Different Space Terrain

sepamu92

Prince
Hello all. I know there already are a few space terrain mods out there, but they didn't work the way I wanted them to, so I made this one. Unlike most other space mods, the "Space" terrain isn't represented by ocean. Instead, all main terrain is land. Feel free to pick this apart however you wish, since I've made it from basically anything I could find.

Spoiler Terrain :
Grassland = Space
Bonus Grassland = a small asteroid (be sure to turn on "Show Food and Shields on Map" to show properly)
LM Grassland = unchanged space

Plains = Terran/Terrestrial Planet
LM Plains = unchanged terran planet, looks the same
Forest = Rock Planet (use only on plains)
LM Forest = Ice Planet (use only on plains)
Mountains = Gas Planets
Snow-Capped Mountains = Ringed Gas Planet
LM Mountains = Brown Dwarf

Hills = Asteroids
Jungle = Comets (Kuiper Belt etc)
Tundra = Nebula

Marsh = Main-Sequence Star
Desert = Neutron Star
Flood Plain = Pulsar (be sure to turn on "Show Food and Shields on Map" to show properly)
Volcano = Red Giant (eruption is a cropped version of Smoking mirror's antimatter missile)
LM Desert = Black Hole

Coast = Dark Matter
Sea = Dense Dark Matter
Ocean = Superdense Dark Matter

River = Moon

Road = Gray Space Lane
Railroad = Blue Warp Lane
Mine = a centered version of the Mine from other space mods
Irrigation = Orbital Farms

Goody Huts = Ancient Space Probes

Cities = Transparent
Walled Cities = Red Satellites

Screenshots!
Spoiler A solar system with a blue star :

Spoiler A neutron star, a red giant, and a pulsar (graphics determined by tnt.pcx) :

Spoiler Some nebulae, and a black hole :

Spoiler My "dark matter" (water squares); turn up your brightness if it's hard to see :

Here it is: Download!

Please report any bugs you find. Enjoy :)

Very interesting stuff here. I like the stars a lot, and the idea of lost space probes is especially cool.

If you haven't discovered it already, you will find that LM cannot be placed on LM. If it becomes possible to terraform an Ice Planet you'll find it has melted completely into empty space.

with that caveat, it looks like a very interesting concept.

If you haven't discovered it already, you will find that LM cannot be placed on LM.
I got all the features to work via editor. Maybe I might make a Space Mod ;)
If you've discovered a way to place LM on LM that's a major breakthrough! Please start a thread describing your technique. Be sure to include a set of 3 pictures showing (1) The base LM terrain (2) the base terrain with LM terrain overlayed (3) the base LM terrain exposed after the overlayed LM terrain has been removed by worker action.

Thanks very much for the kind words everyone :)

If you haven't discovered it already, you will find that LM cannot be placed on LM. If it becomes possible to terraform an Ice Planet you'll find it has melted completely into empty space.
Really? I didn't think so... If I place LM plains on a plot, then LM forest over it, and it's cut down, doesn't it turn into LM plains?

I got all the features to work via editor. Maybe I might make a Space Mod ;)
Please do! The more the better :goodjob:

Really? I didn't think so... If I place LM plains on a plot, then LM forest over it, and it's cut down, doesn't it turn into LM plains?
If you don't want to take the time to do a little forum search on all the prior discussions, some of which I've been involved in, or don't trust what is said there, then try it yourself. Maybe we've all overlooked something and you will open up new modding possibilities for all of us. Seriously.

If you don't want to take the time to do a little forum search on all the prior discussions, some of which I've been involved in, or don't trust what is said there, then try it yourself. Maybe we've all overlooked something and you will open up new modding possibilities for all of us. Seriously.

I didn't disbelieve you, I was asking for clarification. But never mind. I did a quick test, and apparently when you place LM plains, then LM forests over it, and your worker clears forest, it leaves a non-LM plains. And planting forest on that just gives non-LM forest. But this doesn't make a difference anyways since LM and non-LM plains look the same in this mod. I'll change the first post. Thanks for the heads-up Blue Monkey!

If you've discovered a way to place LM on LM that's a major breakthrough! Please start a thread describing your technique. Be sure to include a set of 3 pictures showing (1) The base LM terrain (2) the base terrain with LM terrain overlayed (3) the base LM terrain exposed after the overlayed LM terrain has been removed by worker action.

I just put some LM Plains and put LM Forest over it and it worked :dunno:

No, what he's saying is that if in game (not in the editor, but the actual game), if you use the worker actions plant or chop forest, the new terrain will not be LM.

Great work on the terrain, by the way! :goodjob:

I just put some LM Plains and put LM Forest over it and it worked :dunno:
If you think that I'm mistaken, demonstrate it, as I suggested. Give us a before & after screenshot from the game of a worker terraforming the ice planet (lm forest) back to terran planet (lm plains).

Regardless of our already know problems with LM terrain, this is beautiful, and an interesting concept that I've been struggling with myself for some time. It'll be good to see where this thread goes.

Regardless of our already know problems with LM terrain, this is beautiful, and an interesting concept that I've been struggling with myself for some time. It'll be good to see where this thread goes.
I agree completely! I love seeing new terrain concepts. My only issue was keeping clear what's hard-coded vs. what's adaptable.

Brilliant!!!! I found the other space terrains to be kind of rediculous (Sorry to their creators) because the "land" just ends and people would presumably fall off the edge of the planet.

I think your concept is much more realistic and condusive to a space colonization style game. I'd LOVE to see a mod made for this, complete with space ships to replace all of the unit types in game. This really opens up a whole new realm of possibilities, I may give it a go myself if I find time.

Again, bloody brilliant work sepamu92!

Top Bottom