Difficulty Bonus Feedback for VP 3.8+

Are you content with the Difficulty Bonus?

• Total voters
Maybe Enginseer's tweaks can be proposed for the next congress ?
I'm still working on it. The current difficulty bonus model kinda rewards Authority and Progress AI a bit too much. No love for Tradition AI, thinking of ways.

I've been wondering for a few patches if the rise of domination strategies (on the AI side) is more to do with non-militaristic civs just not building enough defenses. It's true they just don't get as many free units, but if they also aren't prioritizing military until they're actively in a war, then they're basically just playing ultra greedy and being punished. Which on the one hand is perfectly reasonable, but on the other, would be nice if they were adaptive enough to realize "I'm surrounded by warmongers, I should probably play for a heavier defensive military style".
So it should be noted that there have been a few nerfs to Defense over the last several versions:
  • Defensive Buildings don't provide as much CS and HP as they used to.
  • Units now "shutdown" all tiles around them. This means that an invading army turns off a lot more of your economy than it used to.
Beyond that, tribute is obviously a big win for warmongers on this patch. I also think the war AI has continued to improve.

That coupled with the new tendency to just vacate cities, which isn't helping. But even so, more units would mean more tiles you're unblocking, so as painful as it might feel, even progress and tradition probably want more defenses when being harassed.

I'm still working on it. The current difficulty bonus model kinda rewards Authority and Progress AI a bit too much. No love for Tradition AI, thinking of ways.
I'm open to adding new triggers for bonuses, by the way. Conditionals (e.g., only award a yield or change the multiplier if Tradition is unlocked) are also possible.

I'm also open to changing the formula (adding a D value, for example).

Last edited:
I think the barbarian kill bonus is good to go. Early yields should generally be lower and later yields higher. And ideally there should be another trigger for tall play earlier on.

Top Bottom