1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr kossin #30

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by kossin, Mar 25, 2010.

1. raxid

raxid Warlord

Well I failed, posted the wrong screenshot and since I couldn't figure out how to change screenshots that are attachments I've now double posted. sorry.

edit: whats worse, they ended up on different pages...

Attached Files:

2. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

on the wine w/ AH 1st.

3. raxid

raxid Warlord

Not worried about losing the food from the multiple lake + lighthouse?

4. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

I didn't know you could tell those were lake tiles and didn't read anything before making my start :)

5. Wreck

Wreck Prince

If you mouse over tiles adjacent, you will see they have Fresh Water.

6. Soirana

Soirana Emperor

Matter of taste. I did draw that desert peninsula over water [you believe that would be easier?] as a bit more fiddling [island for Egypt and removing vast amount of tundra, probably river for Willem too don't recall - but my river drawing is bad enough to fit description]. Other than that i just moved arround AI and even left Louis there he started.

There is few healthy tricks how to figure island via scouting [like color difference in ocean tiles].

C'mmon you know me - who believes i just generated start and posted it? If you do i will send you free candy.

I also played from the save so i could knew this one is reasonable. Not worse than most of random starts in my opinion.

Well, more randomness and less prechecks the better i guess anyway.

7. kossin

kossin Deity

Bad news: I have to leave town until Monday for personal reasons.

As a result the first round will be on Monday.

Sorry for any inconveniences caused :)

8. bobbyboy29

bobbyboy29 I was saying boo-urns...

That's ok we're all used to the Dr. holding us up, making us wait for our appointment even though the time was specified... Does anyone have any old, outdated magazines for the Dr Kossin waiting room?

9. BornSlippy

BornSlippy Warlord

I think we just found a new name for the Bullpen: The Waiting Room

10. Fleme

Fleme Obey the Kitty!

Bottom line is that the map was so obviously hand made that it went overboard. Boated clams for a deity AI as a birthday gift? a 40 tile desert that is exclusively just flat desert with nothing going for it in terms of production/commerce/food? Requiring him to settle on a tip that has no resources whatsoever on said desert in hopes of locating an island where there's atleast some habitable terrain, where the spot of this hopeful "search city" is one that most players wouldn't even look twice at?

In short; It's more fun to see him (or anyone for that matter) play on maps that the generator threw at him rather than have some asinine creations such as the desert/jungle/AI boosts in the map you provided.

/rant

That said, I'm looking forward to the actual installment of this game and will be once again following with interest.

11. Soirana

Soirana Emperor

not recomended for unspoily persons

Spoiler :

either i missed something or in this game cap and double gold city block place for 10-15 well spaced resourced cities.

Essentialy game was won by map generator. If you see it as fun, well than we clearly have very different definitions of fun.

I'd rather play from mine save, but that's me.

12. Norvin_Green

Norvin_Green Emperor

Thanks for the explanations!

13. javidbing

javidbing Warlord

I'm usually a prince/monarch player but thought I'd give it a go because I was bored!!

Any tips (I'm sure I've done quite a few things wrong as this is my first deity attempt) would be awesome.

Played to 125BC.

Spoiler :

Pros:
    - Managed to get Aesthetics/Alphabet for trade with vikings
    - Diplo situation very strong
    - Same religion as neighbours
    - GS pop/Academy in Paris
    - I'm still alive!!

Cons:
    - Poor Economy
    - Far behind on techs (Apostolic Palace built by either viking/maya)
    - Very small (finding it hard to expand)

Tech trade screen

Trade with Ragnar

Diplo Screen

Overview

Spoiler :

I actually played even further and the next turn Maya felt sorry for my pitiful tech advancement and gifted me Meditation :p

PLAN FROM HERE

- Get techs that I can trade to try and catch up
    - Try and expand (plenty of free room to north/northwest)
    - After I've consolidated an area I feel happy with, try and build army to take on Ragnar

14. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

javi - twice in my last 5 deity games I have been gifted alphabet by Mansa Musa. Some AIs just like feeling sorry for you. If they gift, you could also have begged it from them. At pleased you should always try to beg small techs. And someone posted that you can beg again 50 turns later.

I think you should read Kossin's account of the game, and I'll post mine likely when he is done. I would not bother finishing your game, I'd work on your starts and compare with other deity forum starts until you are solid. And install the BUG mod in custom assets - it will help your game a lot and make it easier to look at your screens on the forum.

15. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

@kossin, you'd better off regenerate the map...
    Spoiler :

Played the map till i had 15+ cities. Blocked Ragnar for cow/marble/copper site (north/east) and plow one more later for crab/fish (a bit north) in his face; Pacal founded hindu+jewish and lucky ragnar spread was jewish.... The only problem on the map are barb. but since i settled over the wine, and had horses, it's game over. Joao had a lot of land but nothing to be afraid w/ such amount of good land and multiple gold/gems.

Quite boring after the 1st settlement, barb cities make good economy boost too. The entire vast north west is for the player which is horrifying badly generated, I feel there should be at least one more civ there.

16. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

That's not exactly true.
    Begging 50 turns w/ half of their power will yeild you close to nothing.

It has been discussed but begging it's turn based and then power based (linear to power ratio).
    Getting gifts is not exactly like begging at all.

17. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

THATS why sometimes it doesn't work :) Though the typical game the player just has a bunch of warriors until he gets close to cannons or something.

How about regenerate and open a separate thread in case anyone wants to discuss this map? There is some merit to comparing how well you do versus others on the forum irregardless of the difficulty level of the map.

Spoiler :

I laid down the same blocking cities as you, but filling the rest of the land is mildly interesting as city placement and order can make a big difference. And of course you don't have to go peaceful - if you went domination perhaps I finished a lot earlier :)

18. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

if you mean why begging doesn't work:
    because the AI has not forgotten the previous begging, or if you are way too greedy[less likely] (how greedy you can get is perfectly determinable, though [although hard after some point]). Although if you get some big tech (for free) by the AI like feudalism/engineering, begging will cease to work for quite some time (too high peace trade value)
    Spoiler :

My point is that the map is way too easy due to a textbook blocking. Ragnar is vulnerable, true but he got hbr+construction (jumbos) so damn early as well.

19. kossin

kossin Deity

Just checking in... Still not home but Monday is still the planned return date.

Regarding regeneration:

too hard: oh well, it happens. Move on.
    too 'easy': they're fun to play sometimes even though they don't help as much to get better
    other reasons: can't win them all/get bad positions all the time

20. kossin

kossin Deity

I played a while into the game... Domination is the goal. Expect a very long (turn-wise) first round and then I'll focus on the modern war for later rounds.