Ruins on / off ?

• I play with ruins ON

Votes: 126 79.7%
  • I play with ruins OFF

Votes: 22 13.9%
  • Sometimes ON, sometimes OFF

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
Always on for me. I've never even considered turning them off. Goodie huts are a fun incentive for exploration.

Although I like exploring for ruins and the random boosts they give, I've noticed alot of benefits without them.

For one, the early game lasts longer, all players recieve less free techs, population etcetera. This I really like, it seems the early era passes faster with ruins on and it's my favourite era so...

Also, the boosts are too varied in power. A small amount of culture is nothing unless gotten very early, the map boost can be totally useless (yay, a map of an area I just explored...). On the other hand, getting lucky with the unit upgrade, free tech or even population/culture very early on can be pretty big.

I used to play with them off as I wanted a more stable opening to figure out good strategies and such.

Once I got up to Immortal level I tried them on a few times and found they added fun and variation to the more boring early parts of the game.

I always despised huts and events in Civ4 but I think that is mainly because there were some crippling negative ones that could just sewer your game. Ex: Barb spawn on first hut, or the dreaded Bermuda Triangle.

Off way more often than not. Mainly because it seems to favor the AI advantage as they always get more than I do.

Also I almost always seem to get a bogus roll like a useless map. And then when I finally do get a good roll, like a unit upgrade, its usually not welcome. Then its usually one of my best units becoming iron dependant before I actually find iron and then my best unit becomes severely handicapped.

I got a Rifleman out of a ruin. I was playing the English and had just researched Bowman.

Did wonders to conquer Cape Town and Florence! Tho it feels a bit stupid, lol.

Reading through this thread just made me want natural disasters in civ V.

I think they should be part of Civ, they're big threat to the world, well, next to Mc Donalds of course... Anyway maybe one day we actually see Civ with good engine and all kind of natural disasters are cool, climate changing/drying, tsunami etc.

On. Got to give the AI a chance. On Immortal I usually get one, or two huts for me and the AIs get all the others.

I always love getting a culture ruin and/or population run early on. Gives everything a kick start.

on, and i reload constantly until i get a tech. pop

on, and i reload constantly until i get a tech. pop

Are you serious, you could be missing out on some really great games that would have been fine without the tech. Do you really need it to be competitive?

I play on, love it when I get a few good pops. Emperor level standard size maps so usually get 2-5 huts.

Top Bottom