Download, installation instructions & troubleshooting

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
General Instructions

- The mod use a custom DLL, it's not Mac compatible. The last version without DLL is R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 31) beta4.

- Finish your current game before updating, savegame compatibility is not assured.

- All other mods will be automatically deactivated to prevent potential incompatibilities. A few mods are marked as authorized (see end of post).

- Because of it's size, the mod is split in two parts. Both part are needed and can't be used separately

- The small part, R.E.D. WWII Edition is the core mod, it contains the code and defines for the new game rules, and is frequently updated.

- The bigger part, R.E.D. Data Files contains all the sound and graphic files used by the core mod, and is less often updated.

- The simpler way to download and install the files is using the Steam Workshop (see post #2), but a direct download version is also provided (see post #3).

- The mod copy a few files in the DLC folder of Civilization 5, to prevent crash when disabling the DLC and fix some visual effects. To uninstall, or if you downgrade to a previous version, delete the RED_WWII folder in "..Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC"

- Optional add-on R.E.D. Xtreme for WWII Edition with smaller scale and more models per units. Must be installed after R.E.D. WWII Edition for the formation to be shown correctly.

General Troubleshooting

Before reporting a problem during installation, please try the following :
  • Delete the content of your game cache folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache\)
  • Make sure you don't have multiple version of R.E.D. WWII Edition and R.E.D. WWII DataFiles in your mod folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS), multiple versions installed may cause bugs, even when only one is activated. Just keep the most recent version of both part.

Authorized Mods

Those mods can be used with R.E.D. WWII :

Other mods incompatibilities

The mods below can't be detected and deactivated automatically but will cause serious issues when used with R.E.D. WWII

• LuaJIT for Civilization V : incompatible with save utils, which breaks almost all features.
  • Enhanced User Interface : a lot of files need to be merged, feel free to try, remember to use the vanilla files from EUI, and not G&K or BNW.

Credits

see the full credits list.

Do not ask for help here when using the workshop's version, but contact Steam's support if the instructions below have not fixed your problem.

Steam Workshop Installation

1- Subscribe to both mandatory mods ("R.E.D. WWII Edition" and "R.E.D. WWII Data File") in the R.E.D. WWII collection.

2- Launch Civilization 5

3- Go in the Mods menu, wait a few seconds for the initialization, then wait until both part have been downloaded and extracted, this can take a few minutes (mod size is ~100MB)

4- Activate both part of the mod.

5- From the Mods menu, click Next. Wait for the mod initialization...

6- The first time you're using the mod, click Single Player then Custom Game and select "R.E.D. WWII edition" in the list then click Load Mod. (after your first game with the mod this step will be automated next time you launch the mod)

7- All other mods and DLC will be deactivated if they haven't been already (except those in the authorized list and the Mongol DLC), the Mod will reinitialize to the main menu to deactivate them. In that case go to the mod section and directly click Next and do step 9 again (after your first game with the mod this step will also be automated)

8- Select a scenario or load a game

Steam Workshop Troubleshooting

If the mod is not downloaded automatically even after unsubscribing/restarting the game, here's detailled instructions to reset the download and try again.

- first, check your game files integrity, instruction to do so are here :
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

- second try to "reset" the download:
Unsubscribe to the mod
Close steam (not just the windows, the compete program, in doubt restart your computer)
Delete all the content of the civ5 cache folder ("\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache")
Go into your civ5 mods folder ("\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS") and delete any file or folder named "R.E.D. WWII Edition" or "R.E.D. WWII Data File" depending of which one has failed to download/extract/update.
Launch steam then civ5 and subscribe again from ingame.

- third, the last chance:
If there is a file with the extension .civ5mod in the mods folder, you can manually extract it there using 7zip or winrar (it's a renammed 7zip archive)
Sometime the file is not copied from the Steam temporary folder (usually a subfolder of C:\program files (x86)\Steam\), you can do a search for it in steam folder (including subfolders), and copy/extract the .civ5mod file to the mods folder

Once extracted, the .civ5mod file must be removed from the Mods folder.

If all this have failed, please contact steam support, at this point I can't help you anymore.

Direct Download Installation

Here's the mod link in CFC database.

1- update your version of Civilization to at least patch 1.0.3.279

2- delete all previous version of the core mod from the mod folder. Unless updated, the data mod don't need to be deleted/reinstalled.

3- Make sure you have the latest version of the R.E.D. WWII Data Files (current is v.5, size ~96 MB) from mediafire.

4- download the R.E.D. WWII Edition core mod file.

5- copy the two .civ5mod files in your MODS folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS).

6- launch game, go to the Mods section, extraction should start automatically after a few seconds, and can take a few minutes (if not, you can use 7zip to extract the mods manually, then remove the .civ5mod files from the Mods folder).

7- Activate both part of the mod.

8- From the Mods menu, click Next. Wait for the mod initialization...

9- The first time you're using the mod, click Single Player then Custom Game and select "R.E.D. WWII edition" in the list then click Load Mod. (after your first game with the mod this step will be automated next time you launch the mod)

10- All other mods and DLC will be deactivated if they haven't been already (except those in the authorized list and the Mongol DLC), the Mod will reinitialize to the main menu to deactivate them. In that case go to the mod section and directly click Next and do step 9 again (after your first game with the mod this step will also be automated)

11- Select a scenario or load a game

Archived files

Below you'll found links to previous versions of the mod, in case you've updated just to find out the new version is not save compatible, or if you encounter a game-breaking bug in it...

Main mod
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.40
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.39 <- Data Files v.5 is required starting with this version
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.38
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.37.b <- update for patch 1.0.3.18 and BNW
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.37
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.36
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.35
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.34
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.33
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.32
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.31
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.31 beta 4 <- last version Mac compatible (you must disable BNW and G&K in the DLC menu)
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.30
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.27 ,v.28, v.29
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.27<- last version with combat events still working without the DLL if you have a Civ5 version dating from before patch .674
R.E.D. WWII Edition v.22, v.23, v.24, v.25, v.26

Data Files
R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v.5).civ5mod
R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v.4).civ5mod <- data files for all version before v.39

So, I saw that there was an update. So I clicked the "Update" button. The mod vanishes, and I cannot redownload it. What is wrong?

i started up the 1942 scenario using hitler and i was in the information screen with the whole speech and stuff and it froze, I heard a little bit of the beginning of the german speech and then it froze and got program unresposive. Any help?

the giant earth map of the 1942 scenario require a lot of computer resource, try the Stalingrad or 1939-1945 scenario first.

When you download it directly from CFC, how do you copy it? Right clicking does not work.

how do you copy a file usually on your PC ?

before using the manual version I've you tried to clear your cache ? it's easier.

how do you copy a file usually on your PC ?

before using the manual version I've you tried to clear your cache ? it's easier.

I did it once, with regrogen's mod. Forgot how to :confused:

I got it, thanks.

After downloading, right click on the file to copy, chose "copy", go in the mods folder ("..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS"), right click on a blank area in the folder windows, click "paste".

When I try to use the Faster Aircraft Animations mod, it gives me the mod selection error.

Edit: Cleared my cache and it works now :D

Hey Gedemon,

Just downloaded the mod and it seems that its not working properly?
I enabled the mod (both parts) but when i goto scenario to play. none of the scenarios show up.

Figured it out *facepalm*

Ok, maybe dumb question. I started a new game, after I downloaded Gods and Kings. Now when i go to load the save game, i get an error message that Civ V has stopped working. the only way to get out of the game is ctrl+alt+delete and stop with the task manager. I am guessing I need to start a new game, but I was wondering what had happened...if you could guess. Thanks.

Ok, maybe dumb question. I started a new game, after I downloaded Gods and Kings. Now when i go to load the save game, i get an error message that Civ V has stopped working. the only way to get out of the game is ctrl+alt+delete and stop with the task manager. I am guessing I need to start a new game, but I was wondering what had happened...if you could guess. Thanks.

save game made before G&K don't work once you've patched civilization. It's a general civilization problem, not mod related.

But note that new versions of this mod are also generally not compatible with previous save, always finish your games before updating.

Awesome Mod, I have cross posted a similar question on steam.

My difficulty is on city builds using the 1942 scenario (I'm playing Japan)- seems to affect all players though.
The problem is city build selections seems spotty with most items missing and the conditionality/precedence gets screwed up.
There seems no rhyme or reason to it. I can build a land factory but then can't build units.
Sometimes the units can be built without the necessary required building in place.
Almost all basic buildings like banks, harbours etc are missing from the selection list.

Seems totally wierd and random. I though maybe some the files were corrupt but steam verifies them as 100%.
I have followed all the suggestions you have made with no success.
I have more than enough enough computer resources I7 quad with hyperthread, 3.7GHz 32GRam, SSD win7 Pro SP1.

Any further suggestions?
Thanks in advance for all your effort so far.

answered on steam :)

Although I have the three mod parts activated, without any other mod on, when I click play, it says I cannot play because the other 2 mod parts. :\

which version of each mod ?

Top Bottom