Do natural wonders count as mountains?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by OmniPotent42, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Koiranputki

Koiranputki Prince

Interesting....I notice you have another mountain nearby...I wonder if it was actually the trigger rather than Mt. Fuji....???? I don't know, but I have this feeling that if it were Mt. Fuji by itself it might not allow Machu Picchu...???

I've noticed that Machu Picchu doesn't always appear on the mountain you think it should be on...sometimes it will even be on a mountain you don't yet own but is nearby. And if you do have a nearby mountain that you don't yet own, you can't built Machu PIcchu...more than once I've had the MP tech, but then had to buy the mountain tile before I could build the wonder....

2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

In my experience from a recent game, where I had a city next to Mt Sinai, you can build an Observatory, but you can't build a mountainous wonder if the Natural Wonder is the only mountain by your city. However, if you do have a normal mountain as well, the graphic of Machu Picchu or Neuchwanstein can deface the holy mountain. It's quite misleading.

3. PibbZ

PibbZ Paladin

That... is... beautiful! :c5happy:

4. Cicero63

Cicero63 Warlord

Macchu Picchu has been built on Old Faithful on several occasions for me.

5. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

I had Machu Picchu appear on top of Old Faithful after it was built

6. swiharta

swiharta Chieftain

I have a game now where my only city with a single "mountain" tile had Mt. Fuji right next to it. I built an Observatory, but I was unable to build Neuschwanstein. That sucked. This is clearly a bug.

7. Mylor

Mylor Chieftain

On more than one occasion, I had captured a city that contained Machu Picchu and had it listed in the city screen while the graphic for it appeared outside of my borders in its former owner's territory (not for very long, however ;).)

8. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

I think it's more likely that the bug is that you can build the observatory.

9. AlazkanAssassin

AlazkanAssassin Engineer

On a related note, submarines can pass through the Great Barrier Reef, just like they can with polar ice.

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think so too. I've built observatories in cities adjacent to the Barringer Crater with no mountains around.

11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Chieftain

I love that scheva founded Judaism as Ethiopia in the spoiler above. Not sure if any of you guys are from New York or have ever visited (the anus that is) Times Square, but, dare I say the name? Original Black Jews! Google 'em if you like.

12. ense7en

ense7en n7

Interesting.

13. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Nat. Wonders count as mountains,
    and, of course, mountains count as desert.

With an adjacent mountain, it can be PETRA time;
    no other adjacent (or underneath) desert required! :)

14. TomasAnz

TomasAnz Chieftain

Same thing happende to me. It made me sad. The Neuschwanstein is quite neat for a large empire (with lots of puppets and that honor policy that gives happiness for castles) when making that last push to conquer the world without getting happiness problems. I was lucky I was able to get the eiffel instead.