1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Civ 5 need to be "smartened up"?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by da_Vinci, Oct 10, 2010.

?

Does Civ 5 need to be "smartened up"? (Chose all that apply)

1. No, I love it like it is

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Yes, fix basic functions (saving, screenshots, replays, MP, etc.)

158 vote(s)
    65.8%
  3. Yes, give the AI a brain (combat, diplo, etc.)

211 vote(s)
    87.9%
  4. Yes, show me the data (provide more info on what is going on)

170 vote(s)
    70.8%
  5. Yes, bring back the good stuff (religion, sliders, stacks, etc.)

99 vote(s)
    41.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ogaburan

Ogaburan Chieftain

I agree with most of the things in the poll, just don't bring me back the stacks of doom!

2. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

"No" option was there for completeness (and without it the poll is hugely biased :lol:), not because I expected a landslide over there.

Don't apologize for the pedantry, I am probably the king of pedants over at the Civ 4 GOTM forum ... just ask AlanH (on second thought, maybe I an second only to him in pedantry over there ... :mischief:).

dV

3. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

By necessity, the last option about restoring prior features throws lots of items in the same bag. If a meaningful proportion of responses are yes to this last option in the long run, then a separate poll asking about these items individually would be warranted.

dV

4. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

I voted for the AI. The other things are largely cosmetic. I suspect that if there is anything that kills players' desire to continue playing is the fact that they are playing against lobotomized chimps (and that is being generous).

Rat

5. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Same here.

What NEEDS to be improved:

* Multiplayer, definitely.

* AI: in my current game Elizabeth is slaying every AI she meets, but this last standing AI on her continent will never ally to me... that's kind of a nonsense. Not that i want badly him to be my ally, but slowing down her by allying with this AI would be of great help. And this AI is very weak and vulnerable to her, she even asked me a pact of secrecy against it, which i refused. I don't understand why AIs will not go into the natural route that could save them. This should be addressed, if possible.......

6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

All right, who voted that they love it as it is? Whomever you are, cha ron the wrong track. ;)

7. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

First three "yes" options, and as for the last, I want Civ V, not a remake of Civ IV. I already have that game, and I am not obsessed with graphics.

8. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

With about 40% saying that removed gameplay features need to be restored, it suggests that most of the folks who voted yes in the "dumbed down" poll weren't just talking about bad AI, bugs, and a black box interface.

On that particular point, as SS-18 ICBM alludes to, you either think that the gameplay and feature changes are "Civ Improved", or that it is "Civ Removed" (Thormodr's view, I think). That is so much a matter of taste and opinion, that I don't expect consensus. The question then becomes whether making some of these features available as options, either in mods, patches or expansions, can give everyone what they want.

dV

9. Mac2411

Mac2411 Chieftain

I wish the poll choices could be separated out a little more. I for one do not miss stacks or the sliders. I think stacks were a terrible method for combat. Still, the AI needs to be able to handle 1UPT and right now it can't do that very well (although I have seen some times when it does pretty well).

10. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

Well, I could have had up to 25 choices, I think, but that seems a bit overwhelming.

In the future, one could poll on what elements of Civ 4 would you like to see back in Civ 5 ... and itemize separately sliders, religion, stacks, espionage, corporations, etc. In this poll, if you want any of those back, you should vote yes for the last choice.

dV

11. Mallipeep

Mallipeep Chieftain

The name of the poll and the choices arent related at all:

The option 5 is more like "bring back the dumb stuff" (unless they manage to implement those concepts in a new and smart way or such) if you ask me.

Options 2-3 are just bugs/rushjob effects

Option 4 is debateable

12. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

The "smartening up" in the name was a marketing ploy related to the "dumbed down", as I stated earlier ... see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9751257&postcount=14 If you think "does civ 5 need changing?" is a better title, then pretend that was the title. ;)

I wrote choice 5 as "bring back the good stuff" because I assumed that is what the folks picking #5 would think of those items, and I wanted the folks who think that way to recognize that in the choice. I assumed the folks that think those are dumb things would not be swayed by one little adjective ... :mischief:

All of the options are debatable ... you can pick and believe yes or no to each. And yes, 2 and 3 are just bugs/rushjobs/incompletes (better not be intentional! :eek:) A large motivation for the poll was to separate out among those feeling it's "dumbed down", whether that is due to the bugs, AI stupidity, and/or limited information presentation as opposed to the removal of gameplay features that they feel made the game smarter. I think the poll is providing some insight into that question.

dV

13. Mokupo

Mokupo Chieftain

Voted the second and the third option, because that's the only thing that annoys me.
    And I just laughed at the way you put "stacks" at the good stuff :D

14. eviltypeguy

eviltypeguy Chieftain

What doesn't work for screenshots? They seem to work just fine.

I do miss replays though.

Also, what's wrong with saves again? Are you talking about the inability to manually save in MP?

15. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

It's all in the eye of the beholder, so for some stacks are good stuff (especially compared to blobs/blankets/carpets of doom, see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9688417&postcount=24), see post 32 above.

dV

16. Chryso

Chryso Chieftain

No amount of tweaking will help this title, it is broken at its core.

17. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

Screenshots ... no naming window at the time they are made, now come as .tga files, which sent some of us hunting for a program to read them, and it seems that if I have some of the drop down menus open, then the SS loses most of the interface features when it captures.

Saves: They fixed some of it ... but manual saves in MP, for one, and I would like to be able to load a game by selecting the game file, instead of from the game menu. You know, just give me the functionality in 5 that you gave me in 4 ... I've been spoiled.

dV

18. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Voted for improved AI, fixing MP, and adding more info (though I think this is the lowest priority of the three). The "good stuff" isn't good, it's just Civ 4 stuff. I don't want Civ4 reskinned; I want a version of Civ 5 that is held together with something stronger than baling wire and duct tape. :undecide:

19. MRM

MRM Chieftain

I voted for all yes options. AI is just braindead. I decleared war on a continents map to 2 more powerfull civs at once, just to have some challange. 3 Ships were enough to win against them :crazyeye: - they embarked units right beside my frigate without protection, other unites waited on the shore for me to shoot them like sitting ducks. And then he even send more landunites to be shot at, until he runs out of unites.

They promised the AI try to win? Never had this impression.

Even if they are ahead in techs and military, I won a space race several times, just because the AI didn`t go for a victory condition. If I do nothing, the game run until 2050. Meh.

Bugfixing and balancing is nessasary, but here I am somewhat optimistic - Civ 4 wasn`t good in the beginning either - but after some fixes ...

Bring back good old stuff - well, not exactly stacks and sliders. I don`t need them. Religion maybe - but I wasn`t too happy with the implementation in Civ 4. ( why should having 5 religions in a city with 5 temples make people more happy then 1 religion with one temple ?)Should be different somehow.

But I miss wonder and victory movies ( wondermovies like Civ 2 :) ) replay function. And still even the palace/throne room from the older versions :lol:. Advisors like those in Civ2 - not that I need them, but they are funny to watch at least :)

20. bromidias

bromidias Chieftain

Well you cant manually save in MP thats a problem I find. I play this game with a group of friends around 5 and we all have a game together. (game 1) Then I have a game with eatch of them seperetly. (game 2-6) And ofcourse I then have some games that I play with 2 or 3 of them... (game 7+)
    I know thats a lot of multieplayer games all running though eatchother and its hard to keep track of. Thats why we need saves that you can manually save and name.

The most stupid part is that you can shift-s to manually save that save gets written to your multieplayer folder but you can't load it because you can only load autosaves.
    If you put autosave_ before the save name and copypast it to your autosaves in the multieplayer folder then you can load it.
    Tho it gives a bug that the game is reset to prince difficulty when you load it.

Its stupid that they've made everything ready to let you save manually exept that they forgot to implemant a load manually saved game in MP :cry:

Sorry for going of topic.