Does this variant exist, and if not, would it work?

Keirador

Deity
It seems to me that the game of Diplomacy sort of centers on Switzerland. That one impassable territory is what defines the dynamics of all who border it, and forms the cornerstone for most stalemate lines. But the thing is, Switzerland isn't really impassable. Sure, it's neutral a lot, but so were a lot of countries, and they got invaded. Sure, it's mountainous, but lots of places are mountainous and still passable. So how would it be if Switzerland, rather than being impassable, was a control center?

And, while I'm throwing stuff out there, I feel like Ireland should be a supply center, maybe a British home center.

The Ruhr should be a supply center, be an interesting dynamic if Britain had Ireland and that produced another start fleet whilst the German had another army.

As for the Switzerland idea, sure it could work, it'd be interesting, not realistic really but it could enlived a jaded dipper.

Why wouldn't it be realistic? Just because Switzerland never actually got invaded doesn't mean the possibility wasn't open. Spain, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and the Netherlands weren't involved in the First World War, yet they get invaded in every single Diplomacy game.

I do agree that Germany should have an extra home center: in the real war it was perfectly capable of fighting a two-front war, it's not in Diplomacy. Is Ruhr the best place for it, though? That basically completely screws France, as it guarantees Germany three supply centers and allows for significant leverage over Burgundy. How well would Prussia work out as an additional home center? Russia would be considerably weakened.
Ireland should definitely be a center.

Switzerland could be accessible from Burgundy, Tyrolia and Munich, but to have movement into and via Marseilles and Piedmont...naah, too mountainous, even Tyrolia is a longshot.

I have seen variant maps with Switzerland and the Ruhr as Supply centres. The Game "Vaseline Machine Gun" on Redscape has such a map.

My only problem is that it creates more border issues in Diplomacy. If France gets Switz, then they would have a border with Austria, and that would change the game considerably (FIRT vs A????). Same with Germany and Italy. (GAFT vs I??? FREI vs G???). Those alliances would never happen in the begining of the game (I am not saying that later it wouldn't happen). Also, would the victory still be 18 centers???

Yet, this would also be pretty cool. A four way grab for Switz -- A F G I duking it out for supremecy! what a game of negotiation it would be then!

I am neutral. I am not going to start a game of this...but I would probably join.

Dreadnought said:
My only problem is that it creates more border issues in Diplomacy.
That's your problem? That's the point. Diplomacy is fun because of border issues. If everyone was safe from everyone else, it would be a pretty crappy game.

Actually if Ruhr and Switzerland were added, then it should be 19 of 36 centres for the solo...

Making Ruhr would give Germany a huge advantage however. A Mun-Swi, A Ruhr-Bel, F Kiel-Den, A Ber-Kiel, they would have a goof shot at four centres more centres the first year...

Well, they can only take 3 more. They have to hold them, right?

Indeed, it'd be more likely to push Britain and France together and maybe make Russia anti-German...oh how much more like WW1.

But Germany would have a fourth unit to start with as well.

Hmm... What do you think of this:
Milan map, except that Marsailles touches Switzerland. Switzerland, Ruhr are added SCs, Ruhr in German control. Adjust it to a 19-center Solo. Could be very interesting.

Gnarfflinger said:
But Germany would have a fourth unit to start with as well.
Ah, I see what you mean now. Well, you could always say there's no starting unit in Ruhr.

So Ruhr would be an extra Neutral centre then...

Yeah, since German ownership would imply the ability to build there, I guess you'd have to say it was neutral, or in rebellion or something.

Or else you just make a rule for the variant that 3 is the max build for any year. ;)

Top Bottom