Does research carry over into the next Tech?

tulanehockey

Chieftain
Does staying at 100% research, even though 50% would accomplish the technology in one turn, carry over into the next technology?

nope you have to research each individually, usually you can grab some extra gold by dropping the slider as low as it can go to remain at 1 turn to discover a tech then punch it back up for the next tech.

nope you have to research each individually, usually you can grab some extra gold by dropping the slider as low as it can go to remain at 1 turn to discover a tech then punch it back up for the next tech.

Wrong. The :science: per turn carry over between techs, just like :hammers: carry over for things you build.

It was that way in older versions of Civ - definitively in Civ II, don't quite remember Civ III (because I didn't like it that much, so my recollection is impaired).

I think I even read that in the Civ 4 manual, that they introduced the carry-over of the overflow to reduce micro-management.

Cheers, LT.

Yes it will. For example, let us say that you are currently researching something that requires 180 research points. Currently, you are producing 190 research points. The excess research points (10) will go to what your going to research next.

To continue from our example, let us say that what you are going to research next requires only 5 research points to finish. In this case, you cannot research the next tech until the next turn. Meaning, even though you got the excess research points, you cannot research two tech instantaneously. The game is limited to researching one tech at a time.

This is pretty much what Fei Kelei meant.

It was that way in older versions of Civ - definitively in Civ II, don't quite remember Civ III (because I didn't like it that much, so my recollection is impaired).

I think I even read that in the Civ 4 manual, that they introduced the carry-over of the overflow to reduce micro-management.

Cheers, LT.

Yep, also in Civ3. And in Civ3 every tech took at least 4 turns to research, even though you had enough science to complete it in two turns.
I did like the great scientist bonus, although it was mostly a bonus to human players.

Re: the overflow. I'm sure you can see, assuming there was enough overflow, its appearance on the completion bar.

There's overflow, and it can be abused for a little extra :science:. Take a tech you've delayed a long time, such as archery (in some cases). When you're putting up 1000 BPT, throw a turn of 100% science research into that, then overflow it into the tech you want to research. Techs get discounts for other civs knowing it (that you've met), and pre-req discounts. In some cases it's probably possible to get a +50% boost to that green number at the top left of the screen, though obviously you're only going to be able to use this for whatever techs you still have that are cheap/mass discounted.

Short answer: yes.

TMIT gives an excellent summary, it's worth repeating - you can actually get EXTRA beakers this way! So on top of WFYABTA you have even more incentive to save stuff like archery or monotheism or whatever it is in your game until a much later time to research.

Thanks guys, was wondering why I was getting out teched in some games, now i know, and knowing is half the battle! (the other half is VIOLENCE)

Top Bottom