Do you play with standard rules or your own?

Do you use the standard Civ3 rules?

• Yep

Votes: 42 47.2%
  • No, I make my own

Votes: 47 52.8%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Dark Sheer
Its modified rules for my own game: ...

... unique units for each Civ (A waste of good work if that is not used since there are so many new animations on the forum ;) )

As to standard rules, I still play them. But I reserve them for the Succession games that I am playing. :)

Pretty much what I do.

On my own, I like to use a map size of at least 210 X 210. I at least modify movement & optimum city number for these maps.

I dunno if it's considered modifying the rules, but i always put off restarting of AI (because it makes no sense) and i like to put off the spaceship victory, because..well.. DUH!

Tweaking the rules has greatly extended the enjoyment and longevity of the game for me. I can't go back to the origninal rules. I spent some time looking at all the mods, decided which one I liked the best, and used it for a basis for the way I think the game should be played.

I tweaked the rules to increase the ideal number of cities for corruption purposes. Before some of the patches, I did some other minor tweaks to lower corruption (additional bldgs to fight corruption) but don't think such changes are necessary anymore.

However, I mainly use the editor to greatly expand the list of cities for each civ because I hate to see all those repeat names with "New" in front. For the Iroquois, I latched onto the idea of someone else from this site (don't remember who, it was a long time ago) and changed all of the fake city names to various tribe names. After all, the Iroquois are supposed to represent all North American indians. I started with the tribes in the Iroquois Confederacy and went from there. I also have done some editing to the Great Leaders names.

I find that using almost any common sense to edit the game, will INDEED improve the game. The standard units are VERY limited and boring thus I recommend adding and altering stats on units. For example mech infantry only has 12 attack while modern armor has 24 attack. Also the defense bonuses are bogusly high.

I mainly change numbers and stats around not so much the fundemental rules of the game.

Btw, it seems Civ 3 has more unbalancing problems that require fixing than Civ 2 did..... Civ 3 has more potential though.

Originally posted by Free Enterprise
I find that using almost any common sense to edit the game, will INDEED improve the game. The standard units are VERY limited and boring thus I recommend adding and altering stats on units. For example mech infantry only has 12 attack while modern armor has 24 attack. Also the defense bonuses are bogusly high.

I mainly change numbers and stats around not so much the fundemental rules of the game.

Btw, it seems Civ 3 has more unbalancing problems that require fixing than Civ 2 did..... Civ 3 has more potential though.

During WWII, German Mech Infantry was devastating on attack in Russia compared to standard infantry and usually accompanied Panzers into battle. The Russians didn't have it in any quantity until around 1943. Having it come with computers is kind of strange. It did come after tanks, but before computers.

I still wish you could upgrade armies -- at a cost for upgrading each unit in the army based upon the type of unit. Nothing like having a tank army become obsolete and you have to keep it around just because it's too good to disband, but really not good enough to keep.

It would be a great thing if you could upgrade armies. Why did they forgot that? It could not possibly be intentional.

Also, you are correct in saying defense units should sometimes fight outside the city. Mech Infantry has sucky stats if you add them up compared to Modern Armor. All because a unit is defensive doesn't mean it should have sucky stats.

I edited my rules but the changes don't show up in my saved game, do i have to start a new one? :( :cry: :cry: :( :cry:

Standard. I wonder how many people have won on the deity level using standard rules? I'm sure its been done by the elite players.

I play a HEAVILY modified version I made:

TECH TREE: Monarchy much easier to get. Big changes in Middle Ages: Easier to get to the sailing ships, and when you get to the Age of Sail it lasts longer, as I postpone the later Ironclad and later ships a bit. I like the Age of Sail. Redid the tech charts so the graphics work still as they are different enough to confuse.

Luxury/Nat. Resources: Horses and uranium are rarer. Nearly all resources can run out now and they run out a *little* more often (I figure tastes change, and other people elsewhere occasionally breed better horse putting old ones out of favor, etc..), *Nearly* every resource requires a tech to see it- some as simple as pottery (to see dyes for example), this ups the strengths of certain civs in certain directions.

UNITS: Upped the power of medieval navy units a bit to allow better differentiation among them and galleys. Upped speeds a bit. Aegis gets to carry tactical weapons. Catapults do NOT need roads (in my game it represents the people you send to build their catapult at whatever location they are seiging- MUCH more realistic!), while Artillery, Cannons, and all the rest need roads. Explorers AND Scouts can NOT pillage (the AI doesn't use them as they are marked exploration only, so this balances it better), submarines a little cheaper,

Balance and MAP issues: Overall research is slower so the ages work out better and last longer. Some key techs are expensive and others cheaper. The UN building costs 2x as much as default so it takes a LONG time to build and you have time to go start a war over it if you're not building it- no longer an easy win now.

Spying costs less with some missions now.

I think that's about it.:crazyeye:

Well, I am not sure whether this counts as a genuine "rule tweak", but:

What I did was simply to quadruple research times. This gives me more turns in the ancient and medieval times which I tend to enjoy more. It is somehow more satisfying to fight the unavoidable Continent Domination War with swordsmen and catapults instead of the modern troops.

Not to mention that with slower tech you can actually have enough time to build that maritime empire with those frigates before they become obsolete.

Now, if only Firaxis would let me set the years per turn factors so that I could get to the Modern Era before 2050... :)

Originally posted by Pembroke
Now, if only Firaxis would let me set the years per turn factors so that I could get to the Modern Era before 2050... :)

Yes! Great idea, btw. I'm going to do that in my game. I'd like to see research be a more gradual thing as well, unless they double the tech tree...I just don't see that happening any time soon. :D

Originally posted by Koronin
Standard, the challenge is better. Editing (with the exception of non-balance changing stuff for a scenario) is up there with quitting/reloading, why bother.

So you don't waste your time playing a non-historical, unrealistic game with absurd concepts such as ridiculously low strategic resource rates (esp. for iron and coal) that screw up strategy.

If you don't like what YOU consider "cheating", then go take it up with the AI that constantly engages in REAL cheating.

Originally posted by Zouave
So you don't waste your time playing a non-historical, unrealistic game with absurd concepts such as ridiculously low strategic resource rates (esp. for iron and coal) that screw up strategy.
Are you nuts?! The resources are one of the only things balanced pretty fairly out of the box. If everyone has easy access to the resources needed in critical parts of the game, why keep them in at all? This game, if nothing else, is built on the concept of trading/warring over the limited resources of the lands you inhabit.

TEhi first thing I did out of the box, wsa change teh Russienz to teh colou® Red. Why wsa Rome Red adn RUssia not?

Originally posted by Zouave

If you don't like what YOU consider "cheating", then go take it up with the AI that constantly engages in REAL cheating.

Coracle, is that you? :D

Shouldn't the poll have a third option - using someone else's mod? That's what I do (can't take Civ3 seriously enough to bother making my own mod).

So, I voted non-standard rules.

I only tweak a few unit values. All aircraft have a range of 8. Bombers have the recon ability. Carriers move 5. And I doubled the power of the SAM site to 16 trying to get it to do something but it still doesn't. I give helos and nuke subs a carrying capacity of at least two, sometimes more. :king:

Top Bottom