Dr kossin Bullpen

Archipelago is too much unit micro for me. I'll look at the map generation tutorial and try to come up with a map type for this one.
Aren't rainforest/arboria mainly pangea-like with a ton of trees to chop? That'd be welcoming cats/praetorians so much...

Dr kossin #15 is now up!
Julius Caesar is the chosen leader and we are playing on Inland_Sea with a Cylindrical world wrap for a change...

Will there be iron... or more importantly... will there be food for the start?

Dr kossin #15 has come to an end.

The next leader in line is Gandhi! Any suggestions for a map type? Otherwise it's back to good old Fractal. Continents? Earth2? Lakes? NOT Arboria, Fast Workers give too much of an advantage with chops.

Personally, I find most of the maps unbalanced and Fractal/Pangea/Continents seem to be the ones where the AI performs the best.

Deity is still giving me headaches so that's out of the question for now :D

Dr kossin #16 is now up!

Back to Fractal as 24 hours didn't yield any suggestion.

If this game is another spanking of the AI, I may consider moving the series up a notch... the last games have certainly not been challenging me that much.

A few conditions would be required for that to happen though:
-likely shorter rounds: I need more time to play on Deity as things change a lot faster and you need to check everything every round
-no isolation/semi-isolation maps: Deity itself is hard enough and I'd need a hand.
-patience... early DoWs on Deity can mean Game Over quite fast.
-Mayday!
-more offline practice: I've only got a couple Deity wins in my hand and often struggle on the level. I've yet to win a complete warfare game.

Any suggestions? I'd certainly accept someone providing maps on that level that aren't too mean to start.

Dr kossin #16 is now over.

The next leader in the lineup is Mansa Musa.

With the way the last game went, I'd stick to Immortal for at least a few more games. Although, given the right map, Deity with Mansa isn't too much of a stretch.

Dr kossin #17 is now over. Thanks to the monster capital, this was a fairly easy game.

Next game up is with Qin Shi Huang (Ind/Pro). Should I try another broken map type or stick to the ones where the AI fares better?

Dr kossin #18 has come to an end.
After the great capital we got in the previous game, this time it was a real biter and the AI got the nice starts.

Next leader up in line is Justinian (Spi/Imp). Will the Cataphracts see action?
I like them less than Cuirassiers though as they don't ignore walls and castles... you need a bunch of spies and EP to use them well.

Any suggestions for map type?

Rainforest, but that's not very conducive to cataphracts.
I looked at a few maps... shouldn't the name be rainjungle? OMG, so much jungle!
On the plus side there are a lot of resources.
I don't think I want to clear this much jungle although Spiritual could make good use of Serfdom for once. I'll keep this in mind for the Asoka game hehe.

If you want horse wars, can always try on a map like Great Plains.

The problem with Great Plains is balance. If you start in the west portion of the map, you get peaks, desert and sometimes no food at all in your BFC. If you start on the eastern portion OTOH, the game's just about won right then. But then again I checked a eastern start where the settler was stuck in jungle knee-deep. This map type is obviously broken so I'll avoid it.

That being said, let's try a Continents game and hope for a 2-continent one with 2+ neighbors (and not just Shaka next door with BFC copper).

EDIT: Dr kossin #19 is now up!

Dr kossin #19 is now done. Cavalry were really powerful so let's go on to...

Dr kossin #20 featuring Catherine (Cre/Imp) of Russia with even more powerful Cossacks!

Most of the games I remember playing as Catherine are fond memories... it was especially nice on Vanilla with the 18 strength ones available even earlier.

I don't have a map preference at the moment and will wait a few hours for suggestions. Otherwise it's back to good ol' Fractal.

Top Bottom