• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dutch preview with some new screenshots (Tweakers, August 19)

What the heck is that square thing in the upper left corner of the first image?

What image are you talking about? Greece introduction? There are no square things for me.

Oliarchy: 33% combat strength for military units inside your empire's borders.
What is the logic here?
What does oligarchy have to do with defensive military strength?

I guess the idea is that elite spend lots of money to protect their valuable assets?
Pretty weak logical link here.

There seems to be a lot of friendly territory bonuses for units, Minuteman FTW?

It feels sometimes like they're trying to cram too many different concepts into just enemy/friendly terrain or rough/open terrain bonuses.

Does the penalty damage from being adjacent to a citadel stack? Do you lose 6 health if you end next to two citadels?

If that's the case, then China with it's UA, can actually make a pretty good wall!

What is the logic here?

I guess the idea is that elite spend lots of money to protect their valuable assets?

Yeah, I agree.

I hope this gets tweaked until release... :(

Does the penalty damage from being adjacent to a citadel stack? Do you lose 6 health if you end next to two citadels?
I'd doubt it. Seems far more likely to be "you take 3 damage if you end next to any citadel improvements".

Hitorically speaking, oligarchs were usually landowners, so it makes sense that they would make greater efforts to protect their land.

What is the logic here?

Gameplay > Realism.

A couple of comments on the screenshots:

1. Augustus Caesar is incredibly ugly.

2. Do we know what all the resources in these screenshots are? There are two in particular I've never seen before in the last screenshot, one of them near the top of the screen and the other one at the far right. I'm guessing the first one is rice or sugar, and the other one is sugar or spices. I really hope rice is in (and corn, though I doubt it) because wheat is the only farmable food resource I've seen.

Gameplay > Realism.
Sure, but what is the gameplay advantage of making oligarchy about defensive military strength?

You couldn't think of another effect?

Maybe agricultural bonuses (if its supposed to represent a landed elite) or trade or trading post or trade route bonuses (if its a corporate oligarchy) or bonuses in the capital (a bureaucratic oligarchy)?

because wheat is the only farmable food resource I've seen.
Wheat is the only farmable food (though there are also deer and cattle and fish).

Health is gone, so no more gameplay need for multiple identical food boosters.
[Though having multiples would still be visually more interesting, and would make different continents feel more different.]

artillery...

but yes, very unhappy:
see, that civ has 10 red faces (top line), so that is why units are very unhappy effected (10 or more red faces cause this),
now we see the info, that it is -33% str "bonus"...

Now we know why you need to capture all the enemy capitals rather than a high percentage of all the world's cities for a domination victory.

Expansion is definitely being controlled, which in turn scales down the size of armies.

All of the screenies are in windowed mode and the title is "Sid Meier's Civilization V (DX9)".. so I guess that means the game will have a windowed mode and these screen shots are without DX10 and DX11 features.

Now we know why you need to capture all the enemy capitals rather than a high percentage of all the world's cities for a domination victory.

That one, along with all the other win conditions, has been confirmed for quite some time (maybe on the day it was announced, actually).

That one, along with all the other win conditions, has been confirmed for quite some time (maybe on the day it was announced, actually).

A close reading of my perhaps too-lengthy post should reveal that I didn't announce a victory condition, but note that the just-released specific example of captured city unhappiness underlines why a strategy of mass conquest wouldn't work.

A close reading of my perhaps too-lengthy post should reveal that I didn't announce a victory condition, but note that the just-released specific example of captured city unhappiness underlines why a strategy of mass conquest wouldn't work.

Ah, gotcha. Although in my defense, I'd say my interpretation was understandable since you broke those two up into two different paragraphs, which to me means "OK, finished that thought and now moving onto another one." But that's probably the news writer in me speaking. :lol:

someone explain this screenshot to me.

http://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/imagelarge/1282246701.jpeg

We see the greek intro dialogue, but (assuming greece to be light blue) they are already developed? Note the dialogue button says "Continue your journey."

Perhaps it is simply possible to bring that screen up at any time to check your civ's unique abilities. That could be one explanation.

One other thing is that it seems a bit anachronistic for a civ game to talk about what the Greeks achieved in the 5th century BC.

This made me think of another point, is it definitely confirmed that the game is starting in 4000 BC as we assume? I've been trying to find early-game screenshots that show the date but haven't had much luck.

someone explain this screenshot to me.

http://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/imagelarge/1282246701.jpeg

We see the greek intro dialogue, but (assuming greece to be light blue) they are already developed? Note the dialogue button says "Continue your journey."

Perhaps it is simply possible to bring that screen up at any time to check your civ's unique abilities. That could be one explanation.

One other thing is that it seems a bit anachronistic for a civ game to talk about what the Greeks achieved in the 5th century BC.

This made me think of another point, is it definitely confirmed that the game is starting in 4000 BC as we assume? I've been trying to find early-game screenshots that show the date but haven't had much luck.

My guess is that we're looking at some Scenario.

Top Bottom