Doing anything in 3000BC

Heretiv

Warlord
OK, you get to establish a city in 4000BC

You loose 5 turns to build a warrior.. takes you to 3500BC.

Build a second one any you are up to the 2000's.

SO.. how do you do anythign significant so early?

Is it just with say the chinese so you can pop settlers earlier?
Or.. erm.. whoever starts with republic..

Well, for one thing, you should put both of your workers on forests and make two warriors in the first five turns. That move is standard almost regardless of what strategy you are using. The one exception is that some players only make one warrior (three turns) when they are going to horse rush. You can try to research Horse back riding first, but that is risky. With no gold and a size 2 city it will take 10 turns to make the first horse.

You see games of the week and such where people win before 2000bc. Not really sure how that works.

I have you noticed I can remove workers, but not put them on specific blocks with my ipod touch... it simply wont move them.... and also if I tell the city to go for food production that it does not always use the best food placment... giving me 1 food sea square over a 2 food plain/grassland

I have you noticed I can remove workers, but not put them on specific blocks with my ipod touch... it simply wont move them.... and also if I tell the city to go for food production that it does not always use the best food placment... giving me 1 food sea square over a 2 food plain/grassland

Hmm.. On the PS3 version I go into "custom", then click off a square I don't want, then click on one I do want.

Even though you have selected "food", the auto-worker will often select a square which has the highest output. Also, especially in the earlier ages, the auto-worker will always try to have at least one food and one hammer.

Well, for one thing, you should put both of your workers on forests and make two warriors in the first five turns. That move is standard almost regardless of what strategy you are using. The one exception is that some players only make one warrior (three turns) when they are going to horse rush. You can try to research Horse back riding first, but that is risky. With no gold and a size 2 city it will take 10 turns to make the first horse.

You see games of the week and such where people win before 2000bc. Not really sure how that works.

Settler rush. You walk your settler, hit either exploration tiles or a friendly village for 25 gold, then settle 2 tiles from an AI capital and walk in before they get their first unit up. In GotW, on Deity level the AI starts with Bronze Working, Iron Working and a barracks and a great leader, so if you walk in and get Iron Working, you now have two cities which can immediately start producing legions (elite in the case of the captured capital). Get one or two march/infiltration/blitz legion armies and head over to the next city. It generally takes a lot of trial and error to get a really good time, but the free barracks and GL on Deity actually makes it easier than it would be on the "easier" levels.

This works pretty well online too. I start most of my games like this and generally have two capitals by 3000 BC. You might think it's just luck, but there's a real knack to it. I would say I'm getting a really easy cap 90% of the time.

sorry.. so instead of settling your settler you try to find the nearest capital.
then, as long as there is no defence you can take it with your settler?
any then maybe capture a second one after thet?

amazing.. good idea.. will try it.

sorry.. so instead of settling your settler you try to find the nearest capital.
then, as long as there is no defence you can take it with your settler?
any then maybe capture a second one after thet?

amazing.. good idea.. will try it.

You aren't capturing the city with your settler. You settle 2 tiles away and rush a warrior for 20 gold and use that. Settlers can't attack cities. This is why you have to find at least 20 gold while you wander.

You'll probably need an army (warrior or typically horseman) for the second capital, but you have two cities to build it out of instead of one, so you can typically get it up and running pretty quickly.

But yeah, that's about the size of it. This doesn't work so well on difficulty levels past King because the AI production bonus means they will have warriors in time to stop your walk-in. It does work on Deity GotW because instead of a production bonus, the AI gets free techs, a barracks and a great leader (this is not as good as production bonus in the long run, by the way).

The real key here is timing. On King difficulty (the one that's important to me since that's how the AI operates online) most AI civs will get a first warrior in 3500 BC and a second one in 3000 BC. The AI takes their turns after the player, so if you can attack in 3500 BC, you'll win the city. If you aren't there in time, then you want to wait until 3300 BC to approach the city because then that one warrior the AI produced will be two tiles away and can't make it back in time to defend the city.

Some civs like the Aztecs (start with gold), Americans (start with GP), China (start at 3 pop) and Egyptians (Hanging Gardens or Colossus helps) will be more advanced and are more difficult to take like this. However, if you get there late or run into the AI warrior that runs home, you can still typically get the city with a warrior army.

The best way to practice is use the Aztecs because you start with 25 gold. You don't need to find gold on your way. Just find the nearest AI cap and help yourself. You'll find that you can often pick up gold on the way and will no longer need to always use the Aztecs.

Finding a friendly village and a capital in five turns 90% of the time sounds awfully lucky. Actually, it sounds impossibly lucky. I assume that what you are actually doing is scouting the map first, then re-starting the game. Also, the games of the week I have seen, the enemy caps are never defended at less than 7 strength with a dug in, elite archer.

Finding a friendly village and a capital in five turns 90% of the time sounds awfully lucky. Actually, it sounds impossibly lucky. I assume that what you are actually doing is scouting the map first, then re-starting the game. Also, the games of the week I have seen, the enemy caps are never defended at less than 7 strength with a dug in, elite archer.

No, I'm not scouting the map and restarting the game in online multiplayer because it isn't possible. It's not luck. There's a knack to it. I had the same reaction you did when I first came across this tactic, but I figured I should give it a try and it's really improved my game. Remember: settlers move 2 so you have 10 moves (really 9) in 5 turns. It doesn't typically take that many. Just make sure you climb as many hills as possible to get extra sight.

I'm not a big GotW player, but the hardcore guys who post 2900 BC domination wins on Deity are scouting and fine-tuning their approaches by playing the same moves over and over again. All that replaying is boring to me though.

How to do things before 3000 bc with the aztecs:

4000 bc: move your settler next to the barbarian village, and found your cirst city. Send the scout you get for free for settling next to barbarians in the most interesting direction. Use 20 of your 25 gold to rush a warrior and capture the barbarian village.About nine times of ten, you get 30-50 gold when capturing your first barbaraian village. Lets assume you get 30 gold, which leaves you with 35 gold. Set your workers to work on two forests.
3900 BC: Use 12 gc to rush your second warrior, and send it towards the barabarian village your scout hopefully discovered. 23 gold left.
3800 BC: Use 12 gc to rush your third warrior and send it in the most interesting direction. 11 gold left.
3700: If your scout, or first or second warrior have either found a mythic place, or barabarian village to conquer, use 12 gc to rush your third warrior.
3600: Now you have four military units roaming the map, and have a very good chance of finding some kind of income in turn 4. Use 12 gc to rush your fourth warrior. Change your production to only food, and use your five military units to explore the map and harvesting gold.
3500: If you have the gold, and there is parts of the map around you that is undiscovered, rush a fifth warrior. If there is not much map to explore, save your 20 gold and aim to gather the 100 nedded to get a free settler.
3100 bc: Your city grows to size 3 and you have visited 9 (1st warrior) + 9 (the scout) + 8 +7 +6+5 = 44 locations on the map. This is normally enough to gather 100 gold.

When playing other civs, just begin with only producing hammers the first five turns. This gives you the first warrior in 3700 bc, and your second warrior in 3500 bc. The chinese, with the luck of 3 nearby forests, will produce 3 warriors in the first five turns.
If you switch to food production in 3500 bc, your city will grow in 3000 bc, just as if you had not managed your workers. The only difference being that you get your first warrior in 3700 bc instead of 3500 bc, and your second warrior in 3500 bc instead of 3000 bc.
Important to remember is that the barbarian villages normally get their second unit in 3500 bc. If you can get to 1-2 barbarians villages before this happens, it will only take you one turn to defeat the barbarians. And with the extra gold, you can rush more military units, or get quicker to 100 gold...

With the aztecs, i have managed to reach 100 gold in 3700 bc, and have fond memories of having two cities, and ten military units by 3000 bc. (Five warriors, two galleys and three scouts)
The aztecs autoheal is fantastic for fast beating of barbarians, since you do not have to heal your units before moving on towards the next barbarian village. The aztecs is at their finest when you reach a barbarian village with 3 units. When you step next to the barb-village, unit 3 will attack you, your unit will autheal after the defensi victory, and be able to defeat three barabrian units in two turns, while getting upgraded to elite.

Top Bottom