[GS] Did anyone lose on Emperor or Immortal, small map, except to Religious Victory?

Just interesting what your experience is, primarily with Gathering Storm.

I just won Culture Victory on Emperor but on a tiny map, and it was too easy compared to my previous games on a small map. I was also thinking of switching from Emperor to Immortal to get more challenge while still having a choice in playing path and having fun.

It's a bit hard to judge how things are with just one game to go by. It also depends on what civ you were playing, how you were playing, who your opponents were and numerous other things. If you were a cultural civ or focusing on culture while none of your opponents were, then an easy culture win is very likely.

I play sort of opposite, though, I love huge maps (or bigger). My current game is with Phoenicia on a Gigantic map with 15 other civs. And I am currently second place in culture while pretty much ignoring the culture game. I have maybe 4 cultural districts now, in an empire of some 25 cities, I've had one Great Writer so far. The leader is Kupe who I doubt is even trying, given how much culture they can inherently generate. I've played some smaller maps (mainly to ding the achievements), but I don't like how limited they feel to me.

In the end, though, only you can really judge what works for you. Maybe try larger map sizes ... more opponents to work against may up the challenge for you without it feeling restrictive in how to play the game. Or give Immortal a go and see if that fits your playstyle. From my understanding, playing on the higher difficulties is mostly a game of working to overcome the initial advantages the AIs get (extra settlers and technologies). I don't play on Immortal or Deity just because I don't like the inevitable initial rushes if I don't focus on my military enough. King is my usual setting for a laid back experience, and Emperor for a more active game.

Or try a couple more games at your current settings to see if your one culture game was just a fluke or that it is just too easy for you. At least they should be quicker games so you'll find out fairly soon.

I would suggest you switch to regular sized (or even bigger maps). Small maps are just too easy in general (probably an entire difficulty easier if you ask me)

I would suggest you switch to regular sized (or even bigger maps). Small maps are just too easy in general (probably an entire difficulty easier if you ask me)

There are sizes less than huge? :D

Lol... I started a game as Alex on small/emperor/pangea. It was supposed to be a relaxing warm-up before moving up to Immortal/Deity but I let myself hit a golden age right when it was time to take out Lautaro. +10 Pikes are bad for horses :(

Did you ever lose on standard maps then? What difficulty were you playing at?

P.S. I don't like the idea of managing many cities on standard maps. And it also must be much more difficult to win Diplomatic Victory due to many opponents ganging up against you with lots of total Favor.

Last edited:
Did you ever lose on standard maps then? What difficulty were you playing at?

P.S. I don't like the idea of managing many cities on standard maps. And it also must be much more difficult to win Diplomatic Victory due to many opponents ganging up against you with lots of total Favor.

I don't believe the size of the map overly affects the size of your empire, unless you push yourself to expand. The number of cities you mange is pretty much directly up to you. Yes, a larger map means more land to be settled, but it also means more civs filling up that lang. Even if you are going domination, you don't have to keep any of the cities you take along the way. You can simply raze them on conquering (which will help with maintaining loyalty with the cities you do keep), or give them back in the peace deal (if you are doing more surgical strikes to just get capitals or just want to pillage) or trade normally at some later date.

The main advantage to larger maps is that you will have more opponents. If you are playing a game with just 3 other opponents, then you will find that certain victory types will be pretty easy as none of the AI will be competing in that area. In a game with a dozen civs, it's much more likely you will have an opponent or two in your chosen victory path (Still not a guarantee, I've had at least one huge map game where no one went culture).

Diplomatic victory can be more of a hassle to achieve on larger maps, specifically due what you mentioned. You will find yourself against a voting bloc of AI civs taking away your VPs if you get too high. You will eventually win through, as you will maintain your balance of favour while all the other civs will end up spending theirs. But if you have an active map, there may be emergencies you can join to get VPs from, and there's now two wonders you can build for points as well.

Try a Small map with low Water levels if you like the scale of Small but want the wider feel. I feel like the larger maps add too much water (realistic but makes gameplay duller).

More civs is always harder than fewer since far more people are competing for a limited number of Wonders and Great People.

Top Bottom