Does a dual processor speed up this game?

Is there any advantage in having a dual processor to speed up this game? I suspect the game code won't specifically take advantage of a dual processor (though I could be wrong about that) but nevertheless, is there anyone out there who has seen or knows of a difference in performance between a single processor and a dual processor, assuming the speed of each processor is about the same?

For instance, currently I have a P4 3.2 GHz machine with an HD 4770 card.

If I upgraded to an I3, which is a dual 3.0 Ghz, would it be faster or slightly slower, or a barely noticeable difference?

Civ IV uses one core. A second might help, depending how many other programs are running in the backround.

Civ V can use as many as six, or only one.

Using more cores allows Windows to devote one core to Civ, and the others to other tasks. That's the simplistic explanation. It's a little more complicated than that, but for all intents and purposes...

No. I did read it was designed to use as many as six cores in an article somewhere.

Here's what the 2K rep had to say recently.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9189668&highlight=specs#post9189668

I don't see any mention of 6 cores by 2K Elizabeth anywhere in that thread so I'm not sure where you're getting that info from. From what I've read, Civ 5 will make use of up to 8 threads, and there's 2 threads to a core. So that would mean a max of 4 cores, not 6.

Top Bottom