Do the developers ever talk to the community here?

Idleray

Warlord
There's been a fair number of problems with the expansion and It would be nice to see Firaxis being a bit more proactive and transparent with the community as to what upcoming patch fixes might be.

I personally would appreciate these a lot more than their live streams.

I wish it was in that case, they should release some dev. diary telling us what they're working on but maybe they can't do it for some reason.

Only time I see 2K's folk reply is a few day before Rising Tide release, while I pretty sure they are reading us as lurker due to whatever policy Firaxis have, I would be a tad more happier if communication is two-way.

and make it look as if anything we said have effect to the game itself. (It did, slightly. I wish they are more responsive)

I wish it was in that case, they should release some dev. diary telling us what they're working on but maybe they can't do it for some reason.

A couple dev diaries would have been nice as a way to share with us their thought process behind some of the new features. But considering that RT was released before it was really finished, I suspect they really did not have time to do a proper dev diary.

They used to have decent communication on here when the game first came out, but after a couple patches they almost completely stopped posting. I've only seen a couple of posts from them since the last major base BE patch(the one in spring or so), and the more recent posts were pretty much just saying what was to be expected from upcoming RT previews.

I'm not sure if they just don't feel like talking here in general now or they don't want to deal with the harsh criticism about game from a lot of the users here if they do.

I'd love them to talk it out with us here too(especially if they worked with people here more directly to help polish out issues with our direct feedback rather than do it all alone/by reading), but I understand why they probably don't want to.

Ahem, I think it may more like they're bound by contract or executive meddling from Firaxis or 2K not to do it. I am trying to look at the dev who might read everything we posting in more positive light.

Well, since Firaxis and 2K have PR/social media people like mister kevin and dave hinkle, I suspect it might be a strict separation of job responsibilities thing. The devs are told that their job is to focus on making the game and to leave interacting with the community to the people who were hired to do that.

The 2K representatives occasionally post here to announce something, and more rarely interact and answer a few questions, but I've never seen Firaxis developers post or interact anywhere. They don't do developer diaries. I'm guessing that's against their rules or company culture. The only time you'll hear from Firaxis is when they're talking to a media outlet or at a convention.

I've seen them posting on Reddit. r/civbeyondearth is a lot more enthusiastic about the game which is not very surprising considering it was made for fans and reddit civ players are a lot more casual (on average).

But even there it's not a discussion, I only remember them posting things like "We're working on that" when someone mentioned bugs with the diplomacy.

There will never be discussions about balance or the like. The development of beyond earth has proved twice in a row that this is one of their lowest priority.

Arguably, the development of Civ in general has proved that already before CivBE. It's not really a gamist sort of game - it's always been heavily simulationist.

Top Bottom