• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dune: Fight for Arrakis

ok, i haven't been around alot, cuz i been mighty busy at home with personal affairs, but anyways,
karaman, nice concepts, i think i might try to combine mine and your ideas together
as for the worm, im liking it, could do well for a rider as you said,
the harvester is ok, but it has to big of a "hump" maybe size it down a bit(looks
turtle-ish) and fix the textures a bit to
as for the cinema 4d 5, im gonna look for it :)

Actually I think if some good textures are applied the 'hump' on the back won't look too bad. If you have something like Photoshop or some other decent image editor you can use a texture like the one I'm going to attach as an image and just mess around with colors and such. I suggest taking the image, tinting the whole thing a tanish color and applying that to the brown parts of your model. The other parts look a little plain to, but the modelling is detailed enough to compensate.

Attachments

• b5hull.jpeg
    b5hull.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 298
Well, now I am working on a new Harvester, I am trying to make it
resemble the one in the first Dune film.

Here is a Maya rendered image (no materials, just shaded).
I still have to finish the nose section with the trunk and the tower above the nose and the exhaust pipe (which looks like chimney in the film)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 275
Here is the original I would like to stick to, but sometimes it gets on my nerves!

Attachments

• harvester.jpg
    harvester.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 279
wow, thats sweet,
looks like the real thing

here's a few tech items i whipped up

Attachments

• Project1.jpg
    Project1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 290
I have an idea.

Spice harvesting could be like mining in the Age of Discovery scenario. Make desert unbuildable (City founding disallowed) with small 1x1 patches of buildable terrain. In each of these small squares there is a "Spice" resource that is required for a "Spice Refinery" that produces a treasure unit (Spice shipment) every # turns. These shipments can only be picked up by harvesters. You shouldn't be able to build anything in the desert (Especially not roads) and it should give 0 food, 0 shields and 0 commerce to disallow economic growth away from the rock.

Another view, Will Add Isometric 64x64 images tomorrow :)

P.S. I think I found a Bug in the Tower Section. Will be fixed tomorrow.

Attachments

• h_rvester2.jpg
    h_rvester2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 294
that link could prove quite useful

as for the harvestor,
sweet.....

That is REALLY good modelling! Once textures are applied this harvester will make a surprisingly good unit! :goodjob:

Once I'm done what I'm working on now I think I'd like to make the ornithopter. I'm thinking of using a some-what original design, were basically the wings are more like bird wings, since in the novels the descriptions seem to lean more towards that sort of design rather than the flapping jet-like wings that the computer games use. I made a sketch, I just have to get my scanner working (somehow) and I'll show you what I mean.

Orthanc, let's rock :)

About the Orni, it will be a difficult task, I hope you enjoy it :)

About the harvester, Well, textures are a problem :)
I am not good at it :(

I can upload the harvester.mb file if someone is interested in texturizing it. Of course, on a GPL basis!

And I can't make Maya display isometric view, I think it can, but I dont have enough experience to make it do it.

Now I am looking forward to a Carry-All unit. I will try to make it look like the one in the film, but most of the fans will prefer the look in the games: TS and Dune2K.

What do you think, Orthanc, Azuroth?

Attachments

• harvester.gif
    harvester.gif
    38.2 KB · Views: 258
Sounds good Azuroth!

You should definitely read the prequels by Brian Herbert for inspiration. They do a better job of describing the stuff that would be in a civ scenario than the originals. I haven't played any of the games though.

I'm glad someone decided to start this idea up again, since I find the concept of a Dune-based civ 3 mode very enticing... Unfortunately it seems this will be exclusively for C3C, not PTW, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to play. Best of luck to you all anyway...

Yeah the 'thopter will be difficult, especially since I haven't done bird wings before, but that's never stopped me in the past and I enjoy the challenge.

As for the harvester, as said the modelling is fantastic, maybe you could send the model to someone who does know how to texture with that program. Also, generally the veiw is a fair bit higher than you've got it, other than those two things its going very well.

I've read the prequels Gunner and I agree, the prequels have a more strategic and technological veiw rather than the books Frank Herbert wrote which focus more on politics, religion and/or philosophy. I made a lot of skecthes (which I still need to figure out how to scan, stupid technology) while reading the prequels based on ideas I got from them.

mmkay...
Good Luck with that ornithopter orthanc
and karaman, sweet harvestor ;)
i think i might work on making an artillery turret, that'll stay in the base it's made in.
Bolshevik said:
I'm glad someone decided to start this idea up again, since I find the concept of a Dune-based civ 3 mode very enticing... Unfortunately it seems this will be exclusively for C3C, not PTW, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to play. Best of luck to you all anyway...
what are you talking about? i said it's gonna be PTW as that's all i have.

My ideas for turrets:

Artillery Turret is Auto bombardment (like Coastal Fortress)
Rocket Turrent is a Unit Like Stealth Fighter but range only 2-3 and no movement/relocation

Artillery Turret upgrades to Laser Turret

Laser Turret is buildable only with Walls (not with Force Field)

Force Field are like Walls but Laser Turrets cannot be built.

Force Field gives 75% defence against bombardment and 50% defence against Non-infantry units or so

Walls give 25% defence against bombardment and 50 against non-infantry.

Does anyone think this can be achieved with C3C settings

I have shots of a low-poly carry-all and will make some tries. I am still looking for texture guru. I can prepare texture maps for all parts of the harvester. And will upload them here ASAP. If someone can make them and upload them, it will be great!

I am going to read the prequels. It's 40 C at home. I feel like I am on Arakis myself :)

I think it might be possible to set up the defense systems that way, if it is that's great because that setup is very accurate.

40 Celsius? What area do you live in? I've never seen it get to 35 C here.

Enjoy the prequels!

Imagination is OK. Skills missing :(

Here is a Trike Concept. Ugly :(

Attachments

• trike_concept.jpg
    trike_concept.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 243
If it's only a concept its good, the gattling guns look fine, as well as the basice frame. The tires obviously need to be more detailed but you can handle that. Maybe for the cockpit you could just put a few panels across the frame you have, along with an engine of some sorts at the back and only one window at the front, if you know what I mean. With the basic frame you've got there I yhink a more 'open' design would work best instead of the enclosed capsule that you have. Just some ideas.

Top Bottom