Discussion: Where do we want to go with canals?

A city should be allowed to build ships and coastal buildings if and only if the city can be reached by rival ships from the ocean (i.e. not blocked by other cities in the path)
What's the point of this? You're not going to conquer a city using a ship in a canal.

Reminder that you can sometimes find good locations that only allow 1 or 2 enemy ships attacking at the same time naturally, so I don't think it's a big deal if you can artificially make one yourself IF you managed to find a lake next to the coast (which sparked the opposition "it's too much of an advantage"). Gameplay > balance.

What's the point of this? You're not going to conquer a city using a ship in a canal.
It's one extra unit sieging the city. Any amount helps.

I'd rather revert to lake cities (but only on lake shores, not land cities) being able to build sea buildings if they are connected to the sea. Naval powers based on lagunae that are super easy to defend from open sea is nothing unheard of. I hate having to forsake this approach as Venice when I get a lake start, just because I need the sea route increased reach. Besides, foreign naval routes should be able to reach connected lake cities, not sure if they can now. If really there is a balance issue to have a safe haven for a fleet, why not just give combat or movement penalties to ships while on lakes so they can be picked off by attacking ranged land units (unless canals can be made permanent and allow for enemy ships passage when occupied).

Side point, a fort/canal or city that is crossed by a sea route should provide some gold.

Top Bottom