Do traits/archetypes affect AI nation behaviour?

salty mud

Deity
I'm curious as to how much character traits/archetypes affect how they play. I played a game recently where a foreign ruler demanded I convert to their religion or face war and investigation of this character showed they were neither a zealot nor pious. What made them force me to convert? Why do they care about my religion? Was it simply a dice roll and I got hit with this particular event? (I didn't see a "requires [character name] is [trait] message underneath) If so, wouldn't the game be much richer and more dynamic if a character's traits determined their actions? Do Zealot leaders spread their religion more aggressively? Do scholars focus on scientific research? Do Heroes lead more war campaigns?

I don't know all of the specifics but there are some differences, for example the military archetypes are indeed more likely to be aggressive during their reign.

The relationship modifiers still affect everything and also different archetypes and traits have preferences which can impact relationships. For example Rome and Greece won't always start out on the best footing because Tacticians and Commander's don't like each other. Then, since both are more inclined toward aggressive, you'll probably see them come to blows.

I wouldn't know how in depth this sort of thing affects events though.

AI nations' leader archetype can definitely play a role in how likely those nations go to war, or offer truce, peace and alliances. And then there are the more obvious relationship shifts due to what characters with certain archetypes and traits like and dislike, like zealots disliking you more for having a different religion.
But that should be all, I think.

Top Bottom