Do you use the Advanced Start feature?

jhflif

Chieftain
I think it's a lot easier to get into a new game having 2 or 3 cities with a few primitive improvements and a few basic units than having to wander around aimlessly looking for huts while waiting 30 turns for a settler to build.

To be honest I have never used advanced start before... Just how does it work?

To be honest I have never used advanced start before... Just how does it work?

Well you start out with a larger than usual portion of the map revealed and a number of points. You can use those points to place cities, give population or culture in those cities, build roads or mines or farms or make primitive units like workers or settlers.

You don't get all that much though and it generally means having one great starting city, 2 good ones, or 3 mediocre ones.

I like to start with two small cities with a connecting road, improvements built on the nearest food resources and hills, and a couple of warriors and workers and maybe a scout.

You can choose the amount of points awarded. But in my experience, it only makes things more difficult for the poor AI. It does, for example, discover a new religion right of the bat, and uses it's points rather one sided.

I normally do it with a small number of points, just to speed up the start

It's mainly useful for placing your capital without wasting turns wandering around.

And if you're feeling mean, grabbing all 3 early religions on the first turn.

I normally do it with a small number of points, just to speed up the start

It's mainly useful for placing your capital without wasting turns wandering around.

And if you're feeling mean, grabbing all 3 early religions on the first turn.

hmm Never thought about using it to claim religions... that alone could help you to make a giant religious bloc by controlling every faith on the continent which obviously can be immensely powerful especially in the early game :king:

In my mind, it is smarter to use Advanced Start to create your capital, improve it, and buy settlers instead of building other cities, unless you really see good another spot for another city.

Point being that you just dont see enough to safely place your other cities, and buying visibility costs money -> Safer/Cheaper to buy settlers, and place the cities with the scouting information that they provide as they move to position after the game has begun.

There are exceptions as I said, if there are clear already visible position(s) for multiple cities, then I build multiple cities. But if I have to pay to get more visibility in order to do this, I choose not to build that city, and not to buy visibility, but buy settlers and scouts to fast check the area and expand.

Not sure if this is as good strategy as I think, but I prefer it.

The Ai doesn't know how to use it so no i do not use it, even though i tried it ounce or twice.

You mean that the AI doesn't get any kind of build boost with advanced start? That would be a bit one sided.

I tried it once, but couldn't get into it. It felt weird, and my cities were very...artificial feeling. Plus, half the fun of Civ for me is looking at my Empire and realising I did all of that with a settler and a warrior/scout. For me, Advance Starts really take some of the epicness out of the game.

Now, maybe I would enjoy it better if I tried it earlier on, when I tried it it was in the modern era.

It's a cool feature for those that don't want to be pressing end turn over and over for that settler unit to get finished. I like starting straight from the beginning however, so I don't use it.

I dont really use it but its alright, it can guarantee a religion for you Monarch+, since you can research one of the early religions and your in the first seat you'll nab it everytime

No Ancient Wars in Civ?! Are your games outta whack? For me, I always manage to piss off an Aggresive Civ by 3000BC, and then all hell breaks loose. Soon, WWI is reached and played out by Axes, Spears, and the newest technology, Swords!

I don't have a single way of doing it, but I tend to buy a couple of settlers, or one settler and one other towh, an improvement or two, and heavy into techs.

No Ancient Wars in Civ?! Are your games outta whack? For me, I always manage to piss off an Aggresive Civ by 3000BC, and then all hell breaks loose. Soon, WWI is reached and played out by Axes, Spears, and the newest technology, Swords!

Of course there's Monty and the rest, but I am usually not the aggressor because I'm a terrible noob at the beginnings. :lol: With advanced start I can be the aggressor for once, with archers and chariots and the rest.

All the time, without it there wouldn't be ancient wars.

I play more early wars without advanced starts. Feels better.
As Pimpy said, the Epicness is just not the same...
Also, I like the headstart I get from being able to chop if I start in a forest, giving me effectively twice or thrice the production of the AIs in the early game, considering worker costs.

I've tried it a couple of times, it didn't really catch my attencion as I live for early wars, which is much harder to do on AS. :sad:

Does advanced start work on scenarios? I tried it on one and all I got was a countdown until global world peace broke down... Is this a glitch or am I missing something here.

^- reply to the "advanced start in scenarios" -question.

Adv. start isn't intented to work in scenarios, unless the scenario spesifically allows it.

It will be so atleast after the coming patch. Right now it might be broken, like in the way you just described (that you can choose adv. start, but it doesn't work like intented).

It is quite obivious if you think about it, many scenarios lose their intented behaviour if you would be allowed to use advanced start. On some it would work tho, and then the creator of that scenario should have flagged it as "advanced start allowed".

True.. But I was trying to do it with my own custom scenario. Why wouldn't the game allow it then? Is there an actual allow option I have to toggle?

Top Bottom