Disable event log messages

hendriksen

Chieftain
Hello,

While playing a game my event log eventually gets flooded with messages like: "great person" has been born in a far away land. Is it possible to disable messages like this? I use the event log to see if important things happen. I am not interested in this one.

In the BUG mod screen at the CIV4lerts tab I am able to disable and enable some messages, but not this particular one.

Great MOD by the way. Been playing CIV 4 on and off for quite a few years. The Rhye's and Fall concept is the only thing that kept me playing CIV 4 after 2008. Discovered this modmod like a year ago and was hooked all over again. I remember my first game as the Ottomans as I was landlocked between hostile civilizations with other religions and thought: wow thats realistic!

Hey, great you are enjoying the mod.

That's a fair point. In fact I am not sure if BUG itself allows control over this but if it did I probably broke it because things changed due to civ specific great people names.

But it should not be too complicated to add a setting for this particular notification. Would you want fine grained control over which kind of GP births to be notified about? The game sends different messages for your own great people, those born in a known city, and those born in undiscovered territory.

I like the message of my own great people, so a fine grained control would be preferable. Thanks for the help and fast response.

I am not entirely sure but I think I saw more messages that I couldn't disable. When I have the time this week I can sum them up and report back here. Maybe you could implement settings for those notifications to?

Sure, I guess that makes sense. If you have more messages that you don't find important, please let me know. I don't necessarily want to add settings for every single one of them, but it depends. If I consider it non essential, I'll try to make it more configurable.

While the topic of event log messages is up, would it be possible to add an option to re-enable notifications for when other civilizations change civics? It's not only great for keeping tabs on the civilizations around me, but it also helps the immersion into my games.

For every civilisation in the game?

Alright, I'll keep it in consideration.

Hello Leoreth, in my game I saw the following type of events which are not interesting to me:

- Great Engineer has been born in London (England)
- Great General has been born in Olximche (native)
- Catholicism has spread in Helsingfors. ( I am playing as Italy, so Helsingfors is a foreign city)
- The learned English people enjoy a virtually universal literacy rate.
- A joyous marriage in the islamic tradition ...... between Turkish and Iranian people..... ( I am playing as Italy, so not interested in this type of events between other civs. However I am interested if it is my civ)
- Eugen von Savoyen has died in combat! (was not my great general)

This sounds like:
- great people births/deaths not of your civilisation
- religion spread outside of your civilisation
- event effects that do not affect your civilisation

Do you think a setting like:
- great people: all / known / nearby / only ours
- religion: all / known / nearby / only ours
- event effects: all / known / nearby / only ours

would work? I am not sure what a good definition of nearby is, but maybe shared borders would be sufficient. "Known" would be the same as "all" except events about things happening "in a foreign land" would be suppressed.

I mean, sounds like your preference would be "only ours", but I would like to hear the opinion of other people who are interested in limiting their amount of notifications as well.

Do you think a setting like:
- great people: all / known / nearby / only ours
- religion: all / known / nearby / only ours
- event effects: all / known / nearby / only ours

would work? I am not sure what a good definition of nearby is, but maybe shared borders would be sufficient. "Known" would be the same as "all" except events about things happening "in a foreign land" would be suppressed.

That would work very well for me, thank you. Like to hear other people's opinions as well.

Alright, this is in now:
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0225.JPG

Like I mentioned above, you can configure the following types of notification messages:
  • Great People: affects births and deaths (generals)
  • Religion Spread: affects religion spread and disappearance
  • Event Effects: affects the outcomes of events for which messages are usually displayed in the log
There are four levels of increasing limitation/filtering:
  • All (default): like before, no filtering
  • Known: only when notifications apply to civilisations you already have contact with. You may still see "in a faraway land" when you have contacted the civilisation but have not yet discovered the affected city
  • Nearby: only when notifications apply to civilisations you share borders with. The definition of shared borders is at least one tile of overlapping city radiuses (this is the same definition used for "close borders" diplo penalties, and other places in the logic). You necessarily already have contact with those civilisations, so this is a subset of "Known"
  • Ours: only when notifications apply to your current civilisation.
Note that even by default, there is further filtering for notification messages. For example, you are only notified about religion spread in your own cities, the spread of your state religion, or the spread of a religion you control the shrine of. The new filters are applied after those filters, and they remain unaffected. So even if you are on "Religion Spread: All" you won't see messages about every religion spreading to every city on the map.

The system I have used to implement this is easily extensible, so my question above still stands. If anyone has further types of messages they would like this kind of control over, please let me know.

You can currently try this in the develop branch on git, but I plan to do another minor version release (including patch) soon as well. I am just waiting a few days in case there are bugs in recent changes.

I'm playing the C2C mod and I want to be able to only view messages when a city has produced something, but its build queue is empty (e.g. I don't want to see messages like "%S just built a %S. Next in queue is %S", only "%S just build a %S"), battle outcomes and event logs (e.g. something that happens after an event completes, or when a resource is discovered on an improvement). Is this something that's possible to implement?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, I figured that the event log isn't part of C2C, it's a part of BUG, hence I'm asking here.

Sure. Implementing this is pretty trivial, you just have to add an option and check it at the right point in the code where the event message is triggered. Unfortunately there is no central place where event messages are relayed (or rather, I presume it happens in the exe) so you cannot easily tinker with the messages. You have to find where they are sent from.

Top Bottom