Dissent

P.S. I do not play with vassal states; to each his own.
In any case, isn't the case that creating a bunch of vassal states is inconsistent with trying for a domination victory?
(It would be consistent with other types of victories.)

Just noticed this comment. I've purposely balanced dissent with the expectation that players will need to have some colonies/vassals in order to achieve Domination victory. Otherwise, what is the point of having such mechanic if the best strategy is to ignore it? 50% of the land and population of a vassal counts towards its master's progress, but a vassal's dissent has no effect on its master. Nor are vassal cities counted when the master's civic dissent is calculated.

I do not play with vassal states. To each his own.

I played with vassal states (and colonies) when it was first introduced.
(I do not remember whether this was in vanilla Civ IV or whether it was introduced in one of the expansions.)
I did not enjoy it for at least two reasons.

I usually play with about 10 AI civilizations. I found that by the middle of the game I had to deal with 20 or more AI entities. It was just too much work to try to keep track of all of them.

Also, when I found or capture a city and build it up, I do not find it fun to turn it over to the computer to run.

Many players choose to play without certain options.
As I said to each is own.

As this relates to domination victory, you get 50% credit for what your vassal owns.

On large maps, on which I am now playing, for a domination victory one needs 58% of land area and 39% of population.
(I believe the figures vary by map size.)
Lets concentrate on land area.

If you own 35% of the land area, and your vassals own 46% of the land area, then you have just enough land area.
This is a total of 81% the land area!
This is just short of elimination victory; probably just boring hours of play.

At 35% of the land area your dissent would be enormous!

So even with vassal states, domination victory is made much, much harder by dissent.
Most of the other victory conditions, other than elimination, do not seem to be directly affected.

Top Bottom