Does the AI ever shoot down your satellites?

Janskey

Prince
Just wondering if other people have the same experience as me. Last game, I had a planet carver attacking an enemy city. They moved an artillery there and I thought, well, there goes the satellite... But no, it didn't. They just let me keep on bombing.

Yes especially cities are shooting any military non friendly satellite every single time.
Maybe yours is right out of range, or for some reason the AI doesn't have rocket battery on the nearby city.

Yes, me too. The city blows the satellite out of the sky every time.

I think an artillery unit has to be adjacent to the satellite's hex to get a shot in while the city seems to be able to shoot at any satellite in its range.

Almost every time I put a satellite up next to an enemy city it was shot down.

AI does it, but I never have.

Not sure about this, but from my own experience thus far, I've yet to see the AI put up a combat-related satellite. They love the solar collector, but never seen much else.

Rocket battery in a city does the trick. Too bad there is no way of knowing if the city has one or not, although I believe its compulsory for the AI to build them anyway. Also, there buildings and quests that modify the range of the rocket battery.

Perhaps covert ops reveals whether or not a city has a rocket battery?

The rocket-battery building has a +1 range city shoot down as a quest alternative, but what is the standard shoot down range? is it only right above the city tile?

I've had a few games where AI put up bunch of planet carvers, so I'd say it depends on which AI and what preference they roll.

I'm sure each AI has some base range plus random spread for sat usage. I'd agree it's not common though, maybe 1 in 5 or so games does an AI use combat says against me.

Defense sat now, I see a lot, like the tech net one. Pan pacific AI for me always seems to blanket their area with them

AI does it, but I never have.

Not sure about this, but from my own experience thus far, I've yet to see the AI put up a combat-related satellite. They love the solar collector, but never seen much else.

I've seen them use tacnet hubs before. As for the other military satellites, I do not know.

Thanks for the answers. Good to know the game isn't THAT broken.

Top Bottom