Down with the 512 city limit!

I have met the limit in K8 (a succession game) - and that many town mean calculating the trade routes whenever a harbour is built takes ages.....

What and where is the utility that allows you to bypass the 512 city limit?

I hit it in my second game.

I've never reached it. Of course I don't use ICS. My cities are nice and far. The comps cities seem to be optimal also.

I agree. I don't use ICS either, as I find it to be a boring way to play.... ok.... put DOWN the sharp objects!! :eek: :D

Perhaps the "limit" could be used to prevent ICS.... but, if this were actually a rule with logic, shouldn't it be based on map size? Say 2048 for that 362x362, while on a large map 512 could be appropriate....

Then again, I can't IMAGINE how slow the game would be with 2000 cities on it..... my huge map games are slow enough!

-- From The Cellar :smoke:

OK. I give. What is ICS?

If there is an acronym page point me to it.

BTW. 2000 cities wouldn't be that bad on time. My current game has hit the 512 limit and has about 20 colonies and it cycles each turn in about 1.5 minutes.

You may easily hit the 512city limit by playing on a modified huge map (e.g. 250*250 tiles, archipelago, 60% water), with just 10 opponents.
In general it hits you around 1600 AD. At that time, you should know a lot about the world, and large areas are just not settled, since no new towns can be founded.
Neverthelss, the AI still sends out settlers and troops, which you may spot from time to time on their endless journey.
Obviously, the 512city limit is hardcoded somewhere, so there is no chance to lift it upwards (at least not with built-in means).
Quite a silly decision, to have such a limit being fixed in the code. Especially, regarding the fact that computer power explodes from year to year.
At least, I would have expected that one could change it in the editor... but, no way.

512 Cities is just pure insanity, even for a rabid Settler like me!!! I build as many cities as I see fit, then I CONQUER the rest. I have MAYBE 100 cites, 150 cities EXTREME maximum in a game. Any more then that, and I simply loose interest because of sheer amount of Settlers.

Originally posted by RealGoober
512 Cities is just pure insanity, even for a rabid Settler like me!!! I build as many cities as I see fit, then I CONQUER the rest. I have MAYBE 100 cites, 150 cities EXTREME maximum in a game. Any more then that, and I simply loose interest because of sheer amount of Settlers.

The 512 city limit is the limit for the number of cities on the map, not just the ones that you control.

Originally posted by Tsargrad
I think I am heading close to the limit. Still 15 of the 16 Civilizations alive. It's a map of Europe and who knows how many cities are out there. I haven't even seen the meditteranean yet and it is 1700's

Nice, gotta link for the map?

From what I hear the limit is there due to amount of memory and processing needed. This is a problem where doubling the number of cities means much more than doubling the processing and storage needed. (It could even be an O(n*n) type of problem).

Originally posted by warpstorm
From what I hear the limit is there due to amount of memory and processing needed. This is a problem where doubling the number of cities means much more than doubling the processing and storage needed. (It could even be an O(n*n) type of problem).

From what I hear some functions like trade calculations and similar stuff are so extremely inefficient that upping the limit to 1024 would be no problem if trade calc was made more efficient.

Originally posted by warpstorm

If those statements were correct it would just state that the engine wasn't designed for huge maps. And, to be honest, I think Civ wasn't even designed for the current huge map.
Both could be solved, but for sure not for Civ3. We'll have to wait for Civ4 at the best.

Anyway, since modern system offer quite some memory and incredible speed, at least an option in the editor would be nice. Maybe, combined with a warning. Then it would be up to the player to decide whether his machine fits to the requirements or not.

The standard size map is what the game was designed for. Firaxis only put in the huge (and huger than huge) after people complained about it late in the development.

You can see evidence that the game was originally for the standard game all over the place. The diplomacy screen, for example, only supports the number of players on a standard map.

From everything I have seen here I think the limit is set so mainstream and low end machines don't have problems at the max. Aeldrik said back in the thread that there is a patch but. I haven't seen a reply as to where to get it or if it has been updated for C3C. I personally am very patient and would gladly wait longer for the AI if I could have more cities.

Originally posted by aeldrik
here is the patch if I'm not wrong, but there still is no Conquest version... at least for PTW it will help.. let's hope firaxis learns from their past mistakes, even though up to now it doesn't look like they are...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=57158&goto=newpost

Just have read the thread... sounds more than just nice. Really a pity that he doesn't like C3C :cry:

Anyway, the pure presence of this little program states already, that there is no divine order not to have more than 512 cities on a certain map.
Seems to me, that it even doesn't eat up too much memory or cpu speed to have more.

Well, doesn't help. There seem to be some guys at Firaxis who don't tend to listen to the players too much (and I'm not referring to Tavis here in any way).
Let's hope that they will have some long meetings during the development process of Civ4.

Now I wanna see the corruption if you own 300 of 512 cities all over a 240x240 map... urks.

Originally posted by Longasc
Now I wanna see the corruption if you own 300 of 512 cities all over a 240x240 map... urks.

Just another evidence that Civ3 was never designed to be a "big" game.
Although there are really great ideas in the game (ressources, UU's, some of the wonders, ect...) the engine seems to have been designed on a very late evening in a bar, just using pencil and paper.
This is shown with the use of very low integer values each and everywhere. They never gave big numbers a thought, obviously.

In principle, this seems to be the basic reason for the corruption issues as well. I'm pretty sure, that corruption is much less an issue, if you play on a small map with everyone (pre-war) having just a maximum of 10 cities.

Top Bottom