Discussion: Pedias, Great People, Tech Quotes, etc.

Exactly what I was going to look into next. After crawling through the Wikipedia article on Fictional Presidents, I found a nice list of potential candidates...

Robert Baker (The Peacekeeper) ~ Film set in 1997; nuclear strike foiled under his watch. No problems integrating.
Clint Bushton (RollerCoaster Tycoon 3) ~ Obviously, Bill Clinton + George Bush. Can't imagine a real problem using him.
James Dale (Mars Attacks!) ~ Running for re-election in the late 90s; is killed by Martians during an invasion. Not sure if we'd want to integrate that.
Robert Fielding (Command & Conquer) ~ Since we already have the war, we could probably use the President. Of course, we'd have to fudge the timeline and move the Tiberium War up a year or two.
Jack Neil (Murder at 1600) ~ Was President in 1997. Again, no problem using him.
George Richmond (My Date with the President's Daughter) ~ Serving in 1998. No real problems using him; you can never have enough crappy TV Disney movies, right?

I think any of those would work.

Well, the only politician we haven't used that is from the USA that I know of is Mayor Quimby, but I doubt he'd become President.

Speaking of Simpsons, since we are using Buzz Cola as an analogue to Coca-Cola, perhaps Duff can replace Budwieser.

Should I write The Master pedia entry? And if so, what, other that Buffyverse, should I use in his pedia entry?

Ooh, what about John Blutarsky? In a follow-up to Animal House it was stated that Bluto eventually became president.

I think we can get away with it, especially since we already have a comedy president serving a very short term in office (LePetomane from Blazing Saddles)

I was actually going to put him, but had my dates mixed up - thinking Animal House was SET in '78, and thus, having less than twenty years to rise up the ranks. Didn't quite mesh. But, being set in '62... yeah, I could see an Bluto, in his early 60s, as President. Can't imagine he'd win a second term, though, which fits.

Sounds good to me; I'll edit in a brief mention.

EDIT: Ah, and we could tie that in to the whole "Clinton Sex Scandal," too, couldn't we? Broke right at the start of '98, so, it would be moved up a few months, but, still. I think it'd work; I'll add that in, too.

I think we could replace the Clinton Sex Scandal with the plot of the movie Wag the Dog. Basically it revolves around a team lead by a Hollywood film producer who is hired by the US president to distract the people from a sex scandal by constructing a fake war in Albania. I can highly recommend the movie, by the way.

Regarding fictional presidents, I could think of Lex Luthor, Greg Stillson, President Winthrop (possible first name would be Robert, after his creator), Caroline Reynolds, somebody from Commander in Chief and some of the Alternate Presidents. Many of those, such as Reynolds, will be rather hard to fit into the timeline, however.

It's a bit late, but better late then never: Congratulations, wonderful Houyhnhm and Jack Ryan pedia! A minor suggestion for Ryan: how about instead of letting Russia join NATO it starts a political alliance with the US and it signs a mutual friendship agreement called the CoDominium Treaty.

Oh, I forgot to mention something about the Houyhnhm pedia.

In League of Extraordinary Gentlemen the Houyhnhms also got a mention. In that, Alan Moore had them be intelligent descendants of the Mares of Diomedes, the horses Heracles had to tame as part of his Twelve Labors. I always liked that little connection. Is there any way to work that in?

I think we could replace the Clinton Sex Scandal with the plot of the movie Wag the Dog. Basically it revolves around a team lead by a Hollywood film producer who is hired by the US president to distract the people from a sex scandal by constructing a fake war in Albania. I can highly recommend the movie, by the way.

Regarding fictional presidents, I could think of Lex Luthor, Greg Stillson, President Winthrop (possible first name would be Robert, after his creator), Caroline Reynolds, somebody from Commander in Chief and some of the Alternate Presidents. Many of those, such as Reynolds, will be rather hard to fit into the timeline, however.

It's a bit late, but better late then never: Congratulations, wonderful Houyhnhm and Jack Ryan pedia! A minor suggestion for Ryan: how about instead of letting Russia join NATO it starts a political alliance with the US and it signs a mutual friendship agreement called the CoDominium Treaty.

Added in Wag the Dog. Had to change it a bit (in the movie, the President wins re-election; obviously, in our timeline, he doesn't). However, I don't think CoDominium would work, since it uses the USSR instead of Russia as a whole - and I don't think we're going to have the Soviets lasting into the next century.

As for other Presidents, having Robert Winthrop replace Woodrow Wilson seems like a fine choice to me. The others (outside of Alternate Presidents, which we could still use) all break into our modern timeline too much, though.

Added in Wag the Dog. Had to change it a bit (in the movie, the President wins re-election; obviously, in our timeline, he doesn't). However, I don't think CoDominium would work, since it uses the USSR instead of Russia as a whole - and I don't think we're going to have the Soviets lasting into the next century.

However, considering my recent modern Russia update we can see that Russian communism is far from dead. The ultra-nationalist Ushi Party overthrows the Russian government at more than one occasion and they are eventually elected in 2034 as part of the Shadowrun timeline, thus returning Russia to a USSR-like stace - this time called New Russia. Furthermore, in the Fallout timeline the USSR survives until the nuclear war of 2077 - in our continuity this means that New Russia survives until then. And even after WWIII there are the communist mega-cities of East-Meg One and Two and the novel Metro 2033 mentions radical communists that raid the post-war metro tunnels. SO, yes, I suppose the USSR always survives in one form or another.
By the way, actually I didn't suppose that in our continuity CoDominium would ever be a world government, but only a friendship treaty between the US and Russia similar to Russia's inclusion to NATO in the Tom Clancy novels.

Fair enough - CoDominium is added, albeit briefly. If anything, it should be included in the America and Russia Pedias, if it's not in there already.

EDIT: Threw together an Apache Chief Pedia. I mean, why not?

Spoiler :
APACHE CHIEF

Apache Chief – his real name is unknown, instead choosing to take his title – was born to an unknown tribe of Apache somewhere in the American Southwest. As a young child, he was given a pouch of magic powder by his tribe's medicine man, which gave him the ability to grow to any height he wished by using the magic phrase "Inyuk-Chuk." This ability is rooted back thousands of years, to 1000 BC at the very least, and the original tribes pre-dating the Apache. Manitou Raven, who would become a superhero himself, is among the oldest figures to know these magic words.

With this power, Apache Chief became an amateur crimefighter and hero, protecting his tribe from danger, though it is uncertain if he ever became their literal chief. It was not until 1977 that he first became a national icon; aiding Wonder Woman in a fight against a giant cobra. The next year, Apache Chief was accepted as a member of the Super Friends, or as it is more commonly known, the Justice League of America. Not only did this bolster his own reputation, but helped improve Native American relations and nationalism.

Despite his growing fame, Apache Chief found himself retired from the Super Friends by 1985. Though the exact reasons for this are uncertain, it was in the nick of time; only a year later was the Crisis on Infinite Earths, resulting in the deaths of a vast majority of world superheroes. Having retired from his role, Apache Chief was spared; however, he was not entirely finished with superheroics.

While he remained underground for many years, in the 21st Century, Apache Chief continued random acts of kindness as before; specific examples vary widely, from minor acts like helping put up a satellite dish to more major ones like stopping a meteor. However, in 2001 Apache Chief – down on his luck, working odd jobs of dubious ethics to get by and suffering from a gambling addiction – spilled a cup of coffee on his lap, losing his ability to grow. Harvey Birdman took his case, and though he lost in the end, the process allowed Apache Chief to meet Sybil Shussler, his primary romantic interest, and inspired him to found the Multi-Culture Pals, a group of minority heroes (and the Reverend Jesse Jackson).

As a hero, Apache Chief is considered relatively minor. However, as an icon, he is larger than life – as one of the first Native American superheroes, he became an inspiration for many of his people to seek success outside of their tribes. His strong moral caliber and love of good in its purest form make him one of the better examples for modern heroes, both literally and figuratively. When the US Government created the "Ultimen," a group of biologically engineered heroes, one – Long Shadow – was directly inspired by Apache Chief. Despite his only brief time as a hero, Apache Chief is remembered for his quality as a man, and continues to inspire others to this day.

Sources:
Spoiler :
* The All-New Super Friends Hour – Apache Chief
* "The History of Doom" – Origin of Apache Chief
* DC Comics – Manitou Raven, Justice League of America, Crisis of Infinite Earths
* "The Antidote" – First Appearance of Apache Chief
* The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians – Super Friends Without Apache Chief
* PTV (Family Guy Episode) – Apache Chief Minor Help, Gambling Addiction
* Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law – Stopping Meteors, Harvey Birdman, Coffee Lawsuit, Multi-Culture Pals
* Justice League Unlimited – Ultimen
Pretty straightforward I think.

Sorry to double post, but, here's a quick entry on the Doombot. Why? Why not?

Spoiler :
DOOMBOT

The Doombots, artificial constructs designed to resemble Victor von Doom, are the central defensive and offensive forces of Latveria's army. First designed before the Second World War, the basic Doombots were created from scrap steel leftover from World War I and given highly advanced Artificial Intelligence. This AI was created by Doom himself - a major step forward in robotics, albeit, not without flaws. These early Doombots overthrew King Vladimir Vassily Gonereo Tristian Mangegi Fortunov of Latveria, aiding in Doom's rise to power.

However, this AI has a peculiar function. Unless in the presence of another Doombot, or of Doom himself, it will believe itself to be the real Victor von Doom, and act as if this is the case. The Doombots, refined over time, have the exact personality, strengths, and capabilities of Doom himself; however, Doom installed a damper program to slightly weaken these aspects, to remain in complete control of his creations.

There are two classes of Doombot - Combat Doombots, and Diplomatic Doombots. Combat Doombots are enhanced with superior strength and durability, beyond that of Doom himself, and are often outfitted with additional weaponry. On the other hand, Diplomatic Doombots, used for international meetings of various kinds, are gifted with enhanced intelligence and problem-solving skills.

While not the only robots of Doom's design, they are most certainly his favorite; initially used only as duplicates to fool Latveria's enemies, Doom, over time, began to install them as basic security and military troops. They have become more and more like him, in demeanor and in strength, over time - to the extent that, according to some, a Doombot acted as leader of Latveria for over 20 years under the guise of its creator. A pioneer achievement in military technology and robotics, the Doombots are among Victor von Doom's finest achievements.

Sources:
Spoiler :
* Marvel Comics (Doombot) – Doombots, Dr. Doom, Latveria
Real real simple. Doubt there's anything to add or remove.

Next up, back to heavy hitting. I think I'll do a bit of an overhaul to Celtia - expand a lot, touch up the grammar, all that. I've been reading about Irish Mythology and, well, the six ages of Ireland are just too perfect to pass up. After that I think I'll do King Lear, to put a capper on Celtia on the whole and because, well, why not?

EDIT: Oh, and also, I heard about this series - First Squad - about a team of Russia super-teens that are conscripted to fight the Nazis in WWII. Y'know, in case any of you want to use that or something.

And, also, I've been thinking of writing a fictional biography of Billy Joel in the same style as our usual Fictionalization things. One of those "just for fun" little things, y'know? I doubt there'll be anything to integrate or anything.

Is there still creative work being done on this mod? I'd be interested in helping if so. For example, I thought of a few Great Engineers:

Vannevar Morgan – from “The Fountains of Paradise” by Arthur Clarke – brilliant engineer who, after designing the Gibraltar Bridge, spearheads construction of Earth’s first space elevator on the site of a monastery in Taprobane (fictionalization of Sri Lanka)

Sivasubramanian Chandrasegarampillai – from “2010: Odyssey Two” by Arthur Clarke – designer of the HAL 9000 series of computers

Walter Curnow - from “2010: Odyssey Two” by Arthur Clarke – engineer who designed the Discovery class of spaceships

Eldon Tyrell – from “Blade Runner” – inventor of Replicants

> Maybe Vannevar Morgan could be related to Nwabudike Morgan?

Ha, Clarke's books were always so colorblind there's nothing to say they weren't brothers.

Something else I just thought of. I haven't had a thorough look at this mod so I'm not sure what you've done with the Alpha Centauri vessel. You might want to name it UNSS Icarus ( http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/UNSS_Icarus ), a Star Trek reference. Prior to the second Next Gen movie, non-canon sources cited it as being used for Earth's first contact with alien life.

Came up with a possible tech quote; just beat Okami, and, well, it seems to work. Priesthood, perhaps?

"We shouldn't pray only when we want something. We should consider how the gods must feel once in a while. We should even take on some of their burden." ~ Issun (or Issun the Wanderer, Issun the Artist, Issun the Missionary... he's a title guy; any would work)

I'm actually thinking of adding some bits of Okami to the Japan Pedia. So much stuff in there, mixing bits of Japanese folklore and mythology and all sorts of stuff. And it's about the goddess Amaterasu returning from heaven to rid Japan of darkness... which seems like it'd be pretty important.

Also, preparing to dig into Celtia. Been busy for the past month or so (finals and such; school stuff), but it's summer break, so, a lot more free time.

I see the Fearless leader has no pedia yet.
well i making one. its still in progress so i need to know some things.

1. when was he born (ie. like Stalin 1878?) and when did he die ( i know he replaces stalin in this word but the show he came from "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show" lasted from 1959-1964 way after Stalin's death in 1953)

2. Pottsylavina. i was thinking it could replace Georgia (Stalin's birth home) but according to this map

it appears to be the Baltic nations.

so if you could answer these i might finish up the bio.

It's always wonderful to see a devoted, new writer! Welcome, Brushwaterkhan!

You're right, Pottyslvania does look very much like Estonia. I think in this case fiction triumphs over history: the Baltics it is!

The dates of Fearless Leader's death are a bit tricky - if we expand his lifespan and thus his rule to 1964 that would mean that he "absorbes" the entire rule of Nikita Khrushchev. That would mean that the liberalization and de-Stalinization wont occur until after '64. Plus, that would add many important events to Stalin's rule, such as the launch of Sputnik 1 (1957), the Cuba Crisis (1962), the beginning of the Vietnam War (1960s), a lot of James Bond novels (such as From Russia with Love and You Only Live Twice)and the Strangelove Incident (1964) - perhaps the last one is in some way connected with Fearless Leader's death?

As for Fearless Leader himself, I'm afraid I can't suggest many sources to work in. Stalin's cult around himself would be a good start and he has often been the subject of conspiracy theories - some of that stuff but probably fit in, as well. The Chimera invasion from Resistance: Fall of Man is probably going to be rather important in the first decades of Fearless Leader's rule.
Anyway, good luck with the pedia!

As for me: even though I came down with a severe case of 'summer laziness' for, well, the last month(s) I'm already recouvering and will hopefully return soon to the glamorous stage of pedia writing.

I tried to look up some conspiracies about Stalin and only i could find is about the Ape man project as and i thought the Strangelove Incident and the cuban crisis was the same?

I tried to look up some conspiracies about Stalin and only i could find is about the Ape man project as and i thought the Strangelove Incident and the cuban crisis was the same?

Yeah, pretty sure we have Strangelove as the Cuban Missile Crisis. On that same token, should we replace JFK with Merkin Muffley, or, y'know, are we fine as is? Kennedy's got a lot of fiction about him, so... could go either way.

BUT! Looks like we've got a touch of work on this again. Very nice. I've tried to dig in a few times, but with things so dead around here, it was a bit hard to get inspired, y'know? I'll probably do a small one or two before diving into Celtia.

Top Bottom