Dr kossin #21 (Deity)

You might want to figure out a place for a decent 6th city. Your current cities are all good sites so you should be fine so long as Boudi doesn't come after you early.

Pottery before Bronze Working may have worked for some maps. But it seems that this map was a crowded one, so rushing out the settlers was crucial.

Getting Bronze Working before The Wheel was also an option.
Yes, so it seems. I thought Boudi and Lincoln being 20ish tiles away meant I had some time but it seems they were on the short end of peninsulas.

looking at turn 1 picture (reviewed BFC), I would go AH-Mining-BW-(Archery)-Wheel-Ag-Pottery. This tech path prob allows the fastest REX speed. Archery could be even postponed given enough Agg warriors.

All your river hills had trees on them, also being spiritual, BW should not be delayed.
This looks like the best research path indeed. Archery was a safety gamble for certain and it probably wasn't a good one, even though copper isn't easy to get on this map.

On the diplo side, it's pretty clear that you need to adopt hinduism. Boudica is your main threat and Willem doesn't favour religion much and will go FR as soon as he can. You could even try trading him aesthetics so he builds shwedagon paya...(this could backfire)
Funny thing is the religion you want never seems to spread. WvO doesn't care too much about religion so running a different one than him isn't so bad. Aesthetics will be my trading chip for certain so he'll get his shot at it.

I don't think you need to worry about Boudica too much so long as she continues to hate Willem. AI Boudica in my experience doesn't really care that much about religion. Toss her a favorable trade later on, maybe bribe her to attack WvO and that'll maybe kill two birds with one stone.

Not too experienced with Lincoln, guessing he's very much a builder like Pacal?
Willem doesn't border her so unless she goes to annoyed at him, I think I'm a likelier target.

I love the fact that you call a city with 2 furs, silver, fish and copper decent. I think it is a very good city, especially because it raises the happy cap with 2. Good start Kossin.
As pointed out, it is food limited early on but it certainly is better than nothing and what I have left for a 6th city.

It's decent, but not great for the position he's in. It needs a Monument (45 hammers, or a growth/slave pop), 15 turns for culture (less if it gets a religion randomly spread to it), a fishing boat to work the fish, and possibly even a lighthouse down the road (5 food to 6).

The copper tiles does provide one food, but the silver and fur tiles are actually food negative, so at best it's a meagre commerce city with ok production, but it'll never grow past size 6 (quick guess?) until post-biology.

It's also nowhere near fresh water so none of the tiles are farmable until maybe civil service drags in some food.

To sum it up: There's a massive time/hammer investment to get this city up and running.
It'll work mostly coast tiles and the copper for starters. With Montezuma, you want to whip a lot so a big size isn't that important.

^ There are forests to chop to accelerate things. Presumably other than the resource tiles, you will be working sea tiles. You can chop out your monument, wb, and part of your lighthouse.
Yes... those forests are definitely not staying there until RP to get silly Lumbermills.

You might want to figure out a place for a decent 6th city. Your current cities are all good sites so you should be fine so long as Boudi doesn't come after you early.
Having a 6th city will be very important, I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately in my current position and available spots, it's not so important right now and can wait some turns.

~~~

I got pretty sick yesterday so I couldn't post the next round. I'll do that now and also try to get the third in.

Round 2

First off, I cancelled one of the settler builds. I didn't need him right away (no spot that I knew of) and he'd cost maintenance.

I assigned some workers to get a network going with Boudica.
Spoiler :

You can clearly see Iron on that mined grassland. Not that it matters much though - GWs can be built with Copper.
What you can't see is the Settler under the Archer on top of the Iron. She's gonna settle right in my face!

This is the barren north... I see no option for a 6th city here.
Spoiler :

You can now see where Boudi settled.
Spoiler :

I'm kinda glad I settled Tlatelolco where I did now, she could have settled 1N further cutting me in half.

Lincoln is an Economic leader. This is the second time I encounter him in a game (twice in a row actually) and he seems to like building shinies. Anyway, he's first to Alphabet.
Spoiler :

As I mentioned in my last post in the thread, Hinduism did not want to spread to me. However, it was not all bad...
Spoiler :

Judaism spread like the PLAGUE. Do you see it? I mean, do you see it? It's in the spoiler...
Spoiler :
Lincoln is now an Hindu! Talk about a death wish.

In 775BC, hands get busy.
Spoiler :

I'm hoping this is her target:

It should count for something, right?

This gets me distracted a bit. I build some troops for possible defense and neglect sending them past Willem, where there are some very nice barb cities... clearly a bad choice. More on that later.

I finish Aesthetics the next turn and put the overflow research into Alphabet for 1 turn. This allows me to start trading.

I take the most expensive tech from Lincoln first. If it's not too unbalanced (doesn't favor the AI), you don't get the worst enemy penalty.
Spoiler :

I also take Iron Working from Willem. I don't need to clear jungle and Jaguars are resourceless but should I be devoid of Iron, I need to settle a source sooner than later for later on.
Spoiler :

I'm lucky and have Iron in my culture.

A couple of turns later, Boudica makes one of the easiest requests I can remember:
Spoiler :

Sure, take it my friend!

At this point it's pretty clear I'm safe from her... I should have taken some units and go barb hunting. Shoot me but I didn't think of it :(

I finally get my first Great Person who makes an Academy in my capital.
Spoiler :

5 turns later, my suspicions are confirmed.
Spoiler :
It's war!

Tech situation - Currency is almost in.
Spoiler :

I don't need this deal, but Diplo wise, it should help befriending Boudica.
Spoiler :

Diplo is in the hornet's nest right now. I'm not the target so I can breathe for the moment.
Spoiler :

The land beyond Willem... why didn't I head over there :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:
Spoiler :
Maintenance would be a killer yes but I could have gotten a bunch more cities!

Still no Hinduism has spread to me... bummer.

Better do something about that land east of Willem or he's going to grow really big (and become a pain to dislodge later). He can become problematic since he'll also declare at pleased, although he's no troop spammer.

Yes that would have been the best thing to do. Looking back, I can't believe how I missed it. I guess I lost focus and stared at the small picture rather than the large picture. I'm working on round 3 which will be longer, as a matter of fact, up to Liberalism. It'll still be behind the point I'm at in the game right now but it'll be much closer. That's what happens when you get in one-more-turn mode :D

That is clearly my biggest mistake in the game up to this point. The other big one, in my opinion, was delaying BW which cost me a few close-by cities (at least 1).

Play and learn I guess.

Man, look at that barb Zhou city, and all that beautiful jungle waiting to be workshopped or cottaged....

Dislodging WvO is a huge pain with his Creative trait, how're you going to pull that one off?

Round 3

This update will bring us to daily parity (one a day). It'll be longer and skip over a lot of time since I didn't do much (while I should have been busy doing something).

Upon completing Currency, I am first there and decide to keep it as a monopoly for some turns. Boudica has a lot of spare gold however so I trade her Aesthetics for some of it.
Spoiler :

Nobody wants to trade Mathematics right now so I head to Code of Laws hoping it'll become available in the meantime. And what do you know... I'm actually first there!
Spoiler :

Sacrificial Altars are queued up everywhere and there is much happiness, kind of :whipped:.

Mathematics still isn't available... Meditation->Priesthood->trade for Monarchy
Spoiler :

And then Mathematics STILL isn't available... so I research it myself and start on Civil Service.
Boudica and Lincoln make peace in 150BC... both lost a ton of units but nothing else changed really. Hinduism doesn't spread either so I stay in Paganism+NSR.

Lincoln founds Taoism in 100BC. Not to be outdone, Willem gets Islam at 75BC. On the home front, Boudica becomes Pleased with me around this time.

I finish Civil Service in 25AD and of course immediately revolt to Bureaucracy and Caste System to farm a Great Scientist.
Spoiler :

I cash out on S. Paya in 125AD.
Spoiler :

The tech situation at this time is somewhat encouraging. Of course, if the AI actually focused their research and traded adequately, I'd be in the dust far behind.
Spoiler :

I plant my 6th city on the very next turn. It's a bad spot but by now it's way too late to do anything about Willem's back land and the pig tile can be swapped in between the 3 cities. I send some workers to chop the granary and it grows pretty fast.
Spoiler :

The Great Scientist is just in time to bulb almost all that's left of Education.
Spoiler :

I start on Liberalism next and start backfilling with techs that are already out.
First, with Philosophy.
Spoiler :

I beg the gold back on the very same turn.

I wait as long as I can (until someone has it) and do the same with Civil Service.
Spoiler :

In 560AD Willem completes the Apolisitc Palace (Judaism) which means temples/monasteries everywhere. Moreover, Boudica goes into war-mode. Since I am Pleased with her (never left it), I take this opportunity to crank out another Great Scientist:
Spoiler :

I revolt back out upon getting the next GS.

Paper gets traded next.
Spoiler :

By this point I put my money on science to get a tech lead. This is definitely not the safest route on this map but it might just work...

Therefore, Universities become a priority and are whipped in the lagging cities ASAP, which allows me to start Oxford University in 800AD, due in 8 turns.
Spoiler :

After Universities are done, the next priority is to start getting units from somewhere... Theatres are queued up and cities allowed to grow as much as possible.

The research path after Education is Philosophy->(trades above)->Printing Press->Gunpowder->Nationalism(trade)->Chemistry (1 bulb).
Spoiler :

I actually started Chemistry but when I saw Boudi willing to trade Nationalism, I spent some research on it.
Spoiler :

All this time, I have a monopoly on Education and seeing as almost all religions were founded on this landmass, odds are the other AIs out there aren't pursuing Liberalism actively. Therefore I finish Chemistry manually and then I queue Liberalism which has just 1 turn left to finish...

I leave you with the save 1 turn from Liberalism.

Techs
Spoiler :

Diplomacy - wouldn't want to be Lincoln
Spoiler :

Willem is pretty huge now... 15 cities. It's mostly my fault for doing nothing about it though.

So, is it gonna work?
(Here's the answer anyway)
Spoiler :

Willem at 16 cities!

Next segment is coming tomorrow and should bring the game up to where I'm currently at (unless I play some more).

Muskets and cannons to blow away WvO? Join Boudica for extra diplo against Lincoln and take all of Lincoln's land?

Sounds like the other continent has the Mongols/Zulus etc. on them that's doing some heavy warring. If the other continent was peaceful and shared religions I think you'd be in trouble. :V

I would have grabbed that 2x Fur+Silver+copper spot. Those resources are great trade chips. It can work the silver to pay for itself for a while too.

I would suggest to take on WvO first before he gets too big.

Yes, Willem is the intended target. Lincoln is keeping Boudica busy and his land isn't that great although he has some nice wonders set up. OTOH, Willem's land is fantastic and he has a lot of wonder, a LOT.

I considered the resource city but without food it would have been a pain getting anything out of it =\

The war with Willem is under way in the next segment and things are going pretty well so far. More on that tomorrow...

I thought it was the absolute beaker value of the trade that contributes to worst enemy penalty instead of how unbalanced it is. But I could be wrong.

Lincoln, Boudica, and Willem each got different religions in my game. They each had a different civ than me as a worst enemy

And I got dogpiled...AFTER being targeted first by willem rather than 2nd, he vassals lincoln, declares on me (@ pleased of course), and drags boudica, who hates lincoln more, in on his side. Game over since I couldn't even keep up with willem. 12 or so elephants, about 8 trebs, and an assortment of maces/xbows/whatever in the mid 100's AD, all while pushing really far ahead of me in tech (though I did manage to win lib and get 6 cities before I died).

Lincoln, Boudica, and Willem each got different religions in my game. They each had a different civ than me as a worst enemy

And I got dogpiled...AFTER being targeted first by willem rather than 2nd, he vassals lincoln, declares on me (@ pleased of course), and drags boudica, who hates lincoln more, in on his side. Game over since I couldn't even keep up with willem. 12 or so elephants, about 8 trebs, and an assortment of maces/xbows/whatever in the mid 100's AD, all while pushing really far ahead of me in tech (though I did manage to win lib and get 6 cities before I died).

Very bad luck...

About the resource grabber, 1 copper + 2 fur + silver can get you up to 5 happy/health resources from the AIs or up to 80 gpt (copper counts as 2 res). even if you just leave this city at size 1 and working silver, it pays for itself.

you can actually farm the river tundra to make it grow slowly too.

Good luck with your trials at deity. I have not played any of the recent games for a while. I just feel too bored with this game at this point, and I feel too let-down by Firaxis.

Soon I"m going to retire from here for good, but I'll still peek in around once in a while for a bit.

Ugh... bad luck =\

About the resource grabber, 1 copper + 2 fur + silver can get you up to 5 happy/health resources from the AIs or up to 80 gpt (copper counts as 2 res). even if you just leave this city at size 1 and working silver, it pays for itself.

you can actually farm the river tundra to make it grow slowly too.
Hmm that makes sense. I still like my 6th city for getting the Theatre and University though, so it would have made a good 7th city.

Good luck with your trials at deity. I have not played any of the recent games for a while. I just feel too bored with this game at this point, and I feel too let-down by Firaxis.

Soon I"m going to retire from here for good, but I'll still peek in around once in a while for a bit.
Thanks. Shame to see a top-tier player hang it up... was hoping to see your Ramesses of Deity game complete in the Story subforum... Have you tried some of the mods that tried improving on the AI coding?

I played some more and will start on an update after dinner.

Sneak preview...

Spoiler :

The war with Willem is pretty much over. One of the spoils of war:

Round 4

As I said yesterday, the logical war target here is Willem - can't let him grow out of proportion any more than he already is.

Starting from last round, I finished Liberalism and got Steel as a freebie.
Spoiler :

I turn off research awaiting for Oxford now that I can afford it. Back at 100% research when it completes.

The next tech of choice is Rifling. I have to backfill Feudalism->Guilds->Banking then start on RP->Rifling.
Spoiler :

1020AD Failure gold on Sankore to help me reach Rifling. Pretty much all cities are on *Canon at this point. I do build some Muskets/Pikes (Willem has Cuirassiers.)
Spoiler :

1140AD Rifling is in -> Draft/mass whip. Gotta love being Aztec.

I was met by the other AIs throughout the round: Ragnar, Sitting Bull and Darius. Darius is normally a threat for Liberalism but it looks like Ragnar went Medieval on his research. SB was on an island by himself.

1160AD Trade Liberalism to Boudi for Economics
Spoiler :

1180AD Boudi DoWs Lincoln

In 1210 AD, I deem my forces sufficient (been scouting Willem with my STARTING scout...). He doesn't have a SoD and is pretty stretched thin on military since he pretty much just finished expanding.
Spoiler :

My Draft City which produced about half of my Riflemen. I settled a GG here later on to get a second promo on rifles (love Aggressive draftees). It has a lot more accumulated anger by now. I had to step out of Nationalism for 5 turns to let it grow back at one point.
Spoiler :

1230AD I reach Rotterdam which is garrisoned "weakly".
Spoiler :

The end result is pretty obvious though with the tech advantage I have...
Spoiler :

At this point, I keep the main stack together and send some minor reinforcements to it. All the new units form a secondary (and at one point a small third) stack to make the war faster.

I won't post screenshots of every siege. They all pretty much look like Rotterdam to be honest.

1280AD I capture Leiden and The Hague

1340AD Amsterdam is captured. It's quite a prize.
Spoiler :

1350AD -Trade Astronomy with SB - intercontinental trade routes were big here and helped a lot - and bribe him into Free Market.
Spoiler :

1370AD - Utrecht: Jewish shrine is nice.
Spoiler :

1380AD A look at the Boudi-Lincoln war. I consider bribing Boudica out but it'll cost an arm and she'll go back at him before I can finish Willem.
Spoiler :

I capture Maastricht and Nimjegen this turn.

1390AD Ragnar comes begging and I agree... I don't want an overseas fight... just yet.
Spoiler :

1410AD We're not doing too bad on power against these Deity AIs!... Rifling sure is helping out though.
Spoiler :

Haarlem, Delft and Dorestad are captured this turn (3rd stack used).

1430AD I raze Groningen - it doesn't have a food resource, doesn't work unused tiles - basically useless.

In 1450AD, I join a bogus war against Lincoln for some diplo points. I capture Alemanni on the same turn.
Spoiler :

1460AD Zhou (the great barb city) is captured. Also Lincoln capitulates to Boudica.

1480AD 's-Hertogenbosch falls

1490AD Middelburg falls

1505 Deventer falls

1515AD Well, that should keep them busy... SB DoWs Ragnar!
Spoiler :

By 1520AD, Willem has 0 cities left (Kamper is captured this turn) on the mainland and is willing to Capitulate. This isn't a very good option Diplo-wise but it could gain me quite a few techs. He isn't willing to part with Assembly Line to save his behind unfortunately. Maybe a few more turns of research will change his mind.
Spoiler :

Total cost of the war: 11 canons, 3 riflemen.

My new land:
Spoiler :

Techs - I'm not too backwards despite the long war.
Spoiler :

I love the fact that everyone ignored Rifling up to this point. I mean, c'mon!

Diplomacy
Spoiler :

Current troops
Spoiler :
I could probably profit by taking the fight to Boudica...

So what made this war successful? Willem's stupidity to research all the way to Assembly Line without even bothering to research Rifling gets my vote. Even then, I would have lost more units but I was outproducing him with my 6 cities and I could have whipped a lot more than I did!

Boudica went in war mode recently (after I gifted her 1000 gold to get her to Pleased).
I can backstab her and gain control of my continent or I can start thinking of another Victory Condition than the militaristic approach ones.

This updates is up to where I've played the game. I'll have to get busy playing again tomorrow before posting updates so rounds might (or not) be shorter somewhat. Late eras with 20+ cities takes so long...

Nicely played. Unless the 10 turns of forced peace are in place, I suspect that Boudica is preparing to finish off honest Abe. Willem really gave you some excellent land.

Top Bottom