1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty Levels - Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by NeverMind, Feb 7, 2006.

1. NeverMind

NeverMind Proud to be Russian

+ CIV
    + Warlords

Patches 1.74 and 2.13w - nothing changed
    BtS spreadsheet to be posted soon

Here is a full scale Excel spreadsheet of Civ4HandicapInfo.xml. This file defines differences among Civ4 Difficulty Levels. The only change in Warlords is iAnimalAttackProb. Vanilla values are in brackets.

All elements of the Civ4HandicapInfo.xml:

List of available Goodies (20 entries for each level):

And the Excel spreadsheet :

Attached Files:

2. Angus Khan

Angus Khan Chieftain

Nice, I hadn't seen these numbers before. It is interesting to see what parameters Firaxis chose to ramp up the game's difficulty. Good job making this clearer. :goodjob:

3. kulgan

kulgan New Noble

Apart from many of the others I note that "igold" is zero on all counts. Any idea what this is for?

4. 5cats

5cats Chieftain

I'd be guessing that's the starting gold amount, however, don't we start with 10 gold in lower levels??

5. NeverMind

NeverMind Proud to be Russian

I made new reference charts for difficulty levels. The charts now represent all elements of Civ4HandicapInfo.xml. Check images in the first post.

6. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

This is great but I need more help in explaining it haha :p

7. omnipotent_1

omnipotent_1 Chieftain

Can you explain the modifiers for AI a little more in depth? I'm trying to figure out the growth rate for AI at each difficulty level. I usually play Noble, and it seems like no matter what I do the AI always grows faster. The modifiers as shown in the spreadsheet don't make much sense. It seems like the numbers are opposite what they should be, but I'm probably not understanding the meaning of each percentage.

For example, the iAIconstruct percentage for Settler is 160% for AI? Can't be true.

8. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Chieftain

160% means 160% time, so it is true;) Lower means better here.
    Congratulations to everyone who can win a Deity game:)

9. omnipotent_1

omnipotent_1 Chieftain

Deity... right. I can barely scrap by in Noble. Now, according to the modifier, the AI growth rate is 100%, as you say, time. Does that mean it is equal to the human player rate?

10. Way_Traveler

Way_Traveler Chieftain

Interesting that you get 5 free wins against barbs in settler... I thought there were no barbs at that level!

11. DrakenKin

DrakenKin Chieftain

IUnitCostPercent is 50 on noble, while iAIUnitCostPercent is 100... does this mean that the human player get cheaper units than the AI at that difficulty?

A description of the various variables would be great. (The obscure stuff like IStartingLocPercent)

12. adiuvat

adiuvat Chieftain

necro. I'd like to find a modern version of this, or if it's changed. I *could* just look at the xml files.. yawn.

13. Ansive

Ansive Chieftain

Sorry for the bump but I seriously got tired of looking in the xml file every time I wanted to compare difficulties.

Here's the same table with values for BTS v3.1.9
    Orange rows contain modified (new) values.
    Taken from ..\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4HandicapInfo.xml

Spoiler :

Big thanks to NeverMind for his work.

Attached Files:

14. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

I find most of this very helpful. I can't understand some parts like the iStartingLocPercent, and I don't get why there's an i before every factor, but other than that, I find it very helpful.

15. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator

:confused: i can't see this value anywhere.

That just shows that this value is an integer value, a whole number (in contrast to float values = decimal values).

16. Crispy007

Crispy007 Chieftain

One question I have. How does a scout affect the percentages when popping a hut?

17. Ansive

Ansive Chieftain

The Barbarian Weak and Barbarian Strong choices are removed when using scouts (so on Emperor you're left with 14 goodies at 7.14%). Distribution stays the same.

18. Sir Spanky

Sir Spanky Chieftain

The i stands for player in the XML code while AI stands for, well you guessed it, the AI.

19. reljanovic

reljanovic Chieftain

This was great trying to figure out the differences, but I've been told Noble is the most "even" level where human and the AI are getting the same(or none) perks etc, but looking at the chart it doesn't look like it, care to explain why there is no "100% equal" level?

20. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator

I guess only Firaxis might be able to answer your question :/.