Duration of a CIV game ?

Humungus

Chieftain
Hello,

Have you ever evaluated the duration of your games ?
If so, at what settings (level, nb of civs, map, ...) to have a realistic comparison.
And have you done such controls on other versions of the game (CIV2, .... 5 and 6). I suppose duration is exponential with the version !
I've decided to do so, and installed a timer on my pc.
Have a nice day.

Humungus

it all depends on how much you want to go into details. Some people click dispassionately and others (like me) plan, for example location of cities on the map or (np early stages) often check cities to produce units as soon as possible.
It also depends on how aggressively and expansively you play. I often don't even have it in my games 1AD playing against 6 races on emperor.
I very often dont end the game when iI see that I have such an advantage that the game becomes boring.

Long time ago, i had timed my games (level king or less), and it was 10~12h
With my timer, i'll be more acurate ...
I'll tell you back

I don't usually build large empires so my games rarely last more than a day or two. If I'm playing OCC, or running a small civ, I can bang a game out in an afternoon. Chariot conquest is probably even quicker, but I haven't done that in over 20 years.

First game timed : emperor, random map, 7 civ, end at 1885 : game win in 9h40' !

2nd game timed : emperor, random map, 7 civ, end at 1816 : game lost in 8h37'

3rd game timed : emperor, random map, 7 civ, end at 1841 : game won in 11h52'

When I've played in the last few years, It's generally been 1-2hrs, under 10 cities, and playing to build an unassailable lead by 1AD (at which point I quit).

As a kid, I played much larger games that took several days, but I don't have time any more. Perhaps towards the end of my life I'll once again have time to return to huge games of civ1 :)

When I've played in the last few years, It's generally been 1-2hrs, under 10 cities, and playing to build an unassailable lead by 1AD (at which point I quit).

As a kid, I played much larger games that took several days, but I don't have time any more. Perhaps towards the end of my life I'll once again have time to return to huge games of civ1 :)
Difficult to compare, if you stop the game before the end ...
;-)

game lost in 8h37'
game lost in 8h01'

Meybe change level of difficulty?

My last game lasted ok 6h25min to 280 BC

As usual my strategy is conquest and not expanding the cities, but their number but this time I dont change even political system to Monarchy but just play all way on Despotism.

You too can play on this map:

if you are also going to play I recommend not watching this game too closely and recommend starting the game differently than I did.
I had to start the game 4 times to prove that it is possible to win without the huge handicap you can get i.e. free city from hut (tribal village).

Meybe change level of difficulty?

My last game lasted ok 6h25min to 280 BC

As usual my strategy is conquest and not expanding the cities, but their number but this time I dont change even political system to Monarchy but just play all way on Despotism.

You too can play on this map:

if you are also going to play I recommend not watching this game too closely and recommend starting the game differently than I did.
I had to start the game 4 times to prove that it is possible to win without the huge handicap you can get i.e. free city from hut (tribal village).
This gaming level is good for me : sometimes i win, sometimes i loose. It always maintains the suspense ! I dont want to play only by conquest, i only conquest my native continent and then try to catch up my growth ******ation as fast as possible in republic (and later democracy)
In your video game you had disabled barbarians, i suppose. In my games i must alway have one combat unit near cities to prevent barbarian raids.
And i'm not as lucky as you with the huts (always new techs !!!) ...
Bye

This gaming level is good for me : sometimes i win, sometimes i loose. It always maintains the suspense ! I dont want to play only by conquest, i only conquest my native continent and then try to catch up my growth ******ation as fast as possible in republic (and later democracy)
In your video game you had disabled barbarians, i suppose. In my games i must alway have one combat unit near cities to prevent barbarian raids.
Bye
Ah, and in order to prevent the mongol strategy, whitch is boring me, i've downgraded the chariots to : 3/1/2-30 instead of 4/1/2-40 and legions to : 3/2/1-30 instead of 3/1/1-20. The conquest strategy is a lot of more complicated, and it gives more interest to the knights and the legions !

There is some wisdom in what you write.
For me the game is too easy so now I am more desire to create new maps/scenarios than plays in game. But when create map i must check if it's playable enough so I play,
I have created 5 more maps and I need to play them before I post them on the forum.
Hmm...Maybe is a thing.
I must have to check did I really get that many? But in the first turns, military units and, above all, cities for free are more important than technology.
As you may have noticed, technology was basically unnecessary for me. In the cities, I didn't even build any buildings except barracks. In fact, I could even go 100% tax in this game. I just noticed it now :p
Hmm.. Map without Hut. :old: Interesting idea.

If you can, please play on this map. I'm curious about your feedback.

There is some wisdom in what you write.
For me the game is too easy so now I am more desire to create new maps/scenarios than plays in game. But when create map i must check if it's playable enough so I play,
I have created 5 more maps and I need to play them before I post them on the forum.

Hmm...Maybe is a thing.
I must have to check did I really get that many? But in the first turns, military units and, above all, cities for free are more important than technology.
As you may have noticed, technology was basically unnecessary for me. In the cities, I didn't even build any buildings except barracks. In fact, I could even go 100% tax in this game. I just noticed it now :p
Hmm.. Map without Hut. :old: Interesting idea.

If you can, please play on this map. I'm curious about your feedback.
ok, i will testit !

My games last for several weeks, sometimes even a month or two, at a rate of 45 minutes per day.
Some days I play for more than an hour, but others I don't play at all, either due to lack of time or wanting to do something else.
I always play King level with 7 civs and I love building large empires and spend a lot of time in micromanagement.
I always check each and every city before advancing to the next turn.
I usually abandon games when it becomes pretty clear that I will win and the entire map has been revealed.

Top Bottom