• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Does the AI factor in nukes before attacking?

Off the top of my head, some notable things I've found useful in army demographics posturing:

-Volunteer army (6 foreign legion) upgrade for 70 gold each to 70 strength infantry at plastics. In a peaceful game you are often beelining plastics anyway, so this is a match made in heaven.
-Gatling gun upgrades, though of dubious worth in war relative to crossbow, is a huge swing in demographics.
-Early game, hold back on Metal Casting, and hammer out warriors, upgrading them to iron swordsmen for 80 gold. Composites are better for the national defense and the actual fighting, but swords in the demographics might convince the warmonger to hit your neighbor instead.
-Frigates, in addition to being extremely useful ranged units, also have a large combat strength score.

The ottoman's UA often gives them a ton of combat strength in garbage stolen ships. All 20 caravels might 1 shot themselves colliding into city walls but it sure does look impressive!
For similar reasons, Shaka (tons of promotions and half Melee maintenance), Bismarck of Germany (25% land unit maintenance), and Catherine of Russia (tons of spare horse & iron beyond what you can trade for your own forces)

Other than mods and the random pop-up about pointiest sticks, how do you know how the AI ranks your military? I understand that score strongly reflects relative AI-perceived military strength. It that generally the only way to tell? And just how closely does the score track military strength? (Wonders and territory are factors too, but maybe much less so?)

Other than mods and the random pop-up about pointiest sticks, how do you know how the AI ranks your military? I understand that score strongly reflects relative AI-perceived military strength. It that generally the only way to tell? And just how closely does the score track military strength? (Wonders and territory are factors too, but maybe much less so?)

As others may have mentioned already, I think the AI combines your overall combat power. So if you have 2 units with a melee power of 20, then your power is 40. Though I could be wrong, but I think that is roughly how it goes.

Anyway, I have another question. How does the AI factor in things like defensive pacts? Does the AI just combine the power of the 2 allied powers?

As others may have mentioned already, I think the AI combines your overall combat power. So if you have 2 units with a melee power of 20, then your power is 40.

It may well be that straightforward, since the AI values raw numbers over fewer stronger units, and does not seem to account for promotions. City strength is a factor, but I would guess they are weighed just like a unit.

But getting an estimate of my own power is not really useful unless I know my relative ranking. What I would like to be able to do is to generate the pointy-stick pop-up upon request.

How does the AI factor in things like defensive pacts? Does the AI just combine the power of the 2 allied powers?

I have seen no indication that the AI factors in DP, nor CS allies. Both are pretty significant blind spots.

It may well be that straightforward, since the AI values raw numbers over fewer stronger units, and does not seem to account for promotions. City strength is a factor, but I would guess they are weighed just like a unit.

But getting an estimate of my own power is not really useful unless I know my relative ranking. What I would like to be able to do is to generate the pointy-stick pop-up upon request.

I have seen no indication that the AI factors in DP, nor CS allies. Both are pretty significant blind spots.

It's worded in the Military advisor. I know, it's boring to go over all those messages, that's why I added the same function with similar one-word relative power definitions to Global Relations. GR does not alter any gameplay nor gives information that is not originally available to the player (contrary to IA, in example), so if you don't care about achievements, I would recommend the mod. If you care about achievements, then you will have to rely on the annoying Military advisor.

Notice that the masterpiece Enhanced UI by bc1 does not include the relative power formula. I could not convince bc1 to include it in his mod.

I think they aim Nukes at the citys they find the most threating.
I've found that once when I used my 'nuke up' trick (buy lots of them in one city), Greece that next turn nuked it in a spilt-second... twice. Any other time he just leaves out the mushroom clouds to Gandhi.
So this is a thing to point out. Great idea to settle a 'bait city' nearby the AI, just use a weak atom bomb in it. Those 6 rockets of death will be zipped and gone. Go ahead now... Nuke them before they lay eggs! Wait erm- lay nukes?

Top Bottom