1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomacy is still broken?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mike3640, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Heart Break Kid

Heart Break Kid Warlord

What magic? Civilization isn't a simulator nor does it pretend to be. It's a huge board game with an historical theme. The AI should be trying to win since the human is trying to win.

What is this realism you guys are referencing?

2. kukatr

kukatr Chieftain

I think it was a nice move from a backstabber. I don't want to go deeply into this immersion discussion, but if a civ don't play dirty then it will be eaten by the warmongers. It is written in history.
    What I think is a complete nonsense is a backstabber penalty at who asked me to backstab my friend. Come on! I would only allow it to Montezuma or Boudicca, they are insane in my eyes. :)

3. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Op's bait title caught a ranter; there's no arguing with someone like that.

4. mrwho

mrwho Prince

The word 'broken' is so overused in gaming these days.

5. Clement

Clement Layman

I used the wrong word, instead of realism i should have said "immersion," in Civ 5 i am jolted out of immersion far more regularly than i was in previous titles due to the simplistic mechanisms/diplomacy and the very arbitrary rules which i feel were set up to accommodate multi-player, as for Dexters calling me a ranter, it's just a personal opinion, nothing more.

6. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Changed in BNW! You can totally declare war, liberate CS's and allied Civ cities and not take any warmonger hit at all. In fact, if you liberate enough cities, you can take some of the invading AI's cities (even his capital) and still not suffer warmonger hate with anyone.

7. dexters

The biggest change are the fixed penalties for taking cities have been removed. Civ Elim penalty is also gone for both major minor civs. Game now looks at map size, total cities and the civs cities.

You also get a reverse penalty for liberating cities so a good way to wipe away some of the warmonger penalty.

8. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I think one of the faults of the whole Civilization series is that the AI opponents can be somewhat predictable - that creates an unfair advantage for us. I agree that it to be a balance for the purpose of competitiveness and gameplay, but we should not expect to know how opponents of any game should play ("an opponent should always love me if I do X"). It wouldn't be a game, otherwise.

9. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Can you not think of any example of real history of this occurring?

10. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

I think civ4, while not having a perfect diplomacy, at least had personalities. There you got for example Isabel. She was a religion fanatic. If you adopted her religion, you had an ally almost granted. If you didn't, you had an enemy for life.
    That is immersion. You are playing with a civ that cares about religion, and not about reaching more "score" in one of the victory conditions.

But then again, it's different ways of playing, I'm not complaining, I'm saying, I prefer it the other way. I do not play to win the game. Yes, it's my final goal, but I may attack a civ that made me angry instead that one that is better for me winning the game. Or I may go for a victory condition that I feel I want to, instead of the one I see is easier for this game. For me civ is a game about managing an empire. Yes, while trying to become powerful and at the end win the game. But I don't play with winning the game in mind from the beginning.
    And I doubt civ lovers since civilization 1 are a majority of players who just want to win the game in the highest possible difficulty, like it was a competitive game. I bet there are lots of players who play and always played civ games, like a civilization simulator. Which doesn't mean we don't finally aim for winning the game.

11. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

I find Civ V's diplomacy more immersive, actually. They feel more human. Civ IV's AIs were more predictable and didn't feel realistic with their motivations.

One of these ways is that Civ V AI will contact you to mock you. This is a simulation of a very human thing - trolling. In fact, this was so effective that many players complained about it! They reacted to it as if the AI were human and were behaving badly! Of course, I took it purely as feedback of the AI condition, so I didn't feel offended, but it feels more human that the AI holds grudges and deceives and is petty.

12. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

They do feel more human. The problem is they feel like a human player, instead of leader. They are playing a game with you, not acting like leaders of a country, with their own personalities and non gamy goals.

13. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

I meant that they feel more human in general, not like an AI. They still feel like they're leaders. They feel like human leaders, with foibles and faults - even foibles and faults common to historical leaders. Civ IV's AI felt more like AI. At point did I feel like they were leaders of anything. They're empty.

It's not true that Civ V leaders do not display personality. They absolutely do. Some of them weight common religion longer and heavier, for instance, just like Isabella does in Civ IV. They're just not going to be so brazenly manipulated by it, which is more human.

14. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Hmm, dunno, I have rarely seen Rome backstab in my games. He can be "friendly" then attack, but usually if I don't have any negative rep with Rome, he stays friend till the end of the game (altho, Rome is very hard on declaring friendship)

Same goes for some other warmongering civs like America, Mongolia and China.

In my games, most of the backstab are done by The Aztecs, Japan, Iroquois, English (ALWAYS, declare friendship, next turn attacks), and I've noticed that Babylon become backstabbing friend. He ALWAYS declares friendship and attacks in the same turn. :lol:

oh yeah, and Alex and Harald seems to love being hostile the very next turn after we meet for some reason. I don't remember ONE game that Alex was anything but hostile to me. :lol: (and I never know why, I don't pick on CS, and he is usually far away from me to have boarders\land conflict)

15. Staal

Staal Warlord

"Simulator" gets thrown around a lot but it makes no sense. It is a non-sensical, flippant response. The guy isn't asking for a simulator. He just takes enjoyment from manipulating the RP AI. Maybe the needed artificial advantages to compensate for this doesn't bother him?

Personally I am torn between the two AI approaches but I am getting more and more hacked off at the pro-human approach posters. There is nothing wrong with a player preferring a more pro-RP approach. The one is not "morally superior" to the other which is almost how I sense you guys look at it.

Ultimately, the system has to have a mix. Otherwise there is no purpose behind diplomacy modifiers at all if an AI must play like a human.

16. The QC

The QC Quietly Confident

I agree with you, but the "superior" stance goes both ways. There is no need to call the diplomacy system broken, for instance, just because it isn't to your taste.

The discussion will sadly never get very interesting, because it is in fact a thinly disguised Civ V vs. Civ IV discussions and those are always the worst content produced on this forum.

I'm not sure I agree here. I think the mix is what makes everything confusing for everyone. They should just pick one approach and pursue it fully.

The diplomacy modifiers are a discussion in themselves. I think they are the reason why the human-like diplomacy never worked - they're just too simple. A human player thinks about more than love/hate. He thinks about how much he fears you, about how much he needs your help, how much he can trust you, how much he needs peace with you in certain moments... And so on. The modifiers system doesn't allow for that, which is why a weak neighbor will insult you and refuse trades and spam missionaries, even though what he really, really needs is to give you reasons not to crush him.

17. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

While I think there is some overlap between the two systems, there's not much without compromising the quality of either system. Let's say you would want the AI "leaders" to always act in a certain way (historically or something else). In other words, a very predictable and easily manipulative opponent. They can turn the game into that, taking it to an extreme, but where does that leave all the rest of us that want competitive opponents that you are competing against to win? They're not going to do that, of course, but that's an example of how the two system can be incompatible.

18. Tosslikeman

Tosslikeman Chieftain

Civ V's AI feel more human, but they're stupid "human",trying to do something they're not able to do. Why so many people think they have no personality? Because their personality are all "stupid". An experienced player can easily fool them and take advantage of them. Less predictable? I don't think so.

Civ IV's AI feel more AI, but they're not stupid rivals. They do all they can do very well, though they're a little bit stubborn in different ways. Because they're not that stupid, people will respect their different personality. Even though you know their personality, the game will not be very easy. And also, you can choose "Random Personality" option.

19. dexters

Right. We want the Civ AI to be flexible and understand game concepts and take advantage of their UA, which means modified preferences towards how they deal with city states, war, peace, development.

If people want historically 'accurate' leaders, they really need to either mod a scenario or play a game along the lines of EU that is essentially one big scenario.

Civ has been and always be a high level 4x game. And I'm fine with that.

They're more human insofar as the AI is capable of long-term strategic planning. Civ4/Civ3 AI admittedly (from the game's programmers) played turn to turn. It could make a decision to attack you and set a DoW in 10 turns to give that illusion its thinking ahead, but the grand strategic component is a turn to turn evaluation based on its current situation.

A lot of the humanness ; such as the so called 'psychopathic' diplomacy has been existed or severely moderated. To the point where I don't see this critique as valid anymore.

Admittedly, the civ5 AI is more capable of doing a lot of things and catching little human cheats that we used to get away with and or doing it themselves. The thread OP is a good example of duplicitous behavior by the AI.

But I think people have always wanted an AI that could at least pull that off and there's never been an outcry about that.

20. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Dexters, you are correct. I was going to add a sentence about scenarios and mods as the alternative for those wanting a more historical (which I love to do as well) game/simulation/toy, but I had to go. The regular game should go more the other way in tightening/increasing the competitiveness to win and getting all opponents to use their strengths much more effectively. It's almost irrelevant what those are (as long as they are varied) or what "names" they assigned to them.