1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Civilization 3 work in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Blanchflower, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Chieftain

OK, I am going to buy a new PC soon with Windows 8 installed. I bought Civilization 3 Complete on Steam.

The question is, does it work on Windows 8? Has anyone tried it before? Thanks!

:)

2. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Chieftain

CivIII installed from CD works for me on Windows 8 when installed like the link in my sig for win 7, but I haven't tried the Steam version.

3. Legorol

Legorol Chieftain

Civ 3 Complete on Steam works fine for me on Windows 8.

4. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Chieftain

Thanks for the clarification!

:)

5. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

I can run it, but the screen resolution is all jacked up...any suggestions? (I'm running Windows 8 on a Surface Pro and running the Steam version).

6. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I have run steam and cd version on win8.

7. ThinkTank

ThinkTank RL Addict

I bought it online half a year ago (don't remember where) for my new laptop which does not have a CD drive anymore, it runs windows 8 and civ works fine.

@bartdanr: make sure the conquests.ini file contains this setting: KeepRes=1

8. estrongblade

estrongblade Epaulette Inspector

What about patches? Where do I find the 1.22 civ conquest patch that will work with windows 8 - I am using the Civ III disc and the Civ Conquests disc - they loaded fine but are showing the 1.00 version. Never mind - I found it by searching 'Civ III (v1.22)'.