work, and I also released some internet stuff. Check it out:

Huzzah.

Yeah, I finally found a way to use it effectively.

I don't think I have EVER hit anyone with a Spartan Laser in Halo. Ever.

On the industrial improvements; you could add more, but put them between "Industrial Complex" and "Nano-Synthesis Factory." Nano-tech is really the ultimate end-all for industrial replication. There needs to be something between the two.

One way to look at industrial improvements would be the Kardashev scale. Or, alternatively, the scale could be used to represent the energy improvements.

Very interesting concept there, wolf brother, with the Kardashev scale. I had never heard of that before.

I am really trying to think here. On one hand, I need to include the actual means of production, aka the manufacturing plants, then nano-synthesis, but on the other power generation is just if not more important, aka fossil-fuel, fusion, or Dyson sphere. Perhaps an 'automated factory' to represent a fully automated industrial base, or 'orbital factory' to represent a zero-g manufacturing complex would be an inbetween from modern fabrication to molecular construction. *Sigh* So much to think about...

Okay, I need to know from those of you who beta-tested whether or not the gameplay is good enough to go to public beta. I've been doing nothing for too long. At this point this scenario needs some fine-tuning, and a lot of feedback would go a long way. Not to mention I need some fresh ideas. So guys, should I post up the beta?

Wow, Deth, that's some pretty spiffy artwork! And you made it yourself, you say? What program do you use?

I think you could probably proceed with an open beta at this point. No promises, but I'll try to find the time to play a game sometime in the next few days to see if I notice any other little things to fix. With the new graphics, is there a new version I should get?

Edit: Ah, another Blender user! For a week's worth of practice, those are some pretty good results.

It was made in Blender, which is a free open-source type program, which I found really easy to use.

Give me a day or two to update the files, because I have to fine tune some stuff. I'm trying to make it compatible with the next scenario, so I would only have to update a .biq for the next scenario.

You mentioned getting some off the net too, which ones did you make yourself?

The first six images. The ones with the "Original Artwork by Deth McBones" on the side.

The ones below are off the web.

I think any original artwork is very cool and your tastes for finding images IMO are getting better every time. :)

Thanks man.
BTW, I fixed a lot of the palette issues with those wonder splashes I released. I finally figured out how to really use the GIMP effectively with the colormap tool. I'll update those when I have the time.

Nice, I use a combination of Gimp and PSP and I'm still finding little ways to improve the palette and such. The basics are not that hard to grasp though.

Good job on your graphics so far! I use both Blender and the GIMP pretty frequently myself, so I know what level of skill is needed for those results.

Anyway, I meant to say that I played most of a game today, and I do think it's almost ready for a public beta. The gameplay itself was lots of fun. I played on Star difficulty for the first time as Earth, and got dogpiled early on. Around the time I got two colonies up and running, I lost Earth which actually turned out to be the best thing to happen to me all game, as my treasury jumped by 24 gold per turn due to not having to pay all the maintenance costs of the various wonders on Earth. (by the way, I found it nearly impossible to have more than 2 citizens working on Earth, simply because they all got unhappy. I know the text for the Planet Earth wonder said it made people unhappy, but it seemed a little much, as the planet spent most of its time with 4+ entertainers just to prevent civil disorder, and that was after building a Transmission Tower and Sports Stadium. Just FYI) Luckily, due to the fact that colonies can be made to grow very quickly, I rapidly began rebuilding my power (getting an extra 2 free techs from rebuilding the Space Agency came in handy!) and eventually took the fight back to the Solar System with Laser Tanks and Infantry, easily overcoming all the various systems one by one. I had to quit soon after, but I'm on track for a conquest victory in the next 10 turns or so. Great fun. For some reason, the VP system didn't seem to recognize the Colonial Goods units, because I had some produce in my new capital and nothing ever happened with them.

Anyway, long rambling aside, just one or two things to tweak before it's public-beta ready:
  • Work on the Civilopedia. It looks great so far, just keep it up. I think the units especially could be improved, even if the entry is just "this is a ____. It is a heavy infantry unit that can attack from a spaceship" , just so people have an idea of what each unit can do (easier than figuring it out from its stats).
  • Work on the VP system. I'm looking forward to NOT wiping everybody out in order to win, and using the colonial goods produced by expansion to work my way to the top.

Lookin' forward to the next release!

For some reason, the VP system didn't seem to recognize the Colonial Goods units, because I had some produce in my new capital and nothing ever happened with them.

A unit has to take them into the capital which means if they're already there in the first place they most be loaded up and taken out so as to be brought properly.

Thanks Philadelphus, and sorry I couldn't get the updated version up yet. I will work on those two issues right away. I don't know why but I can't find time to work on this! It's frustrating as heck. Good news is that school is over in two weeks bad news is finals are next week, so studying is top priority. When I find the time I'll update what I have for you guys, then work on the Civpedia for the public beta, to be released in 3ish weeks. Gah. So close!

@againsttheflow: Thanks, I didn't know that. The VP system actually works just fine. I even managed to win a game with victory points, which was a lot of fun(I played on the difficulty level above Star on the First Few Steps scenario, and it provided a nice challenge).

One other small glitch I noticed was that the graphic for the Military Base didn't display properly in the Civilopedia.

I also learned the extreme strategic importance of Argonite -- sure is a lot easier if you have it...:rolleyes: Congratulations on crafting a good resource system with real depth, by the way. It adds a lot to the game.

Okay guys, a little status update:
I've finished my finals, but now I must move back to my home town, find a job, and attend a funeral. This means the public alpha won't be out for a week, but after that rapid progress will soon follow. Yay.

It's alright Deth, you take your time. I think we all know how hectic moving and the end of a semester can be, especially with a funeral tossed in - we're all sorry for your loss, and hope to hear from you about this project whenever you're ready.

Top Bottom