1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Stalin really belong in the game?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by caketastydelish, May 8, 2008.

1. Wodan

Wodan Chieftain

AS, I don't disagree with most of what you say, but the following two sentences seem to me to contradict each other:

Which is it?

2. Billy Bob Joe

Billy Bob Joe Chieftain

Let's use a very basic soccer analogy. Without bringing in any of the crimes against humanity both leaders committed. Stalin is a soccer player that brought his team out of the dumps and made them one of the best soccer teams for many decades. Hitler is a soccer player that brought his team out of the dumps for a few years then started giving the ball away to the other team and kicking own goals.

Now, if we ignore the horrible things both leaders did, Hitler doesn't seem like that great of a soccer player, while Stalin does. This can be roughly equated to their standings on the world stage.

Obviously, the atrocities committed change things, but you can't say that Hitler's achievements for Germany are worthy of notice when all he basically managed to do was create an economy entirely based on production of war materials, then lose a war that could have been won if only he hadn't had a power trip and took control of the military from his incredibly intelligent generals and given it to himself.

3. Wodan

Wodan Chieftain

That's not an accurate statement. Even a cursory skim of Wikipedia will show.

4. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

If you really don't want to see Stalin in the game, just mod him out, then deny any and all rumors that he ever existed in the first place. :D

5. Saim

Saim Chieftain

Alexander the Great was not an evil ruler? Have you heard of what he did to Greek rebellions?

*facedesk*

The founder of Stalin's political ideology was a Jew!

He killed Jews, but not due to any anti-Jewish sentiment, at least not as far as I know.

Even Gandhi had issues, he would sleep next to nude young women to prove his chastity, in South Africa when he campaigned for ethnic Indian rights he said some pretty nasty things about native Africans, and there's still more.

If you have an issue with it, don't respond! It's not like we're tying you down to a chair and forcing you to read our posts!

*more facedesk*

He wasn't the one who had an issue with this thread...

Perhaps you should actually refute his arguments rather than replace them with blind patriotism (it's a bit redundant to say "blind" patriotism, I know)?

Genghis Khan was the best conqueror the Mongols ever had.

And that makes it right?

He was also a terrorist separatist :)
    I doubt you would be as happy with a Puerto Rican or Hawaiian Revolutionary War...

Are you insane?

Even if the nation doesn't want to be reunited? If the South wants independence, why shouldn't they get it?

This is directly analogous to conflicts like Kosovo, Kashmir, Palestine, etc.

6. vogtmurr

vogtmurr Chieftain

7. Anexus

Anexus Chieftain

I think it was a mistake to add Stalin, but many leaders are controversial. I'm sure a lot of Chinese Americans would be uncomfortable playing as Mao.

Stalin was a very bad person, but Hitler is far more notorious because of how history is written. And he started World War II, it wasn't Stalin.

8. Dave_Oz

Dave_Oz Chieftain

Yes Stalin belongs in this game

Just like Hitler, Nuclear weapons, Terrorism, sacking cities and pollution belong in this game

Yes they are some of the less proud moments of our history, but its still OUR history, and its very relevant to this game.

If you go down the path of excluding Hitler, Stalin, Terrorism, then where will it end?

If some people had there way, Civilization 5, you'll only be able to farm land. Then we will have people complaining about how mass farming hurts the environment and Civilization 6 will just be one guy sitting in a cave bored. :sad:

9. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Welcome to the Forums Dave_Oz. :beer: