Does anyone beeline Civil Service for the Chichen Itza wonder?

Theruss

Warlord
It's been a long time since I built this wonder, and I cannot even get to Civil Service before an AI finishes the Chichen Itza. The AI really does love this wonder, it seems. You'd have to ignore the worker techs and beeline straight to Civil Service it seems to get this wonder now. :crazyeye:

I usually go up to Civil Service early, but it's hard to get Chichen Itza on Immortal, so I really only get it for the extra food on river tiles and because it's on the path to Education.

yes, the tech lead the AI gets on top difficulties means that if just one decides to beeline for this you have no chance of beating them to it. Animal Husbandry and the Wheel on diety means they start with two Level 1 and a Level 2 tech ahead of you, no matter how well you play, you can't beat them to it without dumb luck.

That's why I'm looking for a mod that takes just the tech advantages the AI gets out of King+.

I beeline for it, and I go Liberty just for securing an engineer for the Wonder.

What's the point?

Due to river squares not giving anymore gold, golden ages are sort of nerfed. In G&K you'd get extra 100% gold per turn usually, now it's just a little more, a paltry production bonus you can have permanently in bigger cities if you take the production % modifier .....

I used to put it under a minor priority, but now if I'm not behind in tech I go for it.
The AI is certified to build it before you if you are not fast, so that's why you must be confident in your tech output.

Else I beeline for Notre Dame, which the AI is very unlikely to get (because they rather aim for civil service) and it is (in my opinion) an even better wonder.

I'm never able to get Chichen Itza. In fact, I can barely manage to get wonders until mid-late game.

Only ones I've managed to nab are, curiously enough, all the faith ones:

-Stonehenge
-Borobudur
-Hagia Sophia
-Great Mosque of Djenne

and then Mausoleum of Halicarnassus once

^ I can consistently make HG on Immortal around T70-75. Unless Jungle starts, but screw jungle starts, lol.
Also, a Shoshone game with Liberty + Tradition means HG and Pyramids, which is ridiculously fast at growth actually. I'd even put it just as good as Tradition finisher beeline.

It's sad I can never hardbuild the CI now on Immortal. Often times it get made before I even tech it. Or even if I beeline for it, it just has that other awkward situation where you're hardproducing it and gets made by like 2-4 turns.

I rather not waste a Liberty GP on CI though. Like said, Golden Age are kind of nerfed now. It also doesn't really matter much when it comes to culture victories either. It's nice to pillage cities with it. But aside from that, it's now just another free wonder given to the AIs.

It's nigh on impossible on immortal to get to Civil Service and hard build it before the AI if they also want it.

On G&K, getting to CS by turn 90 gave you a good chance of building it, but you often still found that the AI would get it, usually whoever built the GL. I'd say I would get it 80-90% of the time in G&K on immortal. Now I've seen it built by turn 80. FFS.

I don't know if the starting bonuses have changed, but today I had Pacal settling a new city by turn 19 AND building stonehenge by turn 30. I used to think they just started building a settler from the off, but his pop was at 4. He went piety too, so no free settler. No eldorado about, so no free cash, and he was the only other person on the continent with me. I can't fathom it.

^ I can consistently make HG on Immortal around T70-75. Unless Jungle starts, but screw jungle starts, lol.
Also, a Shoshone game with Liberty + Tradition means HG and Pyramids, which is ridiculously fast at growth actually. I'd even put it just as good as Tradition finisher beeline.

This is another one that seems to be pure luck if the AI really goes for it. Gone by about turn 50 regularly in my games.

Maybe on Deity? Because HG do get made on Immortal around T55 sometimes, but it isn't common for me. Maybe I just take the tradition oriented civs, lol.

I used to put it under a minor priority, but now if I'm not behind in tech I go for it.
The AI is certified to build it before you if you are not fast, so that's why you must be confident in your tech output.

Else I beeline for Notre Dame, which the AI is very unlikely to get (because they rather aim for civil service) and it is (in my opinion) an even better wonder.

Yeah, I can usually get Notre Dame. Usually I beeline Physics the moment I see Chichen Itza completed. Plus Trebuchets are usually needed asap for pesky neighbors :hammer:

Top Bottom