• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Direct 2 drive fiasco

alancsilver

Warlord
ughhhhhhh

So, a couple of years ago, I bought "Civilization 4: The Complete Edition" from direct2drive. I already bought Civ4 and BTS when they came out. But my original disk was scratched, so I thought it would be a good idea to have this copy and no cd needed to run the game. And it worked wonderfully until this week......

I am sure most of you heard that Gamefly took over direct2drive and it seems that this has been a disaster. So, my account moved over to gamefly and it shows my purchase. But there is no game to download. So, right now I can't download and install it.

Luckily I do have it installed on 2 of my computers (one linux), and so I can still play it. But if I ever have to reinstall it on my windows computer I may be SOL.

Seems that many users of having issues with other games that have been switched over to gamefly.

Has anyone else bought the direct2drive version and now able to install it from its new gamefly home?

It's almost enough to get me a cracked copy of the game.

Grrrrrr :mad:

I'd say about 90% of my D2D library is not currently available on Gamefly. This fact is contrary to the info D2D provided when they announced Gamefly would take over. D2D stated that some games would not be available immediately but that the issue would only impact a very small number of games/users. Ofc, the exact opposite happened. Seems the only games that made it over were Ubisoft games. Bottom line is that the Gamefly PC catalog currently blows chunks. The fact the games like Civ aren't already available is pretty shocking.

I expect over time though that Gamefly will pick these games up. My purchase history on Gamefly appears to be correct which is good. They just need to get the games in the catalog. It was definitely a good idea to download any games you currently play or want to play wihen D2D made the announcement.

Overall, the issue has had no impact on me as I have the games I want downloaded. However, like you, I'd like to know they are available when needed.

There are many reasons why you should not buy games off the Internet, and this includes things like Steam. This is one of the major ones.

Totally agree. If I buy a game I want to own it, have the disk in my cupboard and be able to play it whenever I want - and not whenever a web server on the other side of the planet is in a good mood. If that's not possible, no deal. I know I'm a dying breed, but that's how it is. And if I read the comments about the mess Civ V still is, I don't even fell I am missing much... ; )

Sorry you can't access your game, but you can't go wrong with buying a hard copy. It will always work, unless you abuse it...
Also, I always put the game in its case if I'm not playing it. None of my PS3 games have ever touched the floor.

There are many reasons why you should not buy games off the Internet, and this includes things like Steam. This is one of the major ones.

Actually, I think this is a little short sighted. I'll explain why below:

1) Digital PC gaming is the future. I highly expect and predict that retail hard copies of PC games will cease to exist in the not so distant future.

2) While the initial transition of D2D to Gamespy is painful, it can also be seen in a more positive light. In my view, it is simply part of the evolutionary process of digital PC gaming. D2D was one of the original online sellers. Many who are wary of purchasing digital copies frequently indicate a fear that the company will go out of business and, thus, they will lose their games. I don't think this is something to fear. There will always be companies willing to buy up these catalogs and customer databases. New companies will come along and old companies will get bought out or merged. There are a ton of online sellers out there now, whether original independents like D2D/Gamepy and Gamersgate, or the newer wave of established game publishers selling there own games online like Eidos (although technically Steam is of the same ilk). I see tons of independent companies out there now. I don't expect many to these companies to exist in the future. However, it does not mean those customers will lose their games. The customer/catalog is the main asset of these companies and they are easy to sell - it's too valuable to just go away.

3) Basically I see PC gaming as becoming fully digital with the focus primarily on buying the license. Once you own the license, which are issued by Publishers, you will always be able to play the game. Heck, that's basically what happens when you buy Steam exclusive games like Civ V from other sites. I see gamers storing copies of their games on the many massive storage options we have now, including the PC itself, whether it be for safe keeping or just so they don't have to download it again. I do this now with some games. It's really not needed though other than convenience.

4) The Steam model is a bit unique to all this though. I own quite a few games on Steam and have never had a problem. It's the only company I'm aware of in which you have to have a client in order to run games purchased through Steam. I have no problem with the client itself, but the whole proprietary way Steam handles both DRM and the whole process really seems to pose a problem if they go belly up. I think Steam will be around for a very long time though regardless. It's very popular, appears to be a successful business, and is owned by a very successful game publisher (Valve). It does seem odd though that all the many other companies are going in another direction.

5) Bottom line: D2D transition to Gamespy is bumpy, but it is the first of it's kind in this business that I'm aware of. The main issue is the D2D catalog is not fully available on Gamespy. Gamespy will get these games though, including Civ, in the very near future. The good news, or positive way to look at it, is that for whatever reason that IGN/D2D decided to get out of the digital PC gaming business, there was a new home waiting for their customers. I expect that to always be the case in this business.

May I assume the problem is "only" of temporary nature? Are there any other people around who have the same (means with Civ) problem?

Yes, Gamefly is in the process of getting the missing games. I fully expect a game like Civ to be added to the catalog soon. Currently, I cannot download the game, although I don't need to.

Actually, I think this is a little short sighted. I'll explain why below:

1) Digital PC gaming is the future. I highly expect and predict that retail hard copies of PC games will cease to exist in the not so distant future.

You're free to consider this short sighted - but the problems are there. To be honest I can't remember PC gaming ever beeing analogue. It always was digital. And please don't let yourself be fooled into thinking disk versus download is a matter of convenient distribution. This is just a matter of forcing buyers into ridiculous copy protection scemes. They sell you Civ V on disk and go all the effort of disk distribution, although the disk itself is totally pointless because you still have to download the whole game to install. So the disk distribution can't be the big problem here...

2) ... Many who are wary of purchasing digital copies frequently indicate a fear that the company will go out of business and, thus, they will lose their games. I don't think this is something to fear. ...

Keeping up servers and content for a long time costs money. Especially paying licences for movie or music or whatever other trade mark or franchise content costs money. And you can be sure they only pay it as long as they make money and not for charity. They sure won't keep up servers and provide content and pay franchise licences for just a handfull of geeks wanting to play a ten or fifteen year old game that has lost mass market interest. If I have the disk I decide when to play. If I don't have the disk others will decide - and you can be sure there will be cases where games disappear. Maybe not all and maybe not always, but it will happen. It's inevitable.

3) Basically I see PC gaming as becoming fully digital with the focus primarily on buying the license. Once you own the license, ...

And here's the big error in reasoning. With licences you don't own anything anymore. You're just granted the right to use something - which can be revoked anytime for reasons beyond your controll. I really don't mind to buy something so I own it. But to pay the same price for something that I don't really own and where I am constantly at someone elses mercy for beeing allowed to use it, is to high a price for me. I know it migth happen if enough people are careless enough to go into the trap. It might also kill the PC as a gaming platform. We'll see...

Yes, Gamefly is in the process of getting the missing games. I fully expect a game like Civ to be added to the catalog soon. Currently, I cannot download the game, although I don't need to.

Good to know :).
(else we'd have to think how to deal with that, but since it's only temporary...)

I guess I am cautiously optimistic that Civ will be back. It has been a week or so since the cutover.

D2D's message before the move was worded interestingly
"We're currently moving as many game titles as possible from Direct2Drive to GameFly. We will continue to work hard to bring ALL Direct2Drive titles to GameFly, if possible. Some older titles may take a bit longer or may not be migrated if their specs are no longer supported by today's technology. The number of these unsupported titles will be minimal, and will not impact the majority of our customers. We'll send you a separate e-mail if any of the titles you've purchased are not supported on GameFly."

Hopefully I don't get that email

Steam is the present and the future, their profits have increased 100% year over year so they have the money and the distribution power to provide all the games you could ever want.

To those stuck on the old model of gaming, you would be rightly worried about the future of pc gaming. Best Buy and Gamestop maintain woefully small sections for boxed games, and even those games come with protection methods like Steam. It makes owning the disk inconsequential when you can download the game wherever you want, and with constant updating afforded by Steam you would have to download content anyway.

I suspect those that are reluctant to adopt Steam won't miss out because they don't intend to keep up with all the modern games. If you are content with the classics that you have on disk and are happy to revisit old favorites immune to changing times, good for you! But don't begrudge the rest of us for adapting to the times.

Steam is the present and the future, their profits have increased 100% year over year so they have the money and the distribution power to provide all the games you could ever want.

I really don't want to stress this issue too much, because actually I really don't care that much. Do you remember companies like Commodore, Atari or AOL? Insanely succesful, incredible growth. Can you tell me where they are now???

I suspect those that are reluctant to adopt Steam won't miss out because they don't intend to keep up with all the modern games.

Well, you might have overlooked there is gagetery like XBOX 360 or Playstation 3 with the Next Next Gen variants just around the corner. No insane copy protection scemes there, no enforced online activation and stuff like that. I get a disk and that's all I need to play. Plus all advantages of the online community. If I had the choice of earning my living either with Steam or with XBOX Live - simple choice. XBOX Live any day...

I think you have to consider the downsides of owning a disk too. For one thing, disks don't last forever even if you keep them under ideal conditions. And then you have the risk of losing the disk altogether. Frankly, I've never had a problem with Steam ever since I joined many years ago. I very much look forward to the day when the broadband connections are fast enough and we never have to deal with physical media like disks.

It was also mentioned that owning the disk makes it feel like you actually "own" the software. I am not 100% sure on this, but am fairly certain that with almost ALL software, you never actually "own" it, but are just buying the license that allows you to use it legally. So in that sense, the medium that the software itself is delivered to you doesn't actually matter. You are still bound by the terms of agreement (the stuff you have to accept before installing the game), which probably says something to the extent of what I just mentioned.

Well, you might have overlooked there is gagetery like XBOX 360 or Playstation 3 with the Next Next Gen variants just around the corner. No insane copy protection scemes there, no enforced online activation and stuff like that. I get a disk and that's all I need to play. Plus all advantages of the online community. If I had the choice of earning my living either with Steam or with XBOX Live - simple choice. XBOX Live any day...

:confused:
I am perplexed why you would mention online activation as a disadvantage and then turn round and say you play Xbox LIVE. As in live on the internet.

You must not understand what Steam is. Try it out! If you are used to the trappings of LIVE I think you'll find Steam quite familiar.

If you buy content, that content should be yours forever. Period.

Incidentally, if anyone knows where I can buy Civ4 Complete for Mac OS X, please let me know. I'm still playing Vanilla and I'm not buying it from Steam.

I think you have to consider the downsides of owning a disk too. For one thing, disks don't last forever even if you keep them under ideal conditions. And then you have the risk of losing the disk altogether.

If you are in physical posession of the disk, there are ways to make them last. I never lost one yet and I make sure I won't loose the ones I really care about.

Frankly, I've never had a problem with Steam ever since I joined many years ago.

The mere existence of this thread proves there ARE problems. :rolleyes:

It was also mentioned that owning the disk makes it feel like you actually "own" the software. I am not 100% sure on this, but am fairly certain that with almost ALL software, you never actually "own" it, but are just buying the license that allows you to use it legally.

I don't really care too much about legal nonsense. My point in that context was that when I am in physical posession of the disk then I am in controll. If I am not in physical posession of the disk, some other entity is in controll. And noone knows what this entity will do in five or ten or whatever years, or whether this entity is still alive and kicking then. Right now I can play fantastic games like original Civilization and Railroad Tycoon, Red Baron, Monkey Island and Indiana Jones III, Patrician III, Grand Prix Legends or Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (the original one from 1998 or so) whenever I want (if I remember correctly none of these titles with exception of Patrician III even had a disk copy protection!). Or I could go back to 30 year old Sinclair ZX Spectrum games (which I have all neatly archived on a single CD-R). If I wanted and they were interesed (and if I had any that is ;) ) - I could hand over the whole stuff to my grandchildren like I could do with a book. And - I seem to have to emphasize this - all of that is absolutely and perfectly legal!!! You sure can't do this with stuff on Steam and this is quite a HUGHE difference. I don't even want to start the discussion whether computer games are pieces of art or not and whether they only have commercial value to the distributor or whether there are games that have a cutural value and should be preserved for future generations (rumours say the source code to Civ 3 is allready lost!) because this might go too far for many and might also become a bit too philosophical. Anyway - you might not care, but there are people who do...

:confused:
I am perplexed why you would mention online activation as a disadvantage and then turn round and say you play Xbox LIVE. As in live on the internet.

I never said I play XBOX Live. I only said XBOX Live probably makes more money than Steam does.

You must not understand what Steam is. Try it out! If you are used to the trappings of LIVE I think you'll find Steam quite familiar.

I sure as hell wont do that for many of the reasons given above. You have a point with XBOX Live also stretching my goodwill and my limits as how far I want to go with giving controll over my rightfully purchased software to others. Btw. the max I ever spent on Live were 800 points for the DLC cases of L.A. Noire. They were so cheap I could not resist. Nevertheless with games bought for the XBOX I am still much more in controll than I am with Steam.

If you buy content, that content should be yours forever. Period.

Incidentally, if anyone knows where I can buy Civ4 Complete for Mac OS X, please let me know. I'm still playing Vanilla and I'm not buying it from Steam.

try Gamersgate.com

actually here is a direct link to the page

Gamersgate

It's quite expensive though, as most Mac versions of stuff appear to be. Gamersgate has frequent sales though, so I would keep on eye it. Probably at least 50% off. I think D2D had MAC versions as well, but that's all lost for the moment during the transition.

Thanks. I prefer the idea of having the physical disc but a download could be acceptable. Do you happen to know whether Gamersgate saves games in certain directories according to their own methods the way Steam does or does it simply give you the files which can be installed a la the disc? The information on the site is inconclusive. And you're right, 60 USD is steep, and that's 33% off apparently! I'll watch the price and if I see one more reasonable I might go for it.

If you are in physical posession of the disk, there are ways to make them last. I never lost one yet and I make sure I won't loose the ones I really care about.

The mere existence of this thread proves there ARE problems. :rolleyes:

Actually you might want to re-read the OP. The reason why he even went with Direct 2 Drive was that the original disks were scratched...

And yes, there are sometimes problems with online distribution, but usually they're temporary (like in this case probably will be as well). With a scratched or lost disk, you're completely out of luck and forced to buy another copy.

Let's just say that both distribution methods have their own problems and leave it at that. I would still strongly prefer the online model personally. To each their own.

Top Bottom