1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you play with ruins on or off?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JaGarLo, Dec 12, 2011.

?

Ruins on / off ?

1. I play with ruins ON

126 vote(s)
    79.7%
  2. I play with ruins OFF

22 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Sometimes ON, sometimes OFF

10 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. The_Quasar

The_Quasar Chieftain

LOL, you too?

2. bcaiko

bcaiko Chieftain

Always on for me. I've never even considered turning them off. Goodie huts are a fun incentive for exploration.

3. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Although I like exploring for ruins and the random boosts they give, I've noticed alot of benefits without them.

For one, the early game lasts longer, all players recieve less free techs, population etcetera. This I really like, it seems the early era passes faster with ruins on and it's my favourite era so...

Also, the boosts are too varied in power. A small amount of culture is nothing unless gotten very early, the map boost can be totally useless (yay, a map of an area I just explored...). On the other hand, getting lucky with the unit upgrade, free tech or even population/culture very early on can be pretty big.

4. Beef Hammer

Beef Hammer Chieftain

Reading through this thread just made me want natural disasters in civ V.

5. CaptainKapow

CaptainKapow Immortal

I used to play with them off as I wanted a more stable opening to figure out good strategies and such.

Once I got up to Immortal level I tried them on a few times and found they added fun and variation to the more boring early parts of the game.

I always despised huts and events in Civ4 but I think that is mainly because there were some crippling negative ones that could just sewer your game. Ex: Barb spawn on first hut, or the dreaded Bermuda Triangle.

6. blasto

blasto Chieftain

Off way more often than not. Mainly because it seems to favor the AI advantage as they always get more than I do.

Also I almost always seem to get a bogus roll like a useless map. And then when I finally do get a good roll, like a unit upgrade, its usually not welcome. Then its usually one of my best units becoming iron dependant before I actually find iron and then my best unit becomes severely handicapped.

7. Alff

Alff Chieftain

I got a Rifleman out of a ruin. I was playing the English and had just researched Bowman.

Did wonders to conquer Cape Town and Florence! Tho it feels a bit stupid, lol.

8. Ruler

Ruler Chieftain

I think they should be part of Civ, they're big threat to the world, well, next to Mc Donalds of course... Anyway maybe one day we actually see Civ with good engine and all kind of natural disasters are cool, climate changing/drying, tsunami etc.

9. KevinMiles90000

KevinMiles90000 Chieftain

quick combat is the only non default setting you are allowed to play with

10. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

On. Got to give the AI a chance. On Immortal I usually get one, or two huts for me and the AIs get all the others.

I always love getting a culture ruin and/or population run early on. Gives everything a kick start.

11. davelisowski

davelisowski Chieftain

on, and i reload constantly until i get a tech. pop

12. Nirosi

Nirosi Hymenopus Coronatus

Mostly on, because then a scout at the beginning makes a bit sense.

13. FromBirth

FromBirth Chieftain

Are you serious, you could be missing out on some really great games that would have been fine without the tech. Do you really need it to be competitive?

I play on, love it when I get a few good pops. Emperor level standard size maps so usually get 2-5 huts.

14. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

On marathon I put them off on norma speed and epic I put them on.