Dont you just wish... they hadn't used a 3d engine?

The gameplay is so better with a 3D landscape and the epic feel of it is much greater.

And once and for all. Making a game 3D does not, I repeat, does not take away resources from the AI. Anyone who says that has no insight whatsoever in the gaming industry and is making a fool out of himself.

3D is pretty and all, but I never zoom in closer than the standard setting, maybe zoomed out a bit come to think of it - cos Civ is a global strategy game!

There are better games out there for close combat & battle junkies.

Still, 1.61 makes the game flawless (at last) for me as I use it, so now the pretty graphics don't make me wonder.

GalCiv is mostly 3D, that's right (the ships, planets, I have it so I should know), but the landscape is not. Yet it still runs much faster and much, much more smoothly that Civ4.

Also, you can always see enemy ships, while I remember a large stack being unseen by me, standing next to my capital, while I was sending troops out for defense.

Willem said:
If they had gone with no 3D, they would actually have had less time to spend on the AI. 3D animations are easier and cheaper to produce than 2D ones. Why do you think that all new games are now being produced in that medium? Even Disney no longer makes 2D animations films, it's just too expensive and time consuming compared to 3D.
Oh, I see... Soren did the 3D-effects by himself? :mischief:

Following your argumentation, it would have taken them weeks to fix the initial ATI-bug if they would have stayed 2D.
Following my argumentation, there wouldn't have been such a bug...

Commander Bello said:
Following your argumentation, it would have taken them weeks to fix the initial ATI-bug if they would have stayed 2D.
That would mean the 2-d graphics wouldn't work your GPU but the CPU instead. So the 2-D graphics would limit the AI since it has to share CPU. That seems to beat the purpose of having a graphic card.
So your right, there wouldn't be a ATI bug if the graphic engine didn't use the GPU which from my understanding 2-d doesn't.

lz14 said:
I don't know if this is related to 2D or 3D:

In civ 3, it takes a longgg time to load between turns, But, after the wait everything will run smoothly.

Civ 4 however, still takes a long time to load a turn, but after the load, it's still seems to be generating things dynamically and everything still lags and is choppy. It's no longer enjoyable to play.

I don't care how long I have to wait between turns, but I'd MUCH prefer after the loading everything runs good. So civ 4 is much worse than civ3 in that regard.
For Civ3, the duration of the turn in between was caused by bad programming. This has been drastically improved with Civ4, as one has to admit.
Nevertheless, Civ4 still has a problem with some kind of memory leak (talking about 1.52, as I am still having an old game to run). This becomes obvious when you are playing at a huge map in the later eras and let the machine run, while you are asleep. Memory usage may go up from ~75% to ~90% over the course of some hours.
Saving and reloading will help, as the memory usage then will be reduced to ~75% again. Additionally, after saving and reloading, the player's turns will run more smoothly.

romelus said:
i don't mind that civ4 uses a 3d engine, it's just that it isn't implemented well. there are lots of opportunities to cut the graphics requirement, such as dynamic texture (GTA) so that when the viewpoint is far from a city the buildings are not rendered at full detail - a waste because you can't see the difference. also civ4 seems to render all units on screen regardless of whether it's necessary. with a stack of 30 tanks it's really only necessary to render the top tank, but civ4 seems to render all 30 tanks
:goodjob: Bingo!

Lars_Domus said:
[...]The technical quality of the graphics is barely at the same level as games from half a decade ago, and on top of that everything looks cartoonish. Most of my "gamer"-friends' reaction to the screenshots from Civ IV-reviews was disapproving laughter, and these are the kind of people they were presumably targetting as potential buyers with the 3D-engine.[...]
Unfortunately, this is just true. Civ4's 3D graphics just s**** in comparison to other games. Even on decent machines, in the later eras of the game wonder movies like to stutter. Units stop their animation half way through or are just sliding like on skates.
And I'd guess, a P4 3.6GHz, FSB 800, 2 GB RAM (533) and a SLI-combo of 2 6600GS (and yes, a completely clean installation of Windows) is quite enough to fulfill the requirements and to exceed even the recommendations.
And the same effects happen at my other machine as well, although there they may be caused by lower specs (2.6 GHz, FSB800, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9600 Sapphire and again a clean windows installation).
Not to mention that on both machines the mouse-overs happen to disappear occasionally. Very nice, if you are just in the diplo screen and want to check about your opponent's composition of diplo values.
ShadowDagger said:
If you complain because it runs slow on your computer then upgrade it. It is that simple. From the perspective of someone who has a highend computer, wouldn't you be pissed if your favorite game reverted to 2D graphics that you could play with your grandparents computer? The fact is that games are making progress.[...]
This is complete nonsense. Although some players indeed have machines lower or just reaching the requirements, a lot have much better systems with no better luck.
And although I don't own exactly a highend computer, I would have preferred to have an engine being able to handle huge maps with all 18 nations, up to the end (and with huge I don't refer to the handkerchiefs which now have been called 'huge').
What you are calling "progress" merely is eye-candy. Not that this would be a bad thing. But it is not the game, which has improved, it is the graphics.
And the term "improvement" may very well be discussed.
Instead, the engine keeps track on values which never have a noticeable effect for the player. It keeps track of rivers flowing from west to east or north to west. It calculates cultural input for each and every tile, obviously to calculate the decay after a city has been destroyed. It calculates individual values for diplomatics, yet the total doesn't mean anything, because it still is random. At least you cannot predict a nations behaviour from those figures. Two nations with a net of +12 in your favour act differently (these +12 are composed from different individual values). The one wouldn't sell a technology, the other wouldn't stop trading with a fourth nation - yet, they would happily start a war! :mad: Come on! This is just plainly complete nonsense.
Seems like the developers had many different things in mind when they started the programming, and finally realized that they wouldn't reach any of their goals. So, they just stopped all those little calculations, cobbled it together the best way they could and forgot to clean up the mess.

T.A JONES said:
...in these Civ3 hate forums...

I hardly consider this a Civ3 hate forum. Civ3 is one of my all time favorite games. I just happen to realize that it has shortcomings, some of which were fixed by CIv4 (and some which were not - as well as new ones).

Good 2D artwork can be very attractive and not impact gameplay negatively (heck, in my last game I argued loudly (to no avail) against 3D). I fully understand why Firaxis decided to go 3D with this game, though. The reasons are largely economic. They are a business that has to make money (that is the point of a business after all).

Hey Warp I cound't resist a curtain call for a chance at finishing our discussions (Ive actually enjoyed them, You're stand up rep for you case at least giving reasonable arguments,Not the fanatic "Civ3 suck Civ4 rules kind of crap . Its aggravating when I come here to see if latest patch was improving things and I see 3 threads all created to maim the predessor's name. "Is anybody still playin Civ3" or "I can't play Civ3 anymore" Warp if you check em out yerself you woudn't have quoted to disagree, there chalked full of serious venom, most have the text book defination of hate:"serious dislike" towards the later version.
On the other hand, this thread is a legit topic. So I can see how you could have missed the others then based you opinion on y "" only on what you read in this one, which is clean in comparison

On the other side...Civ 3 furum has just deleted a thread that had the same idea(put downs) only in Civ3 favour.". The mod said there's to much of these types on the go right now. It was weird how the thread that got deleted was the one that supported the old ideas and called down the latest version ( :hmm:conspiracy?... nah!)

Oh! btw,! Post 76 pg4 this thread. echo's your opininion exactly!:, but in greater detail so Im glad were leaving on the same page on something. Its regarding the Company basis for implimenting the 3d engine, Ok. Well thanks for cutting me some slack on my grammer and uh best be leavin now. It was nice couple of days visiting lots to see and type maybe I'll come back and visit again some day (loud moans) er,...well maybe not.:undecide: Seeya! :D .

slozenger said:
WOW, you have just made my life worth living again! :):):):D :cool: :king: :goodjob: Oh i feel so happy! YEY Baldurs gate lives on! :)

Another thing that might be worth keeping an eye on is GemRB - http://gemrb.sourceforge.net/ - I'll leave the details of that for you to find out yourself. Heh, ive been trying to finish the series again.. took me a year to do it the first time:lol: .

Commander Bello said:
Oh, I see... Soren did the 3D-effects by himself? :mischief:

I really have no clue what point you're trying to put across here. Your logic just doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:

Willem said:
I really have no clue what point you're trying to put across here. Your logic just doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:
You were telling us this:
Willem said:
If they had gone with no 3D, they would actually have had less time to spend on the AI. 3D animations are easier and cheaper to produce than 2D ones. Why do you think that all new games are now being produced in that medium? Even Disney no longer makes 2D animations films, it's just too expensive and time consuming compared to 3D.
As far as I understand it, the guys doing the AI (actually Soren, as has been reported) are different from the ones who are doing the graphics.

In turn this means that any issue with graphics will not interfere with AI and game logic.

Commander Bello said:
As far as I understand it, the guys doing the AI (actually Soren, as has been reported) are different from the ones who are doing the graphics.

In turn this means that any issue with graphics will not interfere with AI and game logic.

As I understand it there are actually two important factors here.
  1. Firstly, the way a business would look at it is in terms of dollars. Even without the natural inclination of any business to follow what is perceived as a successful recent trend, it simply costs more to produce the 2d models. So since the budget for the game is typically a constant any extra money spent on graphics takes money away from another area, which may or may not have been AI development, we will never know. The important point is that doing 3D is going to be less expensive on the bottom line of the project plan.
  2. Secondly, graphics do interfere with the AI and the game logic if they burden the CPU. 3D graphics are less effort for the CPU as they are offloaded to the GPU. This leaves more cycles for the CPU to handle the volumes of data involved in modeling the world in which the game takes place. Civ may graphically look simpler than most FPS and RPG games but the CPU has a *LOT* more number crunching to do and anything that reduces the load on the CPU is a good thing.

Compared to a lot of other games that have come out recently, Civ IV plays on a lot wider range of machines than those do. It runs perfectly fine (no lag, great gameplay) on my regular old 5 year old Athlon 1333, 512 MB RAM, Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128 MB RAM.

Of course, it runs like crap on my Centrino 1500 laptop, but that's because the laptop has a 64 MB shared video that really sucks.

My CPU can't play Oblivion, for example, because it flat out lacks a particular instruction set they used. That really sucks.

Civ 4 is worth upgrading for, I have not said that about many games in the past (X-Wing is the only one I can think of right now). I love the graphics even if I can't play huge maps, I still would have wanted them. In a year when I buy my dual core PC, a whole new world of Civ will open up to me.

slozenger said:
.. they hadn't bowed to shareholder pressure and not made a cIV use 3D engine?

This game would run on so many more computers, and be faster and less glitchy for so many more if they hadnt bothered. It adds nothing to the game and is only there because some wiseguy thought it would sell to more noobs if only it had a 3D engine *sigh*

Civ3 was pretty enough if you ask me.. turn based startegy games have no need of 3D terrain.. what a waste.

just imagine how much closer to perfect the game could have been, even prior to its 3rd patching attempt, if they just used simple graphics?

something to ponder.

you dont even have the game though loz, besides it adds a different aspect to the game, it means you can have better graphics and stuff because you dont have the 200 cities to control that you had in civ3.

Commander Bello said:
This is complete nonsense. Although some players indeed have machines lower or just reaching the requirements, a lot have much better systems with no better luck.
And although I don't own exactly a highend computer, I would have preferred to have an engine being able to handle huge maps with all 18 nations, up to the end (and with huge I don't refer to the handkerchiefs which now have been called 'huge').
What you are calling "progress" merely is eye-candy. Not that this would be a bad thing. But it is not the game, which has improved, it is the graphics.
And the term "improvement" may very well be discussed.
Instead, the engine keeps track on values which never have a noticeable effect for the player. It keeps track of rivers flowing from west to east or north to west. It calculates cultural input for each and every tile, obviously to calculate the decay after a city has been destroyed. It calculates individual values for diplomatics, yet the total doesn't mean anything, because it still is random. At least you cannot predict a nations behaviour from those figures. Two nations with a net of +12 in your favour act differently (these +12 are composed from different individual values). The one wouldn't sell a technology, the other wouldn't stop trading with a fourth nation - yet, they would happily start a war! :mad: Come on! This is just plainly complete nonsense.
Seems like the developers had many different things in mind when they started the programming, and finally realized that they wouldn't reach any of their goals. So, they just stopped all those little calculations, cobbled it together the best way they could and forgot to clean up the mess.
First why don't you try playing the game on a truely highend machine. You stated yourself that you do not have one. My machine can handle huge, 18 civ games on highest settings and resolution, and so can many others. I am willing to bet that most people who have a high end machine don't have a problem either. The thing is that the people who do have a problem will be the most vocal and it will seem like everyone has a problem.

Progress has advanced in many more ways than graphics. Sheer processing power just to name one. With games pushing the limits on processing the hardware companies are forced to create faster processors. This is not just mere eye candy but it is performance which is what you are complaining about.

Because you do not understand how the engine runs, it is not an excuse to claim it is poorly programed.

ShadowDagger said:
The thing is that the people who do have a problem will be the most vocal and it will seem like everyone has a problem.

This is one of the most true statements in this thread. I see this same effect in every forum for every game.

Commander Bello said:
You were telling us this:

Time is also money. If they don't have to spend as much on an artist, that means they'll have more to spend on the person doing the AI.

Fallen Angel Lord said:
It really lags computers in the low end.

Then it's time for people with those low end machines to upgrade. They can't expect game developers to cater to obsolete systems forever.

Top Bottom