Does Civ 5 need to be "smartened up"?

Does Civ 5 need to be "smartened up"? (Chose all that apply)

• No, I love it like it is

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Yes, fix basic functions (saving, screenshots, replays, MP, etc.)

Votes: 158 65.8%
  • Yes, give the AI a brain (combat, diplo, etc.)

Votes: 211 87.9%
  • Yes, show me the data (provide more info on what is going on)

Votes: 170 70.8%
  • Yes, bring back the good stuff (religion, sliders, stacks, etc.)

Votes: 99 41.3%

• Total voters
Well you cant manually save in MP thats a problem I find. I play this game with a group of friends around 5 and we all have a game together. (game 1) Then I have a game with eatch of them seperetly. (game 2-6) And ofcourse I then have some games that I play with 2 or 3 of them... (game 7+)
I know thats a lot of multieplayer games all running though eatchother and its hard to keep track of. Thats why we need saves that you can manually save and name.

The most stupid part is that you can shift-s to manually save that save gets written to your multieplayer folder but you can't load it because you can only load autosaves.
If you put autosave_ before the save name and copypast it to your autosaves in the multieplayer folder then you can load it.
Tho it gives a bug that the game is reset to prince difficulty when you load it.

Its stupid that they've made everything ready to let you save manually exept that they forgot to implemant a load manually saved game in MP :cry:

Sorry for going of topic.
No apology needed ... this thread and its poll cover a lot of stuff, so I think your comments are right on topic.

dV

Well you cant manually save in MP thats a problem I find. I play this game with a group of friends around 5 and we all have a game together. (game 1) Then I have a game with eatch of them seperetly. (game 2-6) And ofcourse I then have some games that I play with 2 or 3 of them... (game 7+)
I know thats a lot of multieplayer games all running though eatchother and its hard to keep track of. Thats why we need saves that you can manually save and name.

I was in a similar situation - one game with several friends, then other games with individual friends - and I noticed that multiple concurrent games could overwrite each other (theoretically), because all autosaves are named solely by the year they were saved. Plus, the autosaves happen for everyone, not just the host - so just rotating hosting duties doesn't prevent those saves from potentially overwritten.

The game does append the word "Old" onto the previous 'set' of MP autosaves, but beyond that, it seemed dangerous to have more than maybe 2 different MP games going simultaneously. I don't think I had any definitively disappear, but sadly most of us got bored with Civ5 before we got very far, so we haven't been actively playing much after the initial week or two.

Here is my list of changes I think need to be made in order of importance:

1. AI needs to be improved in all areas, but specifically in warfare and naval warfare. Without this, this game is unplayable.
2. Maintenance needs to be tweaked to ease the burden that buildings and road/rail represents on civs in this game.
3. Cultural policy "targets" need to be tweaked so that expanding does not make a cultural victory impossible.
4. Techs need to provide tangible implementable benefits. For example, if I learn a tech that allows a new unit, I want to be able to produce and maybe use a couple of those units before the next tech level is reached and they are obsolete.
5. Who am I buying my land from when I "buy a tile?" Scrap this and just let me pick tiles whenever my culture allows.
6. Improve puppets by allowing me to veto (but not guide) construction of buildings, to save on maintenance. AND lower the time it takes to build a courthouse, and the maintenance required for that building.
7. AI leaders need to be more logical in their interactions with players. It is nearly impossible to figure out what their state of mind is until they declare war on you for that scout you have near one of their borders.
8. Great People buildings need to be more of a bonus. Right now, you would have to be crazy to take one over the free tech, trade mission, or golden age they can give you instead.
9. Resources vs. Happiness needs to be tweaked. Why does finding whale give me the same level of happy whether I have 3 citizens or 250? Shouldn't it be proportionate?
10. Allow me to stack 5 units in my cities, and allow more than one unit to end its turn on a tile in my own territory, but only one unit may attack from this tile on the following turn.

Those 10 items should vastly improve this game.

I DO NOT WANT STACKS!! Except in the city. More HP on cities also. Imo you should need a siege unit to take down a wall or castle maybe even give them separate health bars.

All the other things I'd love to have back though;)

At present 6 people (less than 3%) on Civfanatics are happy with the game right out of the box. No surprises there.

Then again, if you did the same poll when Civ4 came out, I'm betting that that low number would be about the same due to all the crashes and glitches.

The number of people unhappy with the game features and elements would probably have been considerably less though, given that Civ4 certainly had more content at release (regardless of crashes).

Then again, if you did the same poll when Civ4 came out, I'm betting that that low number would be about the same due to all the crashes and glitches.
The crashes and glitches in Civ4 affected less than 25% of the CivFanatics who vote in such polls (that's a very conservative estimation, I remember polls where the number of people with technical issues ranged between 5% and 17%). That's of course still quite a lot, and shows that the hardware testing prior to release was insufficient.

The number of people unhappy with the game features and elements would probably have been considerably less though, given that Civ4 certainly had more content at release (regardless of crashes).
Yep. There were people who didn't like the changes in Civ4, but their number never was anywhere near the 40% we're seeing in this poll (and most of them complained of the 3d graphics, the hardware requirements, and the inability to play huge maps on their rigs, anyway). But the strength of the AI was barely questioned at all in the weeks after release, much more people (falsely) claimed that the AI cheated in combat because they had lost battles unexpectedly. And the question whether a lot of "basic" stuff was missing wasn't important at all, which seems to be very different for Civ5.

Top Bottom