Do you think players that like tall empires should skip buying Civ 6?

Artifex1

Warlord
ICS is back as the only way to play it would seem. Since if you don't build cities super close for the district adjacency bonuses you are only handicapping and severely weakening your empire. I love tall empires with minimum overlap so I am sad. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Of course you can still go tall. I've won a deity victory with only 5 cities, at 35+ pop each. Each city was just in range of at least one other's Industrial and Entertainment districts, but none had any overlap of tiles and each was self sufficient.

It's just that having more cities is better, with almost no disadvantage. But if you can't be bothered, small, tall empires are definitely and easily do-able.

If you enjoy Civ V tall and nothing else, then you should probably skip any 4x that isn't Civ V.

But if it's just about placing cities with more space between them/growing big cities... well, you can already do that, it's just not super-efficient. If that is a problem for you, then you should probably just wait for the first (few) patch(es), I highly doubt the current balance will be kept the way it is.

I do well on Immortal w/ 5-7 cities. I generally prefer that to 15+ just to avoid all the micro.

you don't need a lot of cities to keep up with the AI for science. its not if you don't expand a lot you dont get a lot of science

getting a few good campusses with adjecens bonuses and universities

What a defeatist thread to make.

Of course you can still "go tall", though I despise the distinction that has ingrained itself in the civ community between "tall" and "wide", since there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't always have both big cities and many cities.

If all your cities are small, the vital trade routes that are supposed to ensure the growth of new cities will not provide enough resources, since the number of districts in the target city is what determines the trade route yields.

You will also not be able to place important districts unless you have enough population, and luxuries provide a check on expanding too much without building entertainment districts.

Civ V was restrictive and dull in how it forced you to only build a few cities, which isn't how an empire sim should be. Civ 6 is just back to how it used to be, a realistic sprawl of smaller towns around a core of large cities.

define "tall". you can spam a continent full of cities and let them all grow 30+ Tall.

Since if you don't build cities super close for the district adjacency bonuses you are only handicapping and severely weakening your empire. I love tall empires with minimum overlap so I am sad. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong?
You are wrong. the district projection bonuses are there to compensate for the loss of tiles if you build cities with overlap. The problem is emphasized in Civ6, because additional tiles are sacrificed for districts. It's an absolute subtraction and thus scales horribly. A normlal city is 23 tile - 6 districts= 17 tiles left. An overlapped city is like 12 tiles - 6 districts= only 6tiles left for improvements. Without projection bonuses you wouldn't be able to put cities close together because they would all totally suck.

ICS is back as the only way to play it would seem. Since if you don't build cities super close for the district adjacency bonuses you are only handicapping and severely weakening your empire. I love tall empires with minimum overlap so I am sad. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong?

You're kinda wrong because I think you don't entirely understand what ICS was, what it entailed and in what conditions. Having more cities as the game progresses, though, is not as harmful as, say, Civ 5, and is actually part of the mechanism for properly playing a strong game as some civs, like England. In the current state of affairs, you "can win", at least up through immortal in my experience, with 5ish total cities the whole game, on a standard or large size map.

I've seen more than enough screenshots of tall empires over at Reddit to assure you that a lot of people are playing 'tall' and doing well. One guy even managed to get a city to size 76 (lots of internal trade routes from that city).

Wide is viable as well, and maybe even more effective. But most people play to have fun, and not to min/max wins on Deity difficulty.

Play Kongo. Sooo fun to go tall. Both games I've played with them so far I had the city state Kandy near me and I filled my relics slots by medieval era. Stupid amounts of food and production, had 4 huge cities cuz of mbanzas

define "tall". you can spam a continent full of cities and let them all grow 30+ Tall.

You are wrong. the district projection bonuses are there to compensate for the loss of tiles if you build cities with overlap. The problem is emphasized in Civ6, because additional tiles are sacrificed for districts. It's an absolute subtraction and thus scales horribly. A normlal city is 23 tile - 6 districts= 17 tiles left. An overlapped city is like 12 tiles - 6 districts= only 6tiles left for improvements. Without projection bonuses you wouldn't be able to put cities close together because they would all totally suck.

except if I have the same amount of space
2 overlapped cities ... getting 4-6 factory output each (for ~10 factory output total)
v
1 spread out city...getting 2-4 factory output (for ~3 total)
both have the same number of "usable tiles"..since all non-neighborhood districts are "usable tiles"

(the 2 cities will have more districts instead of normal tiles....and districts are better than normal tiles)

but importantly the 2 city space will have ~3x the factory production. (which is important mid-late game)

So you can start with big cities, but then you want to crowd small factory cities around them.

Yep, a micromanager's dream, strike that, hell.
Not really....the "factory cities" just build an IZ and its buildings... and that's it (no housing/avoid food, etc.). (then just repeat build projects/builders)

(if you give them all hubs/harbors THEN its gets micromanagey... but that's because they haven't gotten some good "autorenew" on trade routes yet)

except if I have the same amount of space
2 overlapped cities ... getting 4-6 factory output each (for ~10 factory output total)
v
1 spread out city...getting 2-4 factory output (for ~3 total)
both have the same number of "usable tiles"..since all non-neighborhood districts are "usable tiles"

(the 2 cities will have more districts instead of normal tiles....and districts are better than normal tiles)

but importantly the 2 city space will have ~3x the factory production. (which is important mid-late game)

So you can start with big cities, but then you want to crowd small factory cities around them.

All true, but you are ignoring the fact that these extra Settlers, districts, and buildings all require a significant investment. In the long run, such investments are usually worth it, but they are not strictly necessary for every victory condition or play style.

They most definitely should skip Civ6 in that case!
It's hardly enough though. They should also condemn Civ6 devs to a deep level of hell, and then
continue to snipe at any new versions and upgrades from inside their bunkers in the Civ1 to 5 forums.

Maximum efficiency isn't really necessary to remain competitive, and "tall" is quite viable.

This isn't Civ3, in which you had to settle a city every other turn not to fall hopelessly behind (on the higher difficulties).

There are still some ways to go tall. Kongo with Mbanzas and relics, India with Stepwells, Rome with Baths etc

And it's not like going tall is any way obsolete otherwise either. It's just in the super try hard multiplayer scene where it might be a bit harder but in single player games of course you can still do it, even on deity

You can go tall if you want. I've won a few games going tall.

In fact, in VI tall or wide both have their own challenges, but, both are viable options to victory.

Top Bottom