Dr kossin #30

Thumbs up for modern war, not something that I've seen played through on the forums as much as earlier war. I've been discovering myself lately the joys of tanks/ME/MA/bombers/etc having moved to immortal and having to war in this era more often. Its kind of satisfying. :)

Round 1a

I settled Paris on the wine tile to gain the extra commerce for early research.
Spoiler :

Early on I met Ragnar to the west... I hate that guy!!
Spoiler :

However you can see the small land bridge directly west of Paris... looks like a wonderful choke point!
Spoiler :

Upon discovering Animal Husbandry on t13, you can just see the pleasant surprise I had in my BFC.
Spoiler :

Especially since I started with TW. I made a Chariot and then a settler for the choke.

Good, not in semi-isolation with Ragnar...
Spoiler :

On t42 I settle Orleans and the choke is complete! The marble is a bonus as well.
Spoiler :

Around this time I realized there was a lot of land to the north and it looked free from anyone... that meant more barbs (easy Heroic Epic) but also that I'd need a lot of worker turns. As a result I researched Sailing early on so that my workers would have something else to do than make roads. I also had a workboat exploring and found Pacal had a few intercontinental cities I opened borders and the WE bug told me Gandhi was in the game.
Spoiler :

On t83 I got my Academy. Never too early I say.
Spoiler :

I met Gandhi on the same turn and opened borders for more trade route goodies.
Spoiler :

Met Joao a bit later. As I couldn't get a workboat to his network however, I kept my borders closed.
Spoiler :

Strangely enough, Pacal and Gandhi were slow to Alphabet. Joao had it however...
Spoiler :

Gandhi and Pacal both went down to Aesthetics apparently.
Spoiler :

As usual I couldn't get the right religion spread and also Ragnar had a different religion from Pacal. I couldn't gift a city to Ragnar so I gave him a bunch of techs to bump him to Pleased. Maybe this wasn't needed since Ragnar lacked metals (although he had horses and ivory) but better be safe than sorry.
Spoiler :

As I hadn't revolted to Slavery yet, I did a double-revolt which saved me 1 turn overall.
Spoiler :

Getting Ragnar to Pleased means he's willing to trade techs, which is good.
Spoiler :

So, what's a Industrious fella with Marble to do?
Spoiler :

Ragnar once again proved a great asset to my empire by offering a Civil Service trade.
Spoiler :

At this point he converted to Hinduism so I triggered a Golden Age to revolt to Bureaucracy+Organized Religion in Hinduism as well. It also allowed me to boost GPP production in Paris a bit.
Spoiler :

Strangely, this guy was left unbuilt...
Spoiler :

The Oracle civilization didn't take Metal Casting it seems.

I pushed forward to Liberalism from there. As I finished Education, Pacal did as well. Thankfully I had a spare Great Scientist.
Spoiler :

This trade opens the Liberalism bulb...

And I selected Nationalism to build the Taj Mahal.

Backfilling...
Spoiler :

Wonderspamming...
Spoiler :

Backfilling again...
Spoiler :

And another Wonder...
Spoiler :

I actually double-checked to see if this was Deity at this point. By 1AD I had decided this was going to be a Domination/Conquest game in the modern era... so I just expanded peacefully and played ahead.

Continued...

Round 1b

I don't like the Worst Enemy bug but... whatever.
Mehmed is in the game too.
Spoiler :

I'm trade happy.
Spoiler :

It took me a long time before sparing hammers to capture the barb cities, but eventually I got them all.
Spoiler :

Maces vs. Archers isn't exactly fair :)

As I said...
Spoiler :

And here's the last AI:
Spoiler :

This trade slows Ragnar down and adds brownie favorite civic points to diplo.
Spoiler :

Some more trades...
Spoiler :

Having both Ragnar and Pacal at Friendly made this easy... we're years ahead the competition.
Spoiler :

I stopped as I finished Flight.
Spoiler :

Here's a NON-RESIZED view of the world. I'm lacking Uranium otherwise I have every strategic resource.
Spoiler :

Diplo... not that it matters here.
Spoiler :

I'm going to bulldoze over cottages/towns in favor of workshops/watermills.
Spoiler :

F1 screen.
Spoiler :

Now starts the military buildup. I basically have nothing at this point, but something tells me the game will be over in exactly 62 turns. It can be done faster no doubt (say, if you acquire Uranium if will be pretty fast) as I didn't micro intensively at all after it became clear I was steamrolling the AIs.

Here are the planned wars:
  1. Ragnar - natural target next door and the biggest threat.
  2. Pacal - has basically every good wonder and also a natural target
  3. Hatty - When's the last time you saw Tanks vs Longbows on Deity?
  4. Mehmed - Also very backwards.

Looks like this map is too easy for you :)

Anyways.. a bit of luck in the late parth, tgl and colossus dates compared to my game.

Also.. it doesn't say in your writeup, but did you have to close borders with ragnar again at some point to save the Barb cities for yourself? I kinda didn't, and had to take them out a lot earlier as Viking horsearchers were swarming around (they were quite helpful, Vikings though :))

That's a disgusting techrate at 1580AD :eek:

I think this is going to over rather quickly, will be able to out-build units even against deity AI with 16 cities. Someone needs to engineer a stupidly hard but winnable deity map for kossin to try ;)

Also.. it doesn't say in your writeup, but did you have to close borders with ragnar again at some point to save the Barb cities for yourself

That's what i asked myself too so i checked the screenshots and they all show open borders. Also, how did you keep him from settling behind you with galleys?

Nice write-up again, i really enjoy reading your series :)

You have 16 cities on deity from peace rexing? Wow to easy. Regen.
As much as I'd like to play Louis again, or over and over... or just a Creative civ over and over for that matter, I've already finished the game and I'll just move on to the next leader once this one is over.

Possible, or...

You take the starting save and show us how hard this save can be? :lol:
Actually, I'd recommend this map for people trying out Deity. Settle Paris on the Wine to get BFC horses (even if you settle in place, you'll have horses in time for barbs from Creative), block the chokepoint, get Ragnar to at least Pleased and the game is pretty easy... just keep expanding.

Looks like this map is too easy for you :)

Anyways.. a bit of luck in the late parth, tgl and colossus dates compared to my game.

Also.. it doesn't say in your writeup, but did you have to close borders with ragnar again at some point to save the Barb cities for yourself? I kinda didn't, and had to take them out a lot earlier as Viking horsearchers were swarming around (they were quite helpful, Vikings though :))
The RNG will do that. When I decided to build Colossus I noticed no one had Metal Casting... so it was an easy decision.

Actually, Ragnar never sent a settler via galley. I did settle the coastal sites first so he would be less enticed to send settlers by galley however.
He also never really sent HAs to be honest... it's beyond my understanding of the game what he was doing. The first units that crossed my borders to attack the barb cities were Knights :lol: Too little too late.

That's a disgusting techrate at 1580AD :eek:

I think this is going to over rather quickly, will be able to out-build units even against deity AI with 16 cities. Someone needs to engineer a stupidly hard but winnable deity map for kossin to try ;)
Techrate is okay, it'd be a lot higher with a cottage spam. I would have gone that way probably if I had The Kremlin but Pacal was there way before me.

I don't want to play cooked games for this series now. There's always challenges that can be posted as separate threads... I'm focusing on actual maps here. True this is an easy one, but you'll encounter those as you play as well.

That's what i asked myself too so i checked the screenshots and they all show open borders. Also, how did you keep him from settling behind you with galleys?

Nice write-up again, i really enjoy reading your series :)
He just didn't... sorry I don't know why as I said a few lines up. I settled near the coast and filled the inland spots later.

Round 2a

To be honest, this isn't a good map to showcase modern war... there's just way too much production available that it's silly.

Basically what I did was:
  • Workshop/Watermill over every cottage
  • Revolt to Police State/Vassalage/Caste System/Theology
  • Build a fleet (6 carriers full of fighters, several Battleships to control the seas... it didn't work perfectly as it's kinda hard to keep track of so many units with high movement. Later on I added transports to ship troops)
  • Build a large Bomber squadron. Around 30.
  • *Tank
Once I had about 100 tanks, I declared war on Ragnar, killed his SoD with air bombardment (send Fighters first to absorb the fire, then the bombers sweep in unchallenged) with little casualties (thanks to the RNG) and then all that's left to do is take cities.

Nonetheless, Ragnar is a good troop spammer and a few cities exchanged hands a few times (bad garrisoning from my part and surprise amphibious assaults). 3 turns in the war however, he choked and stayed in his cities.

Spoiler :

He was willing to Capitulate after Nidaros fell... however I decided to get him off the landmass.
Spoiler :

That was the only challenge all game. The rest was easy because my targets were selected for good reasons.

Pacal: same landmass and doesn't build many troops.
Spoiler :

I did lose a lot of Tanks however as I couldn't get enough Bombers in the are and was attacking fully healed units behind their fortifications quite a few times.

Hatty: Tanks vs Longbows.... enough said
Spoiler :

I was about 5% shy of land domination at that point. There were 3 targets left:
Gandhi - he'd been at war for a long time and had quite a few units surprisingly
Joao - ended up the most advanced after Pacal fell. He had Mechanized Infantry
Mehmed - big troop spammer... Rifles however. Perfect target.

Continued...

Round 2b

First, I asked Gandhi to make peace with Mehmed. As they had been fighting for a long time (and Gandhi was winning badly due to modern units) I didn't want to risk a capitulation to Gandhi which would lengthen the game.
Spoiler :

It wasn't very fair or contested...
Spoiler :

That was just enough for Domination.
Spoiler :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Post-game

Not the most exciting of games, actually pretty boring. However it is nice to be able to stick it to the AI once in a while :D After the previous game where Qin had a huge amount of land to himself it was sure welcome.

I'd recommend this map to anyone willing to try out Deity. All you have to do really is to dodge an early DoW by Ragnar (not hard, he has no metals) and keep up in tech.

Top 5 cities, with a look on wonders not under my control:
Spoiler :

Things built/lost/killed
Spoiler :

Cottages were captured. I bulldozed over mine and had automated workers before going to war.

Finally, the joke of the powergraph.
Spoiler :

I lost a few units initially when fighting Ragnar but after that it's clear sailing.

That's it for this one, see you tomorrow with Hammurabi I think.

With so ridiculously many units what does the demography screen say you have many in the army?

@ kossin - a question
Spoiler :
Do you think it's worthwhile for an emperor level player to try this knowing ahead of time that the northern land is uncontested?

@ kossin - a question
Spoiler :
Do you think it's worthwhile for an emperor level player to try this knowing ahead of time that the northern land is uncontested?

Sure, why not?
It's even worthwhile to play a game for 100 turns, then do it again but that time try to make better decisions, based on the knowledge you see rather than the one you know.

It helps you to learn when to get production vs economic techs e.g. BW vs Pottery/Writing.

In this case, with BFC horses I went early Pottery and BW came pretty late, after Writing I believe.

Upon discovering Animal Husbandry on t13, you can just see the pleasant surprise I had in my BFC.

Just wondering. Why did you go straight for AH, and not through Hunting?
Your worker would be idle for 2 turns, but could build a road, and if there's no horses having hunting would help ... unless you also find time for Mi-BW and hook up copper before getting attacked, which isn't likely, right?

I did consider it at the beginning of the thread.
The actual saved beakers weren't that important and the gained food/hammers were deemed more important.

Top Bottom